Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Bait Killer
NOOB

Cold weather gear

Hello everyone,

Looking into buying some waders for this up coming winter. Any recommendations on brand and style?

Thanks...
Bait Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
easyday

Simms makes some great waders but they can be $$$
Old 10-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
King Saba

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Caddis-Me...ingMethod=p13n

I use this. If you're feeling cold you can always layer up by wearing thermals or sweats.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
GTboosted

Just out of curiosity, why use waders?

I have a few waterproof pants that are flexible and breathe well. Waders cant provide more coverage right?...and if you flip or take a wave while launching, you're in for a bad day.

If it was withing my budget right now, I would probably look into the kokatat gore-tex suits
GTboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Just out of curiosity, why use waders?

I have a few waterproof pants that are flexible and breathe well. Waders cant provide more coverage right?...and if you flip or take a wave while launching, you're in for a bad day.

If it was withing my budget right now, I would probably look into the kokatat gore-tex suits
Google: waders myth you tube

Waders keep you dry and layers keep you warm. Warm and dry is a bonus in a kayak.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Harry Hill

wear a belt around the waders at the waist, keep them from filling to fast. I get pretty hot pretty fast in my insulated waders so I will save them for really cold weather. When the weather cools off I will probably just wear my paddling pants over thermals for right now.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Google: waders myth you tube

Waders keep you dry and layers keep you warm. Warm and dry is a bonus in a kayak.
True true but a quick search shows them busting the myth of waders sinking you down but that didn't occur to me(I would just take them off). I was thinking more of them getting wet and not drying. It looks like Harry Hill has a tip for that though.

I have flipped one of my kayaks in open calm water and sure most have, having quick drying clothes is a must. Also if you go out in rough surf...even if you dont eat it, you will take a big fat wave to your upper body. The rest of the day will suck

In all these scenarios, I think high performance waterproof pants and jacket are better suited.....sure you'll get wet but in a short time you will be fully dry. If you really want to stay dry, a gore tex dry suit is better.

Also, lets assume you don't plan on flipping or taking a wave...why not just wear waterproof clothing you already own plus a base layer?
GTboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
Phishphood

Down here in warm water sd I wear waterproof paddling pants that have velcro and neoprene cuffs and waist band. Worn over board shorts this has been plenty. I layer my top half and wear a cheap waterproof shell jacket while launching. It doesn't breath for crap but does the job during surf launches and colder windy days.

Up north wetsuits and dry suits are the norm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #9
DPevin

The real question here is....

Who has found that magic combo of dry and warm clothing for cold weather, but allows for quick and easy non restrictive taking of a leak?
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
skrilla

Boardshorts year round with UV proof quick drying long sleeve. Splash jacket on colder days. I have a Stohlquist Torrent ST jacket that has held up great over 2 seasons.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
Lipripper92592

Some gear you might be interested in

If you needs some waterproof winter gear, shoot me a pm.
I have a set of Bomber Gear Kayak Pants Jacket, that when worm in conjunction, it's about close to a dry suit you can get. $150 for the set.
Only used a few times.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
chris138
donkey roper

The majority of heat loss in the lower body is through the feet. The splash pants are an easy but cold option for a real winter day. Sure you can go out there in boardshorts, but you wont be comfortable on any but the warmest winter days. Full stocking foot breathable waders, and impermeable shell jacket over. warm layers as needed underneath. You can be fully submerged and totally dry underneath.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #13
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I agree with Chris, it's all about the feet for me. I tried splash pants with a few different neoprene shoes and always ended up with cold wet feet. Breathable stockingfoot waders worked well. Add thermals and wool socks as needed and I stayed warm and dry.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #14
DPevin

Surfing booties have worked well for me to keep my feet warm.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
krusty
Junior

Up in norcal, the ocean temperature is around 53 in the summer. A lot of us wear kokatat hydrus 3l supernova angler paddling suits. What you wear underneath depends on your cold tolerance. The best part is it has a relief zipper, so taking a piss is super easy. And if you happen to piss on your legs by accident, just splash some water on it.
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #16
Hunters Pa

I use treaded dive booties and splash pants. Yes, my feet get wet but they don't get cold. I have a set of hodgeman neoprene waders from when I would float tube but only use those in the Sierras when I am chipping ice off the yak before launching
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #17
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've tried the thick dive booties and 8-10 hours of wet feet is no good. I think the booties restrict blood circulation a bit as well which may contribute to me getting cold feet. I'm better off with just Crocs since at least they dry.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote