Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #21
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Fish and dive....what wake?

I usually charge the wake and try to launch off it if they're big, just for fun.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
hang each foot over the side and just roll with it.

Yup. Lowers your center of gravity & acts as stabilizers. & have your paddle in hands to brace/push down on teh water should you start to tip.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #23
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

you wont flip on a wake. ipromise
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #24
taggermike

Some bays are easy as they have speed limits or don't have navy or comercial traffic. Like others said stay aware of what is going on around you, lower your center of gravity, and realize you're gonna get a lap full of water no matter how you take the wake. I would recomend just getting used to your kayak first and starting in a calmer bay. Others may back me up or disagree but if you're in the outer portion San Diego Bay and one, or several, of those huge orange "sea tractor" tugs goes by you are in for an adventure. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #25
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Some bays are easy as they have speed limits or don't have navy or comercial traffic. Like others said stay aware of what is going on around you, lower your center of gravity, and realize you're gonna get a lap full of water no matter how you take the wake. I would recomend just getting used to your kayak first and starting in a calmer bay. Others may back me up or disagree but if you're in the outer portion San Diego Bay and one, or several, of those huge orange "sea tractor" tugs goes by you are in for an adventure. Mike

Those are the only things I look out for, even when I had my 19' PB those damned tugs would come flying by on both sides and send you for a ride!

Recently however there was this odd looking ship with a flat(almost to the waterline) deck that was hauling serious ass past a few of us near the Coronado bridge, biggest wakes I've ever been in...PB or otherwise. That thing sent people running from the ferry dock! I swear the wake was so bad it felt like it bounced off the opposite end of the bay and came back after the first set passed.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #26
min-va

So much great info, thanks!

And yea, just basically i am worry about newport, since is a big harbor, but i think it should be fine, will practice and get use to my kayak in the back bay first.
min-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #27
min-va

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
take your yak out and play with it under a peir... you will be a pro soon enough... or if you want to be really good, you could also go out to "Wade's" reefs during a big swell, high tide, during the new moon, pulling on hoops... make you an expert in no time!
That sounds crazy for me
min-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #28
taggermike

Mazilla, i think those boats/ships are navy SEAL attack boats. Do they look low, black, pointed, fast, and scarey? They come out of Glorieta Bay and just haul ass. I think those rigs have a couple of big helicopter turbine engines and when we see them are only going about 20% of what they can do. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #29
coxtanker421

some of you are sick in the head. well most of us are. it depends on yak and rider . my hobie is 36 ' wide . you can stand on it and wiz on a calm day. on the other hand if you have 28 ' wide , like jim would say where your head goes your body will follow. if your leaning off of a narrow yak and wake hits you from the side, yes you could flip. hell i flipped it 1/4 of the times out. untill i hired a pro and got a few lessons.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #30
grey zone

I turn completely sideways to big wakes. Kayaks are narrow, you fit in the troughs and float over the crests. Taking wakes head on is OK if you want to get wet.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #31
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Mazilla, i think those boats/ships are navy SEAL attack boats. Do they look low, black, pointed, fast, and scarey? They come out of Glorieta Bay and just haul ass. I think those rigs have a couple of big helicopter turbine engines and when we see them are only going about 20% of what they can do. Mike
It wasn't one of those zodiac style boats, it was 30'+ freight hauler of some sort, it had a high bow and high cabin, but the length of the deck was almost at water level. It looked like it was intended to sink a little to allow something on the water to ride in the middle...if that makes sense.

That guy was causing some major wake, I'd be surprised if it didn't damage something along the way.

Edit to add: the vessel looked similar to this...

Last edited by mazilla; 10-27-2011 at 12:45 PM.