Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
yaky yak

Lingcod

Any one have any advice on targeting this fish in our local waters. Iv'e seen some big ones caught in la jolla, and I bet the kelp off Dana may have them too.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaky yak View Post
Any one have any advice on targeting this fish in our local waters. Iv'e seen some big ones caught in la jolla, and I bet the kelp off Dana may have them too.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Took my Pro Angler out to Dana Pt last weekend and caught this lil guy. +/- 60 feet of water while trying to catch a halibut. Got him on a greenback. Lings typically like the hard bottom with lots of jagged rocks and structure to ambush prey. This one was just plain 'ol dumb.

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
maui jim

Thats a real roomy PA.....where the peddels go?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Hobies bait tanks are huge!

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
driftwood

thats what i like about the PA. you could spread eagle your legs for alot of crotch room.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
Thats a real roomy PA.....where the peddels go?
lol

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Nice shirt Steve
Limited Edition!

Shameless Bump promo for the best fishing swag there is.

http://kelpclothing.com/store/produc...wtail-t-shirt/

Check it out
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
xpresso2am

thats it i'm trading my outback for a PA..!! I need that kinda room
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
lamb

Legit thread.

Lingcod loves rocky bottom. You generally find them where you find rockfish. Or where there are rocks. Lingcod is very aggressive and likes bigger bait. I’ve caught them on sardine, macs, bigger heavy jigs too. They’re fun to catch; they hit pretty hard, and kick gooood right after hooked. They can even pull some drag the first few wiggles if you don’t have it crazy tight. Then it’s press elevator button up with descent weight. Mark the spot where you ever hook one; you’ll likely be able to find more when you come back, whenever you come back.

There are internet wisdoms that claim they love sand dabs. I tried a few times, but never caught one on the dab, so it’s internet wisdom for me.

What I know is that they seem to love octopus! We recently had two that came up puking descent size octopus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
... This one was just plain 'ol dumb.
I don’t know Steve… C’mon, there’s been kelp there in Dana, no? Kelp grows on rocks.

We’ve had the same thing happen; we recently started hanging them as by-catch looking for halibut by the kelp in couple of places along LJ kelp.

The other day father of a friend who loves fishing was visiting from overseas, so I went back to one of those places to see if those few lings we caught as by-catch where just that. 60-70 ft, in the kelp. Kind of hard to fish on the bottom, pretty thick kelp, but can be done if no drift early in the morning. We had pretty good action – Brown Rockfish (shallow water), calicos, even reds. The best of all, we kept pulling lings – 3 over 24”, and 4-5 that were barely less than 24”.

At the time, I didn’t read Larry’s post with a reminder for everyone that DFG dropped the keeper ling size down to 22”, so we helped the environment by sending a number of legals (as of present regs) down to the bottom.

Last weekend I had one real nice size - 28”, and it was one of those with blue meat. I forgot to take a pic on the boat, but I got one “before the pan” – the chunk below is form a “normal” color ling.

South La Jolla kelp in 60-70ft is where we’ve been doing good on lingcod lately. You probably can too. On a day without swell like it’s been lately, you can get there on the kayak if you launch from Tourmaline. DO BE CAREFUL - with any swell, that is a tough surf launch.

As of Jan 1 2012, that area will be within South LJ MPA, no more fishing there. I will miss fishing that place. Sunrise over PB

Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
griffsd06

Ling

These are some of the best eating around!
griffsd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Billy V

I got a nice Ling today. It weighed 8 lbs., and it came up with a 5 lb. Vermilion on the same rig. I thought I had a small yellowtail for couple of seconds - lots of bendo on the rod.

-Anywhere there is jagged rocky structure you will find lings. Point Loma Pipe has a fair amount, and many stones along the 9 will have clusters of them. South Lj can be a mine field at times.
A 2 hook rock cod rig with big circle hooks baited w/ squid works well.

Today was a good day for Reds, most were over 5 lb. here.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Billy if those are all 5 lbers that is a really good size bank perch. Looks
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Billy V

Yes, they were all nice quality.
Most fish were over 5 lbs.
It was the only pic I shot from up on the flybridge, and they look small. It was the best rock fish day I have had all summer. We were at the nine, and had good weather.

It was hard for me to turn away from LJ this morning, but there is always tomorrow.