Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Widgeon

LJ 8/3 semi comical. Long winded

Started out a fine morning. I slept in until 5:30 in consideration of the tides. Made it a point to stop at the 24hr Mexican place for a breakfast burrito. All was well.
Then, I got to the beach. Unloading my gear, I realized I had forgotten my sabiki rod and didn't have a back up sabiki rig. Oh well, I'll make some bait somehow.
Get set up and launch about 7am. Pull the yak into knee deep water and as I go to hop in, I slipped off the edge and wound up swimming. No prob, I'm in quick dry attire.
While paddling out, I realized I had forgotten to take my Bonine. Which I generally take on rough days as a precaution. Luckily, I had it with me, but it takes about an hour to kick in.
Get out to the zone and make a Frankenstein sabiki out of a couple 2/0 hooks and a foil type candy wrapper. Hoping to get the macs interested and then snag them with the hooks. Thy occasionally showed some interest, but I couldn't hook any. After about 30-40 minutes of this, I began to feel a little green and considered paddling in.
About this time I saw a fellow yak angler near by and asked if he had a sabiki to spare. He was down to a half of one, but gladly gave me a Spanish he had hooked
I took it and began the slow troll, knowing that the paddling would help my condition. It did and shortly after, I was dried out and feeling better. About this time it started to rain. How cool would it be to fight a fat YT in the rain, I thought. But all I got was wet again.
I trolled back and forth a couple times with no luck. I must say that the one Spanish lasted a good 1.5-2 hours on the troll before I called it. He was released with a slightly enlarged nasal passage
Back at the beach, I jumped off the yak a little early and was soaked up to my neck. At least it wasn't cold out.
Lesson learned, bring extra sabiki rigs. I would consider carrying a rain coat, but I'm sure if I did, I would never see rain on the water again.
Good times
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Oxbeast1210

DAng at least you made the best of it
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 View Post
DAng at least you made the best of it
Between work and watching my not quite 2 y.o. son, Sunday mornings are my only chance to fish. From Sunday afternoon, through the week, I look forward to that time on the water and whatever comes with it.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Oxbeast1210

DO you normally hit La jolla? I need to start going more!
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 View Post
DO you normally hit La jolla? I need to start going more!
5 Sundays in a row.
I hadn't had my yak in the water in over a year before that.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
TekkaYaker
Junior

damn sabiki's

Had a funny sabiki experience a few days ago.. Spent a good 45 min watching greens hit my sabiki with no luck. Soon realized that all the hooks had sheared off and the greens were just tasting the sabiki feathers! Forgot my spare sabiki's on the workbench, will always pack extra sabiki's from here out.. Lesson learned, when the rig drops out the tip of the sabiki rod, hard to see the hooks, but you can usually hear the hooks as they slide out.
TekkaYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
Widgeon

I stopped by Turners yesterday and bought 4 new sabiki rigs.
Stashed them in various places.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
jbasin0
Junior

Nice meeting you out there. Bummer you didn't have any luck with that spanish. I never found any greenies. Ended up going out deep and dropped some squid while hoping for some YT to show up. Saw a couple chasing bait but didn't want the iron. Back at the launch around 3pm with limits of rock fish and a fat sheepshead. Maybe I'll see you next Sunday.
jbasin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
blitzburgh

Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbasin0 View Post
Nice meeting you out there. Bummer you didn't have any luck with that spanish. I never found any greenies. Ended up going out deep and dropped some squid while hoping for some YT to show up. Saw a couple chasing bait but didn't want the iron. Back at the launch around 3pm with limits of rock fish and a fat sheepshead. Maybe I'll see you next Sunday.
Right on, man. Nice to meet you as well. I wondered what happened to you. I did see some guys further out there.
I talked to a diver and he said he saw a school of about 20 YT near that corner where I caught mine last week.

Unless something comes up, I'll be there next Sunday morning. Let's talk later In the week and maybe meet up at one launch or another.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Or, As Churchill said, " We shall never surrender!"
Old 08-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
octico

I always carry an extra small Kastmaster with me, just in case I forget my sabiki. The work pretty good and take up very little room.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote