Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Makobob needs HELP

My feet are bad and not getting better. Getting VERY hard to peddle effectively and I am not ready put the paddle down YET. So your input is asked for.

REQUIREMENTS:::::....... Weight under 60 lbs rigged.
Price under $3000.
Sit on top.

Ready to pull the trigger on a STEALTH Pro Fisha 525, any input appreciated.
Should be drivivg to Lodi Ca this coming week. Thanks guy's, Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 07-31-2016 at 05:24 PM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
My feet are bad and not getting better. Getting VERY hard to peddle effectively and I am not ready put the paddle down YET. So your input is asked for.

Price under $3000.
Sit on top.

OK Trident 11 probably fits and can buy 2 for that price. Rod pod is very nice but your rod length will be limited with an 11 footer. Bummer Bob!
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
TheBoyScout

Come to my gym in Vista and I'll help you out. I specialize in pain management

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

NOT about the pain, been managing that, it's about the use of both feet, Knew years ago I would wind up in a wheel chair. This is about finding a yak that will let me continue yaking on my terms. Light weight, fast, fairly stable. At 68 it is just a matter of time. So LIVE EVERY DAY to it's fullest guy's. Tight Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
Come to my gym in Vista and I'll help you out. I specialize in pain management

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
TheBoyScout

What's wrong with them?

TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
OK Trident 11 probably fits and can buy 2 for that price. Rod pod is very nice but your rod length will be limited with an 11 footer. Bummer Bob!
Thanks Ross, looking for a little more speed and will need room for a few of your Asuncion YT when we come at Thanksgiving. ALSO looking to ride the San Roque falls again, that was fun!!! See you soon, Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Thanks Ross, looking for a little more speed and will need room for a few of your Asuncion YT when we come at Thanksgiving. ALSO looking to ride the San Roque falls again, that was fun!!! See you soon, Tight Lines amigo.
Under 60 pounds rigged is really going to limit your choices.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Under 60 pounds rigged is really going to limit your choices.
That is why I am looking at composite yaks like the Stealth Pro Fisha at 54 lbs factory rigged. I know how to keep gear weight down. 2 rods max and I can always borrow tackle on the water from you and Sven.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
CR Yaker

You got that right, Bob, live it while you can!

Good luck on a new vessel.

Mark
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #10
pingpangdang

Quote:
NOT about the pain, been managing that, it's about the use of both feet, Knew years ago I would wind up in a wheel chair. This is about finding a yak that will let me continue yaking on my terms. Light weight, fast, fairly stable. At 68 it is just a matter of time. So LIVE EVERY DAY to it's fullest guy's. Tight Lines.
Very motivating...almost 40 but hope to be as active as you at your age. A lot of guys in there 40s have already given up on their passions and are dwindling away. Awesome and inspiring.

As for a kayak I still use my malibu minix. 40lb hull wt wide and stable especially in surf. I can top load it easier than most kayaks nowadays that are double the weight.

It's not the fastest but with a good paddle it can handle lj as long as your not going for tuna 5 miles out. I have a crap paddle but i like things i can just toss around and not worry about.

Its better than having to paddle a pa with a broken drive anyday.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
That is why I am looking at composite yaks like the Stealth Pro Fisha at 54 lbs factory rigged. I know how to keep gear weight down. 2 rods max and I can always borrow tackle on the water from you and Sven.
Im sorry its coming down to this Bob. I hope you can sort out something. Id love to have a Steath. The Lodi trip is a pisser. CaboJohn and I have BSd about a roadie up there to demo but its Lodi. Not much surf there for a good test drive.

From my research/input w the Safas n Aussies, they are real fast Ferrari "skis" but that means they arent Cadillacs. You have to be a proactive paddler to utilize their strength(s) coming and going. Theyre meant for a quick shot through the beach break, pull the rods out of the hull and go for a highspeed troll for a couple hours and back in. Good surfski/SOT hybrids. They are also as tempermental as a Ferrari. They arent near as rugged as the milk jugs we drag over rocks. Youll learn to lay glass/carbon sheets eventually. Even just dragging them over sand is more abrasive to the glass composite seams than sheer plastic. At Beluga for instance I drag plastic a lot there but glass/composite? I would overall lift more just carrying my glass baby to the waters edge and then back to camp vs the fully loaded plastic drag to the water.

All that said, I want one and so does John. Its an offshore trolling machine. If you have to go that direction I would love to paddle it but in the end I think plastic is net better for you.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #12
buddha

Quote:
I think that is a good choice.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
outlawangler

Dan at Headwaters is a great guy and will take care of you. I have dealt with him on several occasions and still stop by his shop every time I go up to fish the Delta. Good Luck!

Old 07-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:

Price under $3000.
Sit on top.

STEALTH Pro Fisha 525...heck YES Bob! do it:
Please post a paddle report...like Troy said this will most likely be the next kayakS. Lodi isn't that far.
A Fast kayak that surfs...Could be a game changer for kayak tuna.
with a composite /carbon yak I'd still use wheels and baby it.

Last edited by cabojohn; 07-31-2016 at 09:07 PM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:12 PM   #15
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Troy, you and John should be able to give it a shot at Lj in a few weeks. The weight of plastic puts me off the water now. And my wheeleze cart works great for PA's and Outbacks over 100 lbs so the composite yak at 60 will be a big savings in work for me. As to composits and epoxies, been there, done that.

With the health problems, YOU KNOW ME. Every day to it's fullest, as long as I can and as hard as possible. And this was not unexpected, just fine tunning for the next year or two. Tight Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Im sorry its coming down to this Bob. I hope you can sort out something. Id love to have a Steath. The Lodi trip is a pisser. CaboJohn and I have BSd about a roadie up there to demo but its Lodi. Not much surf there for a good test drive.

From my research/input w the Safas n Aussies, they are real fast Ferrari "skis" but that means they arent Cadillacs. You have to be a proactive paddler to
utilize their strength(s) coming and going. Theyre meant for a quick shot through the beach break, pull the rods out of the hull and go for a highspeed troll for a couple hours and back in. Good surfski/SOT hybrids. They are also as tempermental as a Ferrari. They arent near as rugged as the milk jugs we drag over rocks. Youll learn to lay glass/carbon sheets eventually. Even just dragging them over sand is more abrasive to the glass composite seams than sheer plastic. At Beluga for instance I drag plastic a lot there but glass/composite? I would overall lift more just carrying my glass baby to the waters edge and then back to camp vs the fully loaded plastic drag to the water.

All that said, I want one and so does John. Its an offshore trolling machine. If you have to go that direction I would love to paddle it but in the end I think plastic is net better for you.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-31-2016, 09:43 PM   #16
2-Stix

what about the drop in motors? a few yaks have them as an option now. hobie yes, jackson in 2017.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

I might be slowly dying, I am not dead! Your solutions ARE still TOO HEAVY. Going lighter and maybe not loosing speed and being the last guy to the bite will be beyond me but I THING NOT. A faster yak will keep me in the pack, Do not need to be in front, just need to get there before the bite shuts down. 5 miles off Asuncion or LJ I can still do, just slower than most. Getting an extra mph will do it and the Stealth Pro Fisha 525 should let me do that, AND not mess up my feet. For me this should be a WIN,Win,win.

AND some lucky person could get a 2015 Hobie Outback to add to their stable. So maybe there will be two winners unless they too sell there yak and three people win. Tight Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
what about the drop in motors? a few yaks have them as an option now. hobie yes, jackson in 2017.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-01-2016, 01:18 AM   #18
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:

Ahhhh. I missed the composite part. That explains the price tag too.
— Herman Melville

Old 08-01-2016, 05:00 AM   #19
Deamon

Help? There's plenty of people willing and able to get you and your yak to the water. Heck, Sven can put you on one shoulder and your yak on the other. It's the cleaning up after your "accidents" that'll have everyone running...

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #20
summers in kuwait

Sorry to hear the news Bob.

My father recently lost his big toe, but they saved his leg.
But we are stilly watching the foot.

Before I bought my revo 13, I was leading to towards the following:

Stealth evolution
Viking pro fish reload

I liked the kraken 13.5 for the seat and live bait setup, but the additional weight was a factor. I fractured a couple of vertebrae and had some shoulder issues, so I went with the revo 13. There are days I wish I had a simple, light paddle kayak.

Best of luck on the decision. And very interested to see the stealth on the water.

Last edited by summers in kuwait; 08-01-2016 at 07:04 AM.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote