Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
jlabs63

LJ 6/16/17 - First Yellow of the Year

This was my third trip in the last 6 weeks; both of they first two were skuncks. Got off to a bit of a late start on Friday, but launched the RIB around 6:45. There was almost no surf, except for the one rouge wave that splashed over the bow as I decided to go for it.

Spent about an hour looking for bait with no luck; then, they were everywhere and I loaded up on med-sized GB's five at a time. Pinned on the largest one on the flyline and headed south. Heavy downhill current. Trolled all the way to Bishops for nothing. Around 10 AM, I headed back north when I saw a massive bait ball breach right where my bait was and I got hammered. handed the rob to my buddy and watched him crank it in. I got a perfect gaff right above the collar.

Water Temp: 70 (said my FF)
Depth: ~75-80 feet
Rig: Flylined with 65# braid and 8' of 30# fluro

He went 24.5 on the bathroom scale. Stomach full of finbait.

Troll for another couple hours until I lost my last decent sized mack to a dog and called it quits. I didn't see too many other hook ups.
Attached Images

jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Congrats! Looks like a gorgeous day! Enjoy the feeling!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
FISH11

Congrats on the nice fish. I think I saw you guys at the launch getting ready along with the rest of us in the large crowd yesterday. I think I launched just a little before you did. That bait was hard to find at first then it was crazy jumping all over the place to the south.