Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #61
Caballito

I was there yesterday and it was an eye-opener. This "Coastwatcher" group tried what seems to be a prevelant strategy in todays politics. They threw a bunch of data, some accurate, some innacurate, and a lot of half -truths at the council then stated several times that this area was at a "tipping point" and that the "science was on their side". They tried to create a sense of urgency that doesn't exist and wanted the council to support them, because they were "so right". All of this at the 11th hour after a years worth of input by all sides on the MLPA, except "Coastwatcher", and they attempt this hijack of the process! Look out for these guys! They are sneaky, half truth, calculating and deceitful at best! They will forever be discredited in my eyes for what they tried to do yesterday. The council fortunately saw through the charade they were trying to pull, but you can bet your ass they be back again with more bullshit! Thanks to Luc from Anglers Choice who alerted me by email of this meeting, and thanks to all who came and or spoke, you did well.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 10-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #62
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
It was worth it to see you in a suit!

I was very happy with the outcome, I disagree with Coastkeeper on this issue, but I do not consider them the "enemy". As a surfer I've been soaking in our coastal waters for the last 30 years, without Coastkeeper and Surfrider our waters would be much more polluted than they already are. I also disagree with Surfrider positions occasionally but I remain a member because of the good things they do upstream to keep the pollution out of our coastal waters.

Hope to see _everyone_ on the 21st in Long Beach.
They do/did some good things. They just seem to be getting a little extreme lately. Kinda like what happened to the Sierra Club.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #63
PescadorPete

And for those of you who may still be sitting in the background thinking your one voice doesn't count, think again. I would estimate the fisherman outnumbered the coastkeepers almost 10:1 yesterday and that made a big difference. Lets shoot for 10:1 on the 21st.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #64
-scallywag-
Banned

I positive that Donna is not "on the fence" about this issue, between the other counsil members everything had pretty much already been said and there is no reason to step on her envioro pals toes if she doesn't have to. Did anyone see here swing that gavvel!!!(sp?)
I like the presence of the grassroots juggernaught at these meetings, and it felt good to hear the few coast keeper reps get torn a new one.

Don't quit now...that meeting was nothing and will have no effect on the outcome of the MLPA's if we don't show up in force here in october. We need new faces, im sure the BRTF is tired of being made by the same people. Show up and tell them what YOU think.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #65
fryguy

Just watched the video and you guys kick ass. Thank you for your efforts - it's great when you see how difference they actually make.

It was really eye opening to hear the one councilwoman admit how little informed of the whole process and impact on local business that the MLPA is going to have. The personalization approach was the way to go. Enviros plea to people's emotions about the welfare of fisheries, but it was moreso effective to elaborate on the impact on the local economy and how in turn that will have a devastating affect on families, heritage, and culture. That study by about the fishery health was paramount. We should have more science ready, or at least know what they will cite as examples of their scientific evidence, so that we can counter or undermine their arguments.

One thing that keeps being overlooked is this idea of compromise. The enviros constantly push the argument that they've conceded and compromised so much already....well what are they conceding exactly. On the other aisle, people are conceding business, jobs, livelihoods, family and community heritage, the local culture...almost an entire industry. How is that given the same weight as the enviro motives? It's lead for gold.

Great stuff at this meeting. I will definitely be there on the 21st to join in battle.
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #66
C. Cary

KUDO'S

Great job guys.

Way to hit a home run.

Great team work as well.

Let's finish strong. See you Oct. 21

I am bringing my wife and 2 daughters.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #67
PAL

Guys, I'm in awe of your effectiveness. I shouldn't be, I've seen you at every MLPA meeting since Oxnard way back when. Sincerest thank-yous! Billy V, oustanding!

(Sorry folks I was at Cedros. It didn't suck. )
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote