Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #21
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post
Never met Joe Geever but is he the guy in this video?

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=92742
Joe Geever is in that video, (small cameo, but indicting) and this video is the biggest piece of BS propaganda I have seen. Very one-sided.

I know some of you have been working with SR, (Thank YOU!) and I hope they continue to act in good faith. From what I have heard they were receptive to working with keeping a larger portion of LJ open to fishing. I have a problem with their fundamental stance on closing access, and lack of focus on pollution, water quality, in the MLPA, among other things, but I will bite my tongue right now.

If you attend this meeting, as has always been asked by kayakers, remember to discuss your thoughts with civility.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #22
so cal shaggy

I am optimistic

Matt, I hope that you are correct about the stance of the SRF because believe me, after attending multiple meetings and speaking to SRF members having them state "we want to work with you guys and not close off access to anyone" then listen to those very same SRF members make statements to the RSG, BRTF or SAT like "we need to close as much ocean as possible" or "we are only closing 3% of the coast." great except that most to all of the fish are in that 3% leaving very little areas for anglers to fish. It is difficult to believe what they state in public. Also the fact that a very outspoken anti fishing BRTF member is on the board for SRF I am not sure I believe everything they tell me. I hope they are on board to help you save LJ but I have not heard anything from them regarding Laguna which is under serious pressure to be completely closed which would be all of the Orange County area forcing those of us that live in that area to drive a minimum of over 60 miles to go diving and fishing.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #23
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Just my thoughts...

If they do succeed in closing Laguna because of the $ there, and us fishers being an eye sore to certain people, being how they don't like to look out and see kayakers and the such out disturbing their view, what say we plan a couple

NON-FISHING kayak regattas????

Paddle around, catch some waves, have a big ol' BBQ party on the beach afterwards...

And make sure we Q a bunch of fish and throw the carcasses in the water after we fillet 'em....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #24
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I think there is some skepticism amongst fisherman/spearos with Surf Rider, and that it is justified. But they have shown good faith with regards to La Jolla (not knowledgeable about other areas).

This thread has been constructive, thus far, but before it turns bashing Surf Rider, (and it hasn't) I think we should see if they are sincere in their good will, and continue to work with its moderate representatives.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #25
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

My take, surf rider isn't for us and aren't against us. They kind of straddle some knife edge trying to cater to both sides but fail.

I really wish in their public comment they would come and say something about keeping a specific area open for fishing because of access isues. In private they have been supportive of our access issues as kayakers though. As of yet they have not explicitly stated this in public comment for a specific area that I know of, and it keeps me from supporting them. They support the process in general which is troubling.

When I talked to one of them, they seemed to be interested in taking as much of LJ as possible and knowing exactly where the line was that would piss us off.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #26
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
When I talked to one of them, they seemed to be interested in taking as much of LJ as possible and knowing exactly where the line was that would piss us off.
Isn't that better than them not knowing?? I took them to the edge of the land and showed them that exact spot.

Meagan from Coast Keeper and I met to discuss this exact line and really spent alot of time going over the area and what their stance was and where our pain centers were....

Then, in the next round of maps, the Coast Keeper (Kate Hanley-RSG) MPA retreated to that exact spot....is that a coincidence?

Don't blow your chance to educate and contribute to the Surfrider forum by yelling and venting on them. Their letter to the BRTF will hold water. They are very well respected. They have seen the end game of this process in the North Central coast and know that it is going to get really slippery in the hands of the BRTF.....we should learn from them and try and synch up as much as possible. Agree on everything with them? Probably not....but the ability to access them and provide input is a good opportunity.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #27
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I know what your saying Dan. I am frustrated with their seeming lack of public stance on which map they like, or what areas they prefer to close or stay open. I just wish they would give some specific public endorsement or stance, not a general thumbs up to the process.

SR is a very respected organization and has done a lot of good things. Their opinion carries weight and I only hope they side with reason. Nothing hurts our chances more than someone ranting and raving at people. It doesn't and hasn't gotten us anywhere.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #28
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

bump.

Tomorrow night. Another chance to show up and push for what is right. We need to be respectful, but we need to be heard too.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #29
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

bump again. Tonight 7pm. Another chance to do some good for our fishing future.

Sept 30.Encinitas Community Center: 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Encinitas, CA 92024

Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #30
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

The Fishcatcher aka Grommet, and I will be there...

I told Clay to kindly remind them that he has 2 boards and 1 kayak...

that he is one of them, and needs to let them know that...

Tman
Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #31
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
bump again. Tonight 7pm. Another chance to do some good for our fishing future.

Sept 30.Encinitas Community Center: 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive. Encinitas, CA 92024
Who is Going to This Meeting?
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #32
Dan

At the meeting last night, most attendees were in support of the shapes presented in WG3 for north county and San Diego.....please send your specific comments on any of the areas that you feel strongly about to Stefanie Sekich at ssekich@surfrider.org The memo they are compliling will be high impact, so speak up!

A quick email with the subject: MLPA Community Forum Comments

A quick one liner is fine. DO IT!!!!

(how was that guy that popped off to Tman? holy crap)
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #33
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
At the meeting last night, most attendees were in support of the shapes presented in WG3 for north county and San Diego.....please send your specific comments on any of the areas that you feel strongly about to Stefanie Sekich at ssekich@surfrider.org The memo they are compliling will be high impact, so speak up!

Thanks Dan! Remember to be polite in your email, no use to accuse SR for anything. Just state why you support a proposal, for example, WG2.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #34
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Yah, that was hilarious...hope he reads this...

Dan is referring to a comment some douchebag made about how I "shouldn't take a 50lb 9 year old out in the ocean if he can't handle it".

First of all Einstein, the comment I had made was how unsafe it is to have a 9 year old paddle 3 miles out to fish.

Second, he is 75lbs, not 50lbs.

And finally, you should remember this quote..."It is best to keep ones mouth closed and look like a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Kayakers let it fly after his comment, me with 'Are you insulting my parenting skills' and 'He has 2 surfboards. So he whouldn't surf either?'

Then someone else who shall go unnamed really let it fly...his tale to tell.

Clay couldn't believe that an adult would insult a kid.

Needless to say, poor Stefanie was shocked he said that. As were others.

And nope I am not bashing Surfrider, just question their choice of members. Some members actually supported us on the 'dip net' issue and understood.

Unlike the other dip that spoke out....

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you"

Tman
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #35
Billy V

Quote:

Dan,

I spent a few minutes speaking with Stefanie, and Joe after the meeting. She asked that you specifically submit an e mail to Her summarizing the message we spoke about last night.

I will do the same.
ie. Map we support, Dip Net issue on WG3 , and our preferred boundaries.

Billy
Old 10-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #36
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Kayakers let it fly after his comment, me with 'Are you insulting my parenting skills' and 'He has 2 surfboards. So he whouldn't surf either?'

Then someone else who shall go unnamed really let it fly...his tale to tell.

Clay couldn't believe that an adult would insult a kid

Needless to say, poor Stefanie was shocked he said that. As were others.

And nope I am not bashing Surfrider, just question their choice of members. Some members actually supported us on the 'dip net' issue and understood.

Unlike the other dip that spoke out....

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you"
Every once in a while a loud mouth like that needs to be reminded to have manners, It was my pleasure.

Notwithstanding the unwelcome outburst, our message was delivered.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #37
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

That stinks Martin, there are always bad apples in every group. Sounds like Stefanie, and Joe, are trying to work in good faith for everyone's access.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #38
Dan

No way that guy has ever surfed a day in his life. He had to sit there and stew in that comment for another hour before sneaking out.

A good example of how any personal attacks in this process are just straight up ass hat douche nozzle material. That guy lost all cred. And good job Martin for not stooping to his level after he questioned your parenting.

Last edited by Dan; 10-01-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #39
kurt

Way too hold your temper, Martin. You're definitely the better man.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #40
dmrides

It was also encouraging to hear that there is not a great deal of support for WG1, since we all know how much that would suck.

Thanks again to all of you who continue to put in all your hard work to spread the word of what we want.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote