Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
Bigal
Junior

Mirage Glide retrofit into an '09 Revo

Does anyone know if I can retrofit? It does not seem that Hobie offers a kit to retrofit.

I have an 09 Revo and a newer Glide Drive. They currently are not compatible.

Kayak shop said it's no problem to cut off the black plastic knobs from the Glide (that slide into the groove of the new Revos). He was basing that off the Glides whose knobs are cut off to go into their inflatable Hobie yaks.

I am hoping to get a second opinion before I cut. It looks easy to cut off, but I'm concerned about stability. Next, I wonder if the new metal drive shaft will fit into my old "locks" that hold the drive. (It seems beefier.)
Bigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

I have an old hobie with the cam knobs. I converted my v1 mirage drive to v2, then converted the v2 to the glide. It fits my kayak just fine, no need to cut.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
Bigal
Junior

Hey Thanks for the reply. I ended up finding a blog where a Hobie Tech advocated cutting the guide knobs off newer drives when inserting into some old Hobies without guide grooves, so I did it. It works great now. Now I can go to Gonzaga Bay! (If those 2 systems steer clear...)
Bigal is offline   Reply With Quote