Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
dpricenator

I agree with most of the posts here. Once the debt to society is paid, it's all good until he does it again.

God Knows there are several of us here who should have probably done hard time for the things we did when we were younger. I thank him daily for making me smart enough not to get caught when I was young and smart enough to know that I was going to get caught at some point. Changed ways, and haven't looked back.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpricenator View Post
Once the debt to society is paid, it's all good until he does it again.
I politely disagree. Anyone whom poaches knowingly and is prosecuted should be banned from ever obtaining a recreational license of any type in their lifetime.. If this were the case, and we all knew, do you think people would still Poach? Not nearly as many!!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Anyone whom poaches knowingly and is prosecuted should be banned from ever obtaining a recreational license of any type in their lifetime..
I agree with this. I wouldn't let my children play at a convicted sex offender's house once his "debt" is paid.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I agree with this. I wouldn't let my children play at a convicted sex offender's house once his "debt" is paid.
And neither would I. I also probably would not knowingly let a previous poacher store his catch in my cooler. But if the bait works, it works. So he poached, and paid his debt. That shouldn't mean that he should not be able to operate a business.

I would support legislation that restricted a convicted poacher's ability to get a fishing/hunting license for a period of time. Not that many poachers give crap about being licensed, anyway. I see people taking short fish on the piers all the time. Usually because of ignorance, but most unlicensed fisherman have not taken the time to know what is what and when what fish can be taken.

Some dude was going to keep an 2 foot Leo, in San Clem the other day. I let him know, with as few curse words as possible, that he needed to throw that fish back ASAP. He told me there was no size limit on Leos. I told him to throw it back, then look it up. ANd that If I was wrong, I would buy him a case of beer. He tossed it back and we parted ways. About an hour later he walked back by me, and dropped off a six pack of Ballast Point Sculipn IPA, as a way to say thanks for the info. Then I told him alcohol was not allowed on the pier. Just kidding, I didn't say that last part.....
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
goldenglory18

I havent tried them personally but as a bass/artificial lure focused angler, I know there is a ton of hype behind the brand.

Would I decide to buy a product based on the history behind the proprietor? Possibly. But I guarantee a lot of Americans are blind to the past of A LOT of the business and people they support. Case and point: Donald.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
I have enough gear for fish to ignore.
This is gold

Ya'll make me laugh sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
I havent tried them personally but as a bass/artificial lure focused angler, I know there is a ton of hype behind the brand.

Would I decide to buy a product based on the history behind the proprietor? Possibly. But I guarantee a lot of Americans are blind to the past of A LOT of the business and people they support. Case and point: Donald.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-05-18_10-29-57.jpg (31.9 KB, 182 views)

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Angels...

Boy Oh Boy...there must be a lot of Angels out there that have never done anything wrong in their lives...I'd like to meet a few of you perfect people...!!!

Never speed, steal, lie, cheat on your taxes, or waste the resources...Yea Right...!!!

This guy poached...He didn't sell drugs, beat someone up, murder someone or steal a car...he poached and payed his dues and he's trying to make a successful business! Give the guy a break or don't buy his product...it's as simple as that...NO NEED TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE...!!!
What is up with some of you guys...you are obviously, way more Holy than me...?!

Thanks GoldenGlory... X2 "But I guarantee a lot of Americans are blind to the past of A LOT of the business and people they support."

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-18-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
Chuck D

Considering this is a fishermans forum with a sport we all hold dear to our hearts I am surely not surprised that poaching is a sore spot for all of us. To disregard that in this forum is more surprising then to take it to heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Boy Oh Boy...there must be a lot of Angels out there that have never done anything wrong in their lives...I'd like to meet a few of you perfect people...!!!

Never speed, steal, lie, cheat on your taxes, or waste the resources...Yea Right...!!!

This guy poached...He didn't sell drugs, beat someone up, murder someone or steal a car...he poached and payed his dues and he's trying to make a successful business! Give the guy a break or don't buy his product...it's as simple as that...NO NEED TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE...!!!
What is up with some of you guys...you are obviously, way more Holy than me...?!

Thanks GoldenGlory... X2 "But I guarantee a lot of Americans are blind to the past of A LOT of the business and people they support."
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
ProfessorLongArms

I fish 120 and deeper. My truck is more with the fact that it’s a 4 ounce jig that costs $20. Gtfo.

To those of you snidely lambasting Denis for somewhat innocuously starting a conversation without any real commentary, you realize you’re doing the exact thing you’re giving him shit for, right? You realize that, right? Right?

Online forums have their tropes in spades... You’re being one. Don’t be that guy. It makes it less fun for the rest of us.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:39 AM   #10
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post

No offense Jim but I notice the CCA backs him HUGE. How can a company that supports conservation support a guy that took his kids poaching and submitted poached deer as records in other states not to mention the book of fishing violations he was charged with and plead down? I understand the holier than thou argument, but the argument that has nobody else done anything wrong in their lives is a bit off. Do people lie on their taxes sure. Is that on the same level as taking kids poaching multiple times evading Wardens, lying about it, then on top submit said poached deer as records?!?! So here’s a question should we let the guy that was caught back east cheating in the KBF series back into the KBF? I mean all he did was have multiple modified bump boards and stole thousands of dollars in tournament winnings. Should we forgive and forget and let him back into the series?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
I politely disagree. Anyone whom poaches knowingly and is prosecuted should be banned from ever obtaining a recreational license of any type in their lifetime.. If this were the case, and we all knew, do you think people would still Poach? Not nearly as many!!
A bit harsh in my opinion but I see where you are coming from. More severe penalties would be more of a deterrence for people. I think this was exemplified pretty well on decision for revocation of the commercial fishing license for 5 years of the Pacific Star back in February. Which IMO is pretty much a death sentence for a sport fishing operation.

I think this more of a sociological issue and question on whether people are capable of change. If a man commits a crime should he be robbed of his potential to do good in the future? Life is a learning experience and everyone makes mistakes. Most learn through their mistakes, so paying for yours for the rest of your life seems a bit severe and does not offer the opportunity to learn.

So assuming he has learned his lesson and is doing good for the fishing community, do you believe in second chances?

Last edited by Denis_Ruso; 05-17-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

It was the Pacific Star not the Royal Star...
Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
It was the Pacific Star not the Royal Star...
Thank you. Corrected.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:55 AM   #14
Chuck D

Good information to take into consideration when supporting a business. My future purchases will not include this company. Yes, second chances are of course a nice thing to do if you believe the crime is acceptable enough to forgive...
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
Mahigeer

I still maintain that the only way to reduce poaching is by public awareness.
Educating the newbies is another important avenue.
There should be Public Service Announcement paid by the poachers.

A father that poaches is one thing.
However; if he teaches his kids that it is ok to ignore the law. That is unforgivable.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #16
tak100
Recruit

Sav-On Tackle has a version of a tube bait that I tried two weeks ago down at La Jolla.

I was amazed at the action. Three rockfish and a calico for that day.

*Full disclosure I was given a free sample of these new baits but I think I was just a lucky customer that asked at the right time and not affiliated with the shop in other way.

In any case there are close alternatives available on the market and these things work.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #17
nagami
Junior

great article,thanks for sharing
nagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 AM   #18
Tekniks

Everyone gets a second chance to do right. Doesnt stop me from using the baits as long as I know I'm compliant. How about this latest bust by the DFG? Will Red Rooster 3 be boycotted by their mistake?

https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaD...082160/?type=3
Tekniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekniks View Post
Everyone gets a second chance to do right. Doesnt stop me from using the baits as long as I know I'm compliant. How about this latest bust by the DFG? Will Red Rooster 3 be boycotted by their mistake?

https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaD...082160/?type=3

OUCH!!!!!!!

Probably not.....
Andy Cates is a Legend....I guess we'll see what happens...
Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #20
DPevin

Awhile ago I bought a couple packs for fishing in the harbor. Hooks bent/broke too easy in my opinion for how expensive they are. And if the fish are biting the hook up bait you can get them to bite a number of other things just as well for half the cost. Nothing magical about it. I won't be buying them again. Fishing is suddenly the cool thing to do it seems. With what seems like an influx of new folks the timing is right and those folks see people getting bit on the baits plastered all over social media and probably have some misconception that the need those baits to get bit. Can't knock the guy for capitalizing on the current situation.

I understand he has been "punished" and fined and all of that has been paid. I am also for second chances and believe people can change and should be given the opportunity to do so.

However, the he poached 3 deer in the park. Involved his kid in the whole thing as well as a couple other guys. Glassed up the rangers to avoid them. Took a warden 6 days to track them down. They covered up the evidence. The whole thing was just so intentional and so far from a mistake.

I personally have no desire to support someone like that changed or not, debt paid or not. I also wouldn't ever dare judge anyone that doesn't mind supporting him and his business and legitimate activities and current support of the industry. His fine was something like $50,000 dollars, not a lot of people have that kind of money just laying around. In some strange way my mind goes to the place of, every dollar earned from the bait company goes toward recouping the cost of that fine. I fully realize that is irrational and probably isn't the case. But I can't help but feel a debt isn't paid if you don't bare the whole burden.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote