Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
DIABETIC snacks/drinks

What do you use to keep your blood sugar level, energy up and stay hydrated for a summer day on the water??? If it works for you it might work for some of the rest of us. Thanks in advance and tight lines amogos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
King Saba

2 bottles of Gatorade, 64 fl oz of water, lunch consisting of protein, veggies, and some form of carb such as rice or bread; power bars, and gummy snacks for that quick sugar rush.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
AirborneYak

This is good for a diabetic snack.

http://m.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu...100296106.html
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Dave Legacy

I use a Camelbak Cortez hydration bladder for my water if I have room for it on deck. I'm often guilty of not hydrating even if I have water bottles around (probably has a little to do with not having a cup holder).

I'm not diabetic, but I'm required to maintain a strict low-sodium diet and I eat fig bars from Costco to keep me going between home-cooked meals. Can you eat jerky? I used to love to eat beef or salmon jerky while hiking, snowboarding, etc.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:04 AM   #5
walrus

Water mostly, but I like crystal lite lemonade and diet soda to give me variety and keep me drinking fluids.

For snacks I like nuts, however I know that could be another issue for some of us. I have a jar of creamy p-nut butter stashed onboard. Dried fruits like cranberries, apples, raisins, provide some natural sugars for the sometimes needed energy boost.

I've used protein drinks from Costco in the past, they're very good I just don't like them warm when out on the water (personal preference).

Carrots, cucumbers, and oranges will also hold up in the heat.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
Mr_Fixit

I am also diabetic. I certainly stay away from sugary drinks (Gatorade has LOTS of sugar!). To get me going, I have a Diet Mt. Dew. Once you get used to the taste, its not bad, but its hard to get used to. Then I have a fairly large bottle of water that lasts me all day. As for food, I usually have a few beef sticks (Old Trapper) and mixed nuts. I do carry a couple candies along just in case I get into a sugar crash.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Thank you guys, this helps point me in the right direction, all your suggestions are appreciated. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Ok, Ok, hydration is serious stuff... This stuff is used by more athletes than you know...Pedi.jpg
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
WARRIORMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Ok, Ok, hydration is serious stuff... This stuff is used by more athletes than you know...Attachment 20022

yep, its a trade secret!
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
tacmik

People, people, people. READ the labels.

diet soda is toxic, Gatoraide and other sports drinks loaded with sugar. (fructose is sugar) Best way to hydrate is plain old h2o. (beer a close second). Look at the label on crystal lite, NO lemon. All chemicals. Try putting lemon and cucumbers in your water to spice it up. Nothing better for you than good old water.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
JJ

The best hydration drink is one that you can make yourself very easily.

Use coconut water. Read the label on this. Make sure it says coconut water only. Some brands have other additives. Ignore those.
Lemon or lime juice, as much or as little as you want - I prefer lime.
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. You can adjust this to taste.
I use honey or agave. For diabetics, use your favorite sweetner. Turvia is excellent and can be purchased at Costco.

The sea salt and coconut water have amazing hydration and electrolyte replacement qualities. You can also dilute with water to taste.
The sugar content in lime or lemon is not much at all.
I believe on average one lemon has 1.5g of sugar. One lime has more or less 1.1g of sugar.
If that creates a problem, reduce the amount or replace with something else.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

-JJ-
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
Ro12

I dont have diabetes
Yet
Does run in my family
But I have been dehydrated a few times
Pedialight always got me back to normal fast
But a grip of water before getting there is probably best
Ro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #13
Bruntoj

Watch "That Sugar Film". It's currently a 99c rental on iTunes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:41 AM   #14
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I have had issues with diabetes

I have taken glucosamine and metformin.in my past I am taking nothing at this point.I only feel something when my blood sugar levels are low tried and run down and maybe sweatie, when there hi but not offen i eat a lot of small meals to moderate that roller coaster ride of blood sugar levels up and down you can definitely feel the drop after alot of sugar.My breakfast and lunch when I go kayak fishing consist of water a banana which I eat first to get off the boat provides potassium with water to help prevent cramps.
Water,banana,peanutbutter&jelly sandwich and 1/2 of a turkey pastrami sandwich if your still hungry you can always eat raw...fish.lol
Your covered carb,protein and fructose sugar I have to have coffee first which helps to dehydrate you good luck diet and exercise is the best thing to help with diabetes

Last edited by MITCHELL; 09-03-2016 at 06:05 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #15
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

One of my best kayak fishing and bike riding buds is a diabetic, I learned a lot about nutrition from our experiences.

The best "on the go" snack was the PowerBar Performance energy bar: 2:1 glucose to fructose, carbohydrate and protein exchanges as recommended by the American Diabetic Association. We used to work events for PowerBar, they were very popular with diabetics. The PowerBar Protein Plus Reduced Sugar protein bar is also good and is a little more substantial than the Performance bar. The Clif Bar Builders Bar is also good.

My friend drinks Diet Pepsi, but in the kayak or on the bikes, it was pretty much 100% water. He also carried glucose tabs just in case.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #16
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
The best hydration drink is one that you can make yourself very easily.

Use coconut water. Read the label on this. Make sure it says coconut water only. Some brands have other additives. Ignore those.
Lemon or lime juice, as much or as little as you want - I prefer lime.
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. You can adjust this to taste.
I use honey or agave. For diabetics, use your favorite sweetner. Turvia is excellent and can be purchased at Costco.

The sea salt and coconut water have amazing hydration and electrolyte replacement qualities. You can also dilute with water to taste.
The sugar content in lime or lemon is not much at all.
I believe on average one lemon has 1.5g of sugar. One lime has more or less 1.1g of sugar.
If that creates a problem, reduce the amount or replace with something else.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

-JJ-
This is spot on. 2x 2x 2x
I run very long desert offroad loops on dirtbikes 7-9 hr days, mountaineer above 13,000' for 5-7 day trips and a ton of other not as intense sports. The content above is so perfect. Carry a few snickers if your sugars drop. Or maybe some clifbar shot blocks. I use those at high altitude when your appetite is gone.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote