Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
Tatunka
Junior

First trip to LJ

I banged in sick and made my first trip out of LJ yesterday! Seemed like the sets were on the bigger side yesterday but it was probably just noob anxiety. Met some cool people (I'm bad at names but I think his name was Dennis) that offered to go out with since it was my first launch. I was able to get out following those guys and was on my own. Made bait fairly easy got a few in the basket and as I was pulling up some more bait in and something hit it like a truck, snapped off my rig WTF??
Cruised around for a while and was talking with a guy (again bad with names) and told him my story of the my Sabiki and he asked if I needed another and gave one to me so I could keep making bait.
I trolled around for several hours and didn't hook anything but I was able to get a few things figured out on my yak. Now it was time to come in it sure seemed like the surf was big but I couldn't stay out there till tomorrow. I sat outside for a while and timed the sets and peddled like a SOB between waves. I made it in pretty close before I ended up catching some white wash before I was able to jump off so it decided to throw me out but to my own amazement I was in knee deep water. All in all it was good experience and met some good people.
Tatunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
FullFlavorPike

Bet you had a dog come crashing in on your sabiki and get himself hooked up.

You did it right coming in though. I feel like many people end up dumping their boats in waist deep or less water when they could have just jumped out grabbed onto everything.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I hooked a couple barely-cudas on the sabiki the other day.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Tatunka
Junior

I did see a dog playing around the area, might make another run at it on Sat. depending on the conditions. It all comes down to seat time for launch and landings
Old 05-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Phishphood

Let's just say a big yt hit the Mac on the sabiki.

As for timing it really is just experience like you said. If you ever get to the launch and it looks a little too hairy, leave your gear in the car and just practice launch and landing with only your pfd and paddle.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
2-Stix

bones hit them too. i lost sabikis that way a few times. bring 3 in all sizes every time.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
Tatunka
Junior

Good suggestion Phishphood and we will stick with the thought of a big YT hitting the mac
Old 05-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
Wrangler92
Junior

Sounds like fun!! Thanks for the report.
Wrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote