Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
SoCalEDC

Cabrillo 3/30/19

Made it out on Saturday to meet up with a fellow BWE'er. We each got on a few fish. Pulled a couple of sculpin and had a halibut on my line at the same time as the first sculpin. Handed the halibut off as the sculpin required two hands to safely handle.

Ended up getting pricked by the second sculpin while trying to measure it. put a damper on my morning, but after soaking my hand we fished another few hours to no avail. Over all pretty good day

Here's the culprit:

I still had the last laugh
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
Ggiannig89

I once had a sculpin fall on my ankle while out in La Jolla... yea that sucked for awhile. Sculpin are my favorite fish no doubt love their attitude and colors! How big was the halibut?
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
Amish Ed

At least you got the last laugh. I once got stuck under 2 separate fingernails at the same time. Though the skipper was going to have to call the HP. I got really nauseous and almost passed out. Soaking them in hot coffee made a huge difference. Supposedly piss works too. I also got stuck one other time, but that was much less severe. It hurt, but not much worse than a bee sting.

One thing I always do when handling rattlesnakes in the yak is to keep my legs wherever the fish isn't. When it's in the water, my feet are on board. When it's over the deck, my feet are over the side. That way, if I drop it the fish won't bounce off my feet or calves. I've punctured my lower extremities more than once with bass.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
I once had a sculpin fall on my ankle while out in La Jolla... yea that sucked for awhile. Sculpin are my favorite fish no doubt love their attitude and colors! How big was the halibut?
Yea they are very cool animals. The halibut ended up shaking loose at the surface but both Mike and I estimated him at about 18-19", Mike didnt want to gaf him because he didnt look to be big enough and while scrambling around for his fish grips the hali shook the 3/0 circle hook loose and got out of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
At least you got the last laugh. I once got stuck under 2 separate fingernails at the same time. Though the skipper was going to have to call the HP. I got really nauseous and almost passed out. Soaking them in hot coffee made a huge difference. Supposedly piss works too. I also got stuck one other time, but that was much less severe. It hurt, but not much worse than a bee sting.

One thing I always do when handling rattlesnakes in the yak is to keep my legs wherever the fish isn't. When it's in the water, my feet are on board. When it's over the deck, my feet are over the side. That way, if I drop it the fish won't bounce off my feet or calves. I've punctured my lower extremities more than once with bass.
Thanks for the tips with the feet, I think I will adopt that rule as well. It could have been much worse if he would have nailed me in the thigh, or so I think. The fish got me in 4 separate fingers, with what im assuming were 4 different spines, and I thought I was being very careful while handling him for the measurement. From now on, my thumb isn't coming out of a Sculpins mouth, not even for the measure. 3 days later and I've still got a mitten at the end of my left arm.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Yea they are very cool animals. The halibut ended up shaking loose at the surface but both Mike and I estimated him at about 18-19", Mike didnt want to gaf him because he didnt look to be big enough and while scrambling around for his fish grips the hali shook the 3/0 circle hook loose and got out of there.
Thanks for the tips with the feet, I think I will adopt that rule as well. It could have been much worse if he would have nailed me in the thigh, or so I think. The fish got me in 4 separate fingers, with what im assuming were 4 different spines, and I thought I was being very careful while handling him for the measurement. From now on, my thumb isn't coming out of a Sculpins mouth, not even for the measure. 3 days later and I've still got a mitten at the end of my left arm.

Sorry to hear you got it so bad. I know my 2 finger tips were numb for easily a month.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

I have heard that mashing up a cigarette with a little spit or water and applying to the wound helps as well. Something about the nicotine?

Hard part nowadays is finding a smoker to bum one from.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
I have heard that mashing up a cigarette with a little spit or water and applying to the wound helps as well. Something about the nicotine?

Hard part nowadays is finding a smoker to bum one from.
I remember hearing this as well in regards to bees,wasps, and ants. The life guard gave me some instant hot packs which now have permanent space in my crate, and if it happens again I've got a small tub in there that probably holds about a quart of water that i keep my dry stuff in, I can fill that with water and throw the hot pack in and hope it has enough thermal energy to warm it up so i can soak my hand. if its on my thigh or foot then i guess ill just have to use the heat pack as a compress.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

We always used hot water and liquor for sting ray stings(stung area in hot water, liquor administered internally). Stuck by a spiny, toxic sea creature? Watch for infection. Hope you've had your tetanus shot.