Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
Roscoe

Leo Carrillo

Nice morning but fishing was slow for me today. Caught 3 brown rock fish and 1 white fish.
Meet up with Cronus At six and launched around 6:30.
Condition where nice until around 9:30 when the wind picked up.
Off the water around 10:00
Attached Images

Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
SoCalCuda
Travel Blogger

Brown RF

I’ve caught a couple of them in the 18” range and they can fight!
Biggest salmon -37lbs, lingcod 35”, rainbow trout 23”, brook trout 13”, White Sea bass 33”, bottom fish 23", largemouth 17”, calico 17”, striped sand bass 20”, halibut 23”, sheepshead 16”, cabezon 20.5”, steelhead 25”, red ear 10.5, bluegill 10.5....

Beachestobackroads.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmblH3XWON8qXKSNltF2cHw
SoCalCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
Cronus
Cheat to win

It was a beautiful day, best part was watching those four guys in the rowboat land in the surf, almost flipped it and sank on the sand for a final park. Was my first time out this year and I didnt take a single photo. The normal kelp bed in front of the surfers was very small so we headed south a bit. Thanks for the bait after I forgot mine at home. There were a lot Makerel messing with me, will have to take the bait tank and sabiki some next time.
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
SoCalEDC

Looks like it was a nice morning before the wind rolled in. Did you guys keep the rock fish?

Im planning to head there on sunday with another BWE'er. I have a couple of questions as it seems you are familiar with the area in question while I have never been.

Where is the best place to launch? I looked at G maps and what i can see is there is an adjacent beach to Leo Carrillo that is mostly westward facing and there is a parking lot that backs up to the sand. Is that spot pretty good to launch from? I also called one of the local tackle shops to get some info and the woman I spoke with mentioned that the sea had washed alot of the sand out and the beach had been shored up with rocks that may present problems, any idea about that?

I have attached an image from maps of the area im referring to:

I would like to park in the lot listed as "35494-36598 PCH Parking" on the left side of the photo and launch out of that beach, rather than the area marked with the red pin to the right (in the image). is this feasable?
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
cris

I've launched from both the north and the south beaches. The north beach can have a nasty shore break but is sandy. the south beach is rocky and a little more protected.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Roscoe

I have never launched from the north side.
Please see photo. The red is where I park(you should get there before sun up as parking goes quick) the black line is the path I wheel my kayak to launch spot. The blue circle. The stairs are burned out so a longer walk.
The waves in this area are pretty easy to deal with.
Last time there at high tide the sand was there as for a low tide there will be some rocks to deal with. But launching in the blue circle area does have more sand.
Side note during then summer months the area in blue is set up for kayakers. At one point there was or is a map showing where you can be. Surfers here windsurfers there and so on.
Looks like the wind on Sunday isn’t going to be favorable.
I am heading there on Saturday as wind should be better.
Attached Images

Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
I've launched from both the north and the south beaches. The north beach can have a nasty shore break but is sandy. the south beach is rocky and a little more protected.
Thanks Cris, sounds like ill have to evaluate my options when I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I have never launched from the north side.
Please see photo. The red is where I park(you should get there before sun up as parking goes quick) the black line is the path I wheel my kayak to launch spot. The blue circle. The stairs are burned out so a longer walk.
The waves in this area are pretty easy to deal with.
Last time there at high tide the sand was there as for a low tide there will be some rocks to deal with. But launching in the blue circle area does have more sand.
Side note during then summer months the area in blue is set up for kayakers. At one point there was or is a map showing where you can be. Surfers here windsurfers there and so on.
Looks like the wind on Sunday isn’t going to be favorable.
I am heading there on Saturday as wind should be better.
Yea, Saturday is a better day over all for kayaking down here it looks like, but I've got some nonsense to take care pretty much right in the middle of the day so Sunday it is.

Thanks for the info man, if it gets too choppy out there I'll head in an call it a day.

p.s. im looking forward to the report from Saturday. What are you targetting out there?

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 04-18-2019 at 12:43 PM.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Leo

I plan on going next Wednesday very early. It will be my first time there.
What are most people using for bait?
Do you fish the inside, middle or outside of the kelp?
Is there any structure/rock piles in the area?

Thanks, David

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
CaliHalikiller

Depends on what you are looking for there's are some reefs n piles you just got to find them FF helps a lot my go to baits are plastics if fishing for bass squid for the rock fish or jigs good luck be safe
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote