Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
dc1983

Question for Boat owners

Sold my Kayak almost 2 years ago. Thinking about getting another now. Boat cost to much to not catch a lot. So here's the question: How many of you own both a yak and boat? Another question is, is your yak decked out or just bare bones?

Thanks
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
cell128
lizard king

Only own kayak but been interested in getting a jet ski lately for fishing. Can go way out and much cheaper than boat
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

Hey Dave, nice to see you on the boards again. I own both, hardly use the boat since the yak is so convenient and cheap to take out. I don't know what you consider decked out, but I have all the necessary things.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Had a boat. Sold that. Bought another. Sold that. Bought a float tube. Then bought another. Then bought a kayak (older outback) Sold that. Then sold one of my tubes. The bought my PA12. Won't be getting a boat again anytime soon. A lot of fun, but costly and a lot of work at times. My yak is sooo convenient. And my tube is nice too. Both decked out of course.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:26 AM   #5
captnblood34

Don't see too many yaks making their way out to the islands, paddy hopping, or hauling a few friends and spear gear.... In a few years I'll be getting a boat... Or will I? One can dream...

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
Saba Slayer

Boats

I love my girls....

My kayaks are easy to launch and really fun to fish from and very inexpensive when compared to a skiff...but there are a lot of activities and conditions when I would rather be in my skiff than my kayaks.
I've said it before " if you can't do the time don't do the crime"
A boat is a commitment both financial and time wise but it will offer you options that your kayak won't. I just pulled my boat out of the water after being in a slip for the last three months...I really enjoyed my time on the water...There were days when I'd just go down to the harbor and turn the key and go get a limit of Bonito and some crabs and be back in a couple of hours...so covenient and easy...yea it's more expensive, but boy was that a fun 3 months of paddy hopping in the Catalina channel and Yellowtail at Rocky Point and lots of night of hooping lobsters and crabs and tons of Bonito.
Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my kayaks and always will...thats why I'm a member of the Hobie Fishing Team...I usually spend more days on the kayak than on the skiff especially in the summer time...cheaper and easier to launch...but I can't fit 3 beer drinking friends on my Hobie PA 14!
I know skiffs get a lot of negative response on this board but they can be a great experience and lots of fun. That's just MHO...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
skrilla

Kayak yes. Boat no. That's what friends are for.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
Lipripper92592

I went from a 14' Rib to a 17' ProLine Center Console, then to a PA12.
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand........Yes, that's what boat stands for. So true that you can reach unattainable grounds in a boat vs a yak, but in always cracks me up cruising around the PB'ers and Party boats in LJ.....just thinking....I've got so much less into this than you, and are pulling on the same fish.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Stand in a cold shower and rip up hundred dollar bills; that's owning a boat.

Had a few boats in my life from 14' outboards to sailboats to 23' blue water crusiers. Sold them all, now I have one kayak and a lot more time to fish.

For the few times a year you want to go 50+ miles out; pay somebody else. It's cheaper in the long run.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #10
Nic D

had an ocena kayak trident then sold it to buy an outback. then sold the outback to buy a triumph skiff. then sold the skiff to buy the 22' seafox viper with a 200 yamaha. Love my boat wouldnt go back. I can cover way more water on the boat vs. yak. plus we fish cat sci coronados. yes its costly and more work, but to me its worth it.

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I have a boat and a kayak. I only fish on the kayak. The boat gets used maybe 5 times a year. Only reason I keep it for when the whole family gets together. Thought of buying a skiff for fishing. But think I going to stick to the kayak.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
dc1983

I'm keeping the boat(wife wouldn't let me sell it if I wanted to) but I am considering buying another kayak. I started on a Malibu tandem then went to stealth 14 to outback to pro angler 12 now I have the boat. It's fun to fish from the boat but I'm thinking it would be more fun to fish from the kayak for halibut and other fish in the harbor until the offshore fishing picks up again.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
Dail14

How about just put an electric motor on the yak. It will increase your range and still not be as expensive as the boat.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
dc1983

Did that as well. Put a trolling motor on a stealth 14. It was fun for all of one trip.

I was curious about how many kayakers had a boat as well. That was the original reason for the post. It appears some due. And use thebboat just like I was planning: for family outings and offshore.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic D View Post
Love my boat wouldnt go back. I can cover way more water on the boat vs. yak. plus we fish cat sci coronados. yes its costly and more work, but to me its worth it.
100 % agree with Nick. I had a skiff, sold it when my son was born 8 years ago, got a hobie sport then moved to the quest 13 for open water, then a revo so I could go further, son wanted to go out with me so got another skiff, now in the market for a 25 foot walk around or pilot house. We will most likely have a kayak or paddle board to go with it but the boat is king for us as we go out as a family a lot more now that our kids are older and can drive the boat while I fish.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #16
driftwood

This thread is kind of silly to me. comparing a kayak to a boat is like
comparing a bicycle to car. if you can't catch fish on a boat...not in a kayak either. Like a car, if you can't afford a boat and you still want to fish, buy a
kayak.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #17
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
boat vs kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1983 View Post
Sold my Kayak almost 2 years ago. Thinking about getting another now. Boat cost to much to not catch a lot. So here's the question: How many of you own both a yak and boat? Another question is, is your yak decked out or just bare bones?

Thanks
I own a 17' CC waiting to put a new fuel tank.Consider the overhead cost w/a boat such as boat ins(approx $275/yr); Vessel assist approx $90/yr; fuel cost & maint.; marina boat landing $12-$18.With my Malibu kayak I can go to Sunset Aquatic park(free parking)paddle thru Hunt Harbor and nail a cpl spotted bass.Priceless!
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote