Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
GkT

Carlsbadians

Anyone on here fish in/around Carlsbad/Oceanside area? I live here and the lagoons and inlets will be where I am planning to be while I get my bearings on a kayak. I live maybe 5 minutes walk from the middle (YMCA) lagoon at Agua Hedionda, so I have a feeling that's where I'll be spending a lot of time once I get in the water.
GkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Last time I tried to launch at the Lagoon landing Carlsbad requires a day use fee and a launching fee. Check the launch area further in the lagoon from YMCA.
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Aqua hedionda is a great place to start. There are a lot of fish near the 5 freeway. Halibut and SBB mostly. Little 3-5" swimbaits work great there. If you go under I5 from the big section of Lagoon, and make a right after the bridge, tons of eel grass with SBB. Good place to figure out your electronics as well.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
GkT

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterpupster View Post
Last time I tried to launch at the Lagoon landing Carlsbad requires a day use fee and a launching fee. Check the launch area further in the lagoon from YMCA.
I've always launched (recreational kayaking) from the sand beaches in the YMCA lagoon (north side) or a sand beach 'Dog Beach' on the northeastern side of the innermost lagoon. I know if you try to launch at the ramp at Snug Harbor they will try and charge you, but anywhere else is free game as far as I know.

Thanks for the fish tips, YakDout. Ill be trying these out when I get the boat.
I've grown up shorefishing at AH, and have pulled some decent little spotties out of right where you said, next to the freeway bridge. Also had luck at the trestles. Never had a hali out of there though.

Just bought a new rod and reel today, and went out and fished from the rocks at the trestles. Nothing was biting though. Or I'm out of practice. Probably the latter.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
nacho66

GkT welcome to the forums, gonna try and make it up there next weekend
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
surfisher

Rad, yea I used to fish in there a bunch last summer. It's a fun little spot to hit for a quick 1-2 hour fish. Most of the time you can come away with at least 5-10 fish in there.

The middle lagoon has good eel grass. I have caught a bunch of halibut in the 1st lagoon drifting from where the houses start down to the marina area. Just slow roll the bottom with 3"-5" swimbaits (like Yakdonut said) and you will get bit.

As of lately, it seems like a ton of people have been in there daily so the bite was realllllyyyy slow yesterday (I cruised for a little bit before sunset) ... but most of the time you can find yourself as the only fisherman in the whole lagoon!

Once you get used to the yak, get outta there and charge the surf! The fishing is way better

Over summer you can get corvina as well, and if your interested in a good fight soak some squid and hold on! Big stingrays and batrays are always cruising around.

Last edited by surfisher; 03-27-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added stuff
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 PM   #7
GkT

Yep. Plans are to get out on the open water as soon as im comfy on the yak. And better with this abu baitcaster i just bought. Any good fishing at the kelp offshore? Ive always heard there are tons of sandies and calicos out there. Whenever im surfing im always imagining paddling out there with a rod.

Planning on test driving a Tarpon down at OEX tomorrow. Excited, cant wait to get the ball rolling on this boat!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #8
Cbad Mike

There are plenty of posts regarding fishing in the lagoon. Just do a search for them.
Fishing the kelp off the smoke stack is OK for bass with a few halibut on the way there.
The hard part of getting to the kelp is the launch and landing.
Good to have some more guys from Carlsbad!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #9
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Carlsbad

I just go ahead and buy the passsive use permit for both kayaks every year, they're $35. for each yak(or if you don't stick it on its ok to just carry it,then you can switch between different yaks). I find the ski lagoon is just as good as the YMCA lagoon for spotties and butts. The only difference is in the back lagoon your have a lot of distractions, such as the womens yoga -on-paddle board class I can't concentrate on the bottom of the lagoon when that takes place. During this time of year (cooler water)there isn't much traffic out there and theres lots of ell grass to work over. The YMCA gets a little more fishing pressure just because its free and calm(except for I-5 buzzing by).Old guy in a olive PA.good luck.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
surfisher

Yea, the local kelp has some pretty good fishing. I typically fish it about 2-3 times a week depending on how good the surf is. I'd recommend just taking an hour and practicing your launches and landings in like 3-4ft surf. Once you have it down you will be good to go/fish on most days of the week. If you ever want someone to cruise with you just let me know! I fish from the campgrounds up to about state beach (north tamarack) all the time. If your looking for halibut, fish out a bit in front of the jetties and there are some good ones! Other than that it's all your usual kelp suspects and the Carlsbad canyon can have some good fish periodically. Like Cbad Mike said, just search the forums and you will find lots of info on it!

I'm on a yellow outback so if you see me, feel free to say hello!
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
TheCuban1040
Junior

I just got a boat and have been learning my way around these waters too. Ive had some luck fishing just out in front of the surf breaks in south cbad and north encinitas. Ive been in the lagoon a couple times and struggled... Cant wait to get out to the kelp beds this summer!

I read about the artificial reef in front of the Ponto jetties. Any tips on how far offshore those start/stop? Apparently it covers 6 acres of water, but it'd be awesome to get an idea of the boundaries.

Im paddling a camo Native Manta Ray 12, hollar if you see me!
TheCuban1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
CG_88
Junior

I just moved to carlsbad and I would love to join you guys. I took my yak out to mission bay a few times before I moved. I would like to get out the the open water at some point.
CG_88 is offline   Reply With Quote