Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #1
Tomol

San Elijo Launch?

Anybody have any experience there? The forecast is for unusually small surf and NE wind, so I thought I'd poke around for a seabass (spearfishing). I know it's early, but it's a good opportunity to get to scout.
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

I've camped at the campground many times and fished the surf. I think if you find the right day you could launch from the mouth of the lagoon
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I've camped at the campground many times and fished the surf. I think if you find the right day you could launch from the mouth of the lagoon
That looks like a fun place to camp out, probably good barred perch fishing? Looking at google maps, seems like the break at the lagoon mouth is equal to elsewhere and has some rocks out in the break? Probably looks much more doable on a high tide.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
That looks like a fun place to camp out, probably good barred perch fishing? Looking at google maps, seems like the break at the lagoon mouth is equal to elsewhere and has some rocks out in the break? Probably looks much more doable on a high tide.
I've pulled a couple of calicos and short halibut in the shallow reefs there. High risk fishing. I think I've lost 2-3 luckycrafts there. Reason I mention the mouth of the lagoon is that you can launch at high tide from there and not have to contend with breaking surf as you're trying to get in your kayak. Heck if the tide is high enough you might be able to pedal out in a hobie.

Here's what the mouth looks like on an ideal day.

As the OP hinted at, only spearfishing of WSB is allowed by boat/kayak. Not really my thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (27.0 KB, 71 views)
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:54 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I've pulled a couple of calicos and short halibut in the shallow reefs there. High risk fishing. I think I've lost 2-3 luckycrafts there. Reason I mention the mouth of the lagoon is that you can launch at high tide from there and not have to contend with breaking surf as you're trying to get in your kayak. Heck if the tide is high enough you might be able to pedal out in a hobie.

Here's what the mouth looks like on an ideal day.

As the OP hinted at, only spearfishing of WSB is allowed by boat/kayak. Not really my thing
Thanks for the reply. I did realize that the SMCA had unique rules. For the amount of time on the water, A spear diver has a much bigger impact on the environment than a recreational fisherman -- bummer kayak anglers got excluded. As a kid I would fish the PV area by shore with mussle as bait, for opaleye, Perch, Calicos and Cabazon. One time harvested a 5lb Calico in a foamy tide pool of only 3ft depth. We would find rocks with holes in them to use as sinkers.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote