Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #21
sdcityboy

Team No Fish- Amateur Staff

hey doug! how do u get on that exclusive team?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #22
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Perspective from a newbie

I am relatively new to kayaks and kayak fishing but I can tell you that when I take my Revolution out to the kelp beds, I can sense a lot of "Peddle Envy" from my fellow yak riders.

The Hobie mirage kayaks have a clear advantage over all other kayaks when used as a fishing platform. Anyone who says otherwise is either uninformed or stuck in the past. A good kayak fisher will do well on any boat but those of us who have not yet reached that experience level will probably get there more quickly in this type of kayak.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #23
FISHIONADO

Different strokes for different folks. Wow, that Cliché was never more appropriate. I own an Outback and a Prowler 15. I prefer the Prowler in the open ocean for many reasons. I keep two lines in the water almost all the time to double my odds, something I learned from Jim Sammons. I don't like how the lines would get hung on the mirage drive or the rudder. I don't like how kelp gets hung up on the drive. I like having the Outback because it is good for the bays and good for my wife and newbie friends. Just another opinion, don't be hating.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #24
hookup
Junior

hobie pedal unit

I had a single pedal hobie kayak, now i have a tandem pedal kayak and personally the pedal unit is extremely well built. But, I can see why or how the pedal unit might break, 3 reasons.
1.) They might of not lock the safty pin properly, before going out.
2.) They might of got caught in the kelp and kept on pedaling, forcing it too hard, when they should have unlock the pedal unit and pull the pedal unit out to untangled kelp.
3.) When you come on to the beach after kayaking, once your pedal unit hit the sand, stop pedaling and get off the kayak. If you have a fart brain that day and keep on trying to pedal while your pedal is stuck in the sand you can break the pedal unit.

I have experienced all three situations and if you force it hard enough, I think it will break.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #25
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcityboy View Post
Team No Fish- Amateur Staff

hey doug! how do u get on that exclusive team?

Well its like this....
First, you've got to go fishing but not be very good at it. After many, many months of hard fishing, but no catching you might come to the attention of the Team No Fish talent scouts. They hang out at the landing and carefully sniff the air for the scent of skunk on the assembled kayaks. If you really suck bad enough, they will offer you a spot on the team. I screwed up when they scouted me; I had bait in the tank. If I hadn't been able to make bait I would have been assured the full sponsorship. Instead, Team No Fish brought me on as an Amateur Staff member. It's just like being a Pro Staff member, but I don't get the custom kayak. I get to wear my Team No Fish gear to the Fred Hall Show, my bio gets posted on the Team website and they even taught me the secret handshake. I just know that someday the team will recognize my lack of ability and make me a Pro Staff member. If I get skunked again in WCW 2008, there is no way that they can justify keeping me off the Team. I got my fingers crossed.

Team No Fish receives corporate sponsorship from Confluence Holdings, makers of the Patriot Kayak.

All Team No Fish Pro Staff receive custom yellow kayaks.

Team No Fish Pro Staff Surf Launch Skills Demo at La Jolla

Not only is this a great marketing tool for Confluence Holdings, it also makes it easy for other kayak anglers to identify the Confluence Holdings/Team No Fish Pro Staff (CH/TNFPS for short) on the water. This is sort of a public service for both newbies and La Jolla old timers alike. The newbies can easily spot the CH/TNFPS kayaks on the water and can paddle up to ask them questions about fishing and rigging kayaks. While the newbies follow the CH/TNFPS yaks around, it will enable the Malibu, Hobie and OK pro staff to fish unmolested. The newbies, now beneficiaries of the years of fishing knowledge imparted by the CH/TNFPS, will soon become frustrated at their inability to catch fish, lose interest in kayak fishing, sell their yaks and take up surfing. La Jolla will then go back to being a small community of friendly local kayak fishermen and everybody will be happy.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 AM   #26
bajadog
I eats what I kills

When we did San Quintin last September, there were about
7 of us on revolutions, outfitters, outbacks and an adventure.

We made it out to the true point, started fishing. The first paddlers showed up 20 minutes later.

Like riding a recumbent bike.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #27
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I'm picturing you with one of those helmets with two beers and straws, Ed.

Hey, I only use that helmet on my P15........................................
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #28
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
The drive system seems a little flaky as well, as two drive systems broke on the Catapalooza 08 trip. Any thoughts? Pros or cons?
For those that were there to witness it, by drive got DEMOLISHED at Catapalooza. Open water, just peddling, and SNAP SNAP SNAP! Game over, no chance of repair. Unfortunately, I was down the coast from our camp spot about 4 miles in probably the worst seas I have seen. Yes I was able to paddle back. Yes it sucks. I have the adventure. After being able to paddle it for the remainder of the weekend I was fairly pleased with how it paddled. If you look at the pics of the weekend, my disabled hobie and I made an appearance in many of the pics even after the "incident". The worst part was enduring the comments from the peanut gallery about how the Hobies are good, except that the drives are too likely to fail. I had no rebuttal. Probably there is some truth in what others are saying. If you take care of your s&%#, they will last a looong time. I do not take care of my s&%#. I don't feel that I should have to. With that being said, I have had hobies for 4 years now and only 2 mirage drive incidents to speak of.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #29
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2969 View Post
I'm 6 ft and 235lbs

My only negative comment about Hobie would be the warranty.
Specifically the length

My experience goes the other way. My hull was out of warranty and they replaced it when I had an issue, no questions asked. Tim at Dana Point Jet Ski was super helpful. I think that the guys at OEX Oceanside would be the same way. Hobie stands by their stuff.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #30
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
My experience goes the other way. My hull was out of warranty and they replaced it when I had an issue, no questions asked. Tim at Dana Point Jet Ski was super helpful. I think that the guys at OEX Oceanside would be the same way. Hobie stands by their stuff.

Ditto!

My old outback hull had a rod holder fall into the hull (thin material).

It was out of warranty, and fastlane got me a NEW hull free of charge.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #31
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post

But where would you put a 50# fish?
I usually find that the bigger problem is figuring out how to effectively clean blood off the deck...

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #32
FISHIONADO

Quote:
I usually find that the bigger problem is figuring out how to effectively clean blood off the deck...
Sweet!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #33
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I love that Picture!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #34
bigderel
UberMember

Arrow

Disclaimer: I'm affiliated with Hobie Kayaks
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: I bought my Hobie before being affiliated

I'm 6'-4" and hover around 225 (235 come the holidays) and pedal/paddle the Adventure. Leg room is not a concern, in fact it excels in that department. Plenty of room. The pedal drive is great and I've yet to experience any problems other than a hex nut loosening once...easy fix. The beauty of the Adventure (as stated elsewhere in this thread) is that it paddles very well. I bring a paddle leash to secure the pedals when they're out...very handy since I primarily fish for bass and spend a lot of time in the kelp. I've spent a lot of time exploring Catalina and our local coastline and the advantage of long distance trips with the pedals is awesome. The pedals offer other advantages as far as repositioning while casting/fighting a fish, etc.

As for fishing for the pelagics, I can't offer you much input. If you're concerned about the extra weight of a 50# fish, I can say that a big cooler/livewell filled up + myself still works out just fine. If you're concerned about where to put it - the lap works out fine, you just have to paddle. As for paddling, I do it a lot when I'm out at LJ, etc. to switch things up anyway and to save my arms from atrophe.

Here's a little write-up I did on the Plastic Navy site...and if you have any questions about my experience with Hobie, I'll answer them without BiaS, PM me or throw 'em up here.

http://plasticnavy.com/forum/viewtop...c9cb7fedc25147
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #35
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:

Just wash it with water from the Yakgina...................
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #36
PAL

Quote:
Just wash it with water from the Yakgina...................
Be careful about surf launching without the plug or the drive. It squirts!
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #37
FISHIONADO

I hope my posts haven't come across as anti-Hobie. I actually own two of them, the Outback and the Sport. I really like them for certain applications. My 12 year old would not be able to paddle out to the "spot" , but on calm days he can pedal the Sport out there no problem. I love the Outback for the bays but not for the open ocean. My Outback takes on water through the rudder cable holes in rough conditions, not enough to be unsafe, just a hassle to have to drain it after a trip. Not hating, just sharing an informed owners opinion.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #38
THE DARKHORSE

I respect your opinion as I know your not the bias type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I hope my posts haven't come across as anti-Hobie. I actually own two of them, the Outback and the Sport. I really like them for certain applications. My 12 year old would not be able to paddle out to the "spot" , but on calm days he can pedal the Sport out there no problem. I love the Outback for the bays but not for the open ocean. My Outback takes on water through the rudder cable holes in rough conditions, not enough to be unsafe, just a hassle to have to drain it after a trip. Not hating, just sharing an informed owners opinion.
The nice people at Hobie/Fastlane Sailing Center gave me an opportunity to try every craft Hobie has to offer. Each vessel had great distinctly different features that made for a challenging descision. I made my descision 100% based on finishing out WCW on top. The local pattern has been set for over two months concerning catching local Yellowtail. On "sunny days" with little to no cloud cover the schools of Yellowtail (with numbers of 15 giant homeguards all above #30, to huge schools of fish in the #18-#25 class numbering around a 100 fish each) have been fairly easy to find while "sight fishing." I chose the Hobie Outback, at the confusion of the Hobie people as it's the least popular model of the three.
I would like to say how impressed I was with this kayak in open ocean conditions (as it's all I fish). I took it out with confidence logging over ten miles a day in some really nasty conditions. The most impressive thing about the "mirage drive" is how it handles the worst possible conditions. Being that the mirage system fins are always underwater there is never a glitch in ability to create speed. I found that you can go incredibly fast in ridiculous wind and chop. Being a 12' long and wide vessel you may take a little spray coming over the bow when "flying" along in big whacky swell with heavy wind, but the stability is equally great. Thus my descision to finish out WCW in this incredibly stable vessel. The Hobie Outback allows you to perch up on your knees with confidence or even stand up in calm conditions. This lighting difference from sitting down to up on your knees is "night and day". The difference between seeing all the fish swimming by laughing at you and consistently giving yourself an excellent shot. Even if you don't land that iron in the right spot and spook the school, you will atleast see Yellowtail in their natural environment like never before (a magical experience in it's self). As far as bringing in #50+ fish, don't worry, I had no problem and still beat everyone to the launch while drinking my celebratory cold one.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 05-22-2008 at 08:10 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #39
FISHIONADO

I need to learn how to "sight fish"! I'll give the Outback another try based on Josh's post.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #40
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Pretty much everything has been covered above. To me, these pedal kayaks just rock all the way around for fishing La Jolla or the bays. I've been pedaling them for a number of years now.

Heavy kelp or heavy stringers? Just pop the drive out and paddle. Best of both worlds.

The pedal drive has been very reliable for me over the years, and I have seen Hobie / Fastlane come through with excellent customer service both for me and for others with any needs or concerns.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote