Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #41
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkCarrier View Post
Just saw this thread after starting a new one.

Why aren't there any glass kayak's on the list ? ( On the forum and article on website ) I know they are difficult to get , but they must get a chance.

I know I am a bit biased, because I have a kaskazi dorado II, but I always felt that it will be under the top 10 fishing kayaks out there.
I do have a 2013 Kaskazi dorado II and a 2012 Hobie revo 13 too.
I found myself take out my Revo more than my Kaskazi lately.

Hobie revo:
Pro: hands free, easy to turn/circle, easy to break the fishing line if hooked the rock by peddle fast.
Con: mirage drive may fail, and is useless around kelp. storage not great,

Kaskazi :
Pro: easy to launch the surf, easy to paddle, and has good speed , huge storage.
Con: no scupper holes in seat. Wet butt. Hard to hold position on a honey hole.

Both is great , both is not the BEST, no such thing.....
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #42
Siebler

You guys all realize the original list was made 4 years ago right? Since the list was made there have been 10-20 boats that are some of the best fishing kayaks the industry has ever seen. Not to mention I know of at least 4 more that are being introduced at OR this year that are total game changers.

Kayaks are very personal. What Brian saw as the top 10 wasnt even close to what my top 10 would be.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #43
rogersmith

Indeed any such list would be very personal. I have paddled Cobra FnD, Cobra Navigator, OK Big Game I, OK Trident 15 and now a Malibu Stealth 14. My S14 is my favorite, because it gives me what I want right now, capacity, stability, storage, layout and a dry comfy ride. I prefer to paddle rather than peddle. So I know for many guys the hobies will be on top because peddling is important.
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #44
johnnyblaze2009

I have a PA 12 and a stealth 12. I love the dry ride I get on the PA and how things seem to be easily accessible but I am fond of the stealth and how it's accessorized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #45
Fishwhisperer619

Got to demo a jackson cuda 14 and feel like it could be a competitor.
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #46
taggermike

Loads of great kayaks out there, both new and old. A yak missing from the list is the original OK Prowler 15. At the time it was a real new idea for fishing yaks. I have one and use it frequently even though I have a Hobie mirage yak too. I love the Malibu X-tream also. Its kind of a heavy SUV of a yak but you can carry a shit load of gear, spread and get comfy, and not worry much about flipping. Used to load 5 little kids on the damn thing and paddle around Baby Beach in dana point. Cant think of many single kayaks that can be a "party barge".
I gotta say though, the most "fishable" yak I have ever used was the venerable Cobra FnD. Paddled not great, but crazy stable. I fished the yak with one of my kids in the front jump seat and one on a chair in the tank well. Its still my favorite all time surf launch yak. Its so buoyant it about bounces over the white water and has 8 big scuppers so the deck drains in seconds. With the long flat yaks I use now I avoid riding waves if possible. My technique for landing the FnD was to catch the biggest wave of a set, wave not whitewash, drop in, turn side ways, brace, and ride till the kayak hits the sand. Wish I still had one. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #47
JDW

Hobie Outback

I vote for the Hobie Outback.
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #48
skunked
Jr. Junior

Hobie Outback
skunked is offline   Reply With Quote