Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

Snake ID Please

I know this is not a fishing related topic but my wife photographed this guy in our yard and we would like to know what it is.

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
dtownfan

bait of some kind!
dtownfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

I just found a photo of it and it's a Striped California Kingsnake. Also bait of some kind
Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Rob929

Ah.. I was wrong

Last edited by Rob929; 05-06-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
hatchetman

Definitely California king snake

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Gino

Baby California King Snake!

Those are nice snakes, They eat rattlesnakes! They also eat rats mice and lizards. They are not poisonous and wont attach you. But I wouldnt go poking a stick at it When they get full grown they will look like this!

http://www.californiaherps.com/snake...orniaesd04.jpg

Last edited by Gino; 05-06-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added link
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Baby California King Snake!

Those are nice snakes, They eat rattlesnakes! They also eat rats mice and lizards. They are not poisonous and wont attach you. But I wouldnt go poking a stick at it When they get full grown they will look like this!

http://www.californiaherps.com/snake...orniaesd04.jpg
Now see if it had been a fully grown one I would have known what it was right away. I have never seen the youthful ones. Well that could explain the decline in some of the lizards around here.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
bluesquids

Cobra for sure! LOL.
Snakes are out right now! Saw my biggest gopher today hit by a car 3" diameter.
Had 5 rattlers right by the house last year...one morning looked out my dining room window and one was layed out right there. I'm in lower Jamul.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
lamb

yep, king.

I also had one in my yard a few years ago, wifey freaked out
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

King snakes are about as cool as snakes get. They are immune to rattlesnake venom and actually eat rattlers.

I was hiking in Rose Canyon once as a kid and picked up a piece of plywood left over from an old billboard. To my great surprise, there was a rattlesnake inches from my feet. Before I could jump out of the way, a king snake that was nearby attacked the rattler.

King snakes are constrictors just like pythons. On this day the King wrapped itself around the rattlesnake and squeezed the life out of him. I did not stay around to watch but I bet the King ate the Rattler.

Many people are afraid of snakes. Too bad because they are really interesting critters and most are far from dangerous.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
King snakes are about as cool as snakes get. They are immune to rattlesnake venom and actually eat rattlers.

I was hiking in Rose Canyon once as a kid and picked up a piece of plywood left over from an old billboard. To my great surprise, there was a rattlesnake inches from my feet. Before I could jump out of the way, a king snake that was nearby attacked the rattler.

King snakes are constrictors just like pythons. On this day the King wrapped itself around the rattlesnake and squeezed the life out of him. I did not stay around to watch but I bet the King ate the Rattler.

Many people are afraid of snakes. Too bad because they are really interesting critters and most are far from dangerous.

Bob
Crap man. That's a crazy story on multiple levels. That king snake is a hero.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
Anthony179
A.T.

That is a nice snake. What did you do with it? I have a Glossy snake right now. They grow about 2-4' in length. The California King snakes grow up to 6' in length.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

We're just letting the snake do its thang. It actually slithered under the fence into the neighbors yard. The funny thing is our dog was laying about 5" from the snake as it slithered by her, I know that had she seen the snake she would have charged at it.

When I told my wife that this is a good snake she felt a lot better about it. We've been having some trees cut down behind our complex so I'm wondering if it was up rooted from its normal home.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Oolie
Headshots Only

that's a beautiful king.

they make great pets and get real big.

a word of warning though, since they do feed on rattlers as everyone has been saying, you will want to avoid the bite of a king, since some of the venom will be left in the jaws of the king if he has recently dined on rattlers.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
that's a beautiful king.

a word of warning though, since they do feed on rattlers as everyone has been saying, you will want to avoid the bite of a king, since some of the venom will be left in the jaws of the king if he has recently dined on rattlers.
Thanks Oolie for the heads up. I can promise you that my wife will stay zoom lens length away and I'm sure my son will also. I'm just glad that our dog did not notice the snake as it slithered about 6" behind her. She would have taken after that snake no doubt.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
that's a beautiful king.

Jimmyz123:

Contrary to what Oolie wrote, as snakes do not chew, there is no chance of any of the rattlesnake venom getting on the kingsnake's teeth and you getting envenomated. As snakes swallow their prey whole, the rattlesnake would already be dead (from constriction) with no way to spread any venom prior to being eaten. You and your family (including your dog) are safe from this snake.

It is still a good idea to teach kids and other family members to hesitate approaching a snake unless you are with someone who knows the local snakes well; some of our harmless snakes look a lot like rattlesnakes, so better to leave them alone unless you are 100% sure that it is harmless.

Also, the kingsnake you pictured has adult coloration; the subspecies in southern Orange County and coastal San Diego County are primarily striped as your picture shows. They are out and about this time of year looking for mates and feeding; later in the year they will be less out an about.

We get them and gopher snakes in our yard a lot this time of year. When I was younger I caught and released a lot of them hiking in the hills.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #17
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Snakes and Fear

Snakes have gotten a bad rap throughout history. Many uninformed people think that all snakes are aggressive and dangerous. The truth is that most snakes are vary docile and perform a very valuable service in nature. Without snakes, our vermin population would explode.

In coastal Southern California, the only poisonous snake found in the wild is the rattlesnake. There are several species but they all look similar. EVERY OTHER TYPE OF SNAKE FOUND AROUND HERE IS NOT POISONOUS!

Excuse me for the bold print but it really bothers me when I see some crazed guy taking a hoe or shotgun to a gopher snake because he does not understand that this species and most others found around here are perfectly harmless.

Even rattlesnakes are fill an important role in the balance of nature. They may be poisonous but they seldom cause any trouble. They will not chase you down or eat your children. They are, like most snakes, very shy and avoid human contact. The only time humans and rattlesnakes have problems with one another is when someone accidentally steps on one of these snakes or if one of our pets decides to pick a fight.

Even then, a rattlesnake bite is seldom fatal. If you get bit, stay calm, call 911 and you will be fine. Antivenin injections are stocked in most emergency rooms and can quickly counteract the affects of a bite.

The relationship between humans and snakes is very similar to the ones between humans of different ethnic backgrounds, religions, and economic status. Ignorance often makes people behave badly.

The next time you see a snake, marvel at its beauty. If you can, turn the encounter into a teaching moment by letting your kids marvel along with you. If you raise your children to not be unrealistic fearful of snakes, a few may still be around when it is time to pass the lesson on to your grandchildren.

Sorry for the preaching but this is important to me.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 05-07-2010 at 08:34 PM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #18
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Snakes have gotten a bad rap throughout history. Many uninformed people think that all snakes are aggressive and dangerous. The truth is that most snakes are vary docile and perform a very valuable service in nature. Without snakes, our vermin population would explode.

In coastal Southern California, the only poisonous snake found in the wild is the rattlesnake. There are several species but they all look similar. EVERY OTHER TYPE OF SNAKE FOUND AROUND HERE IS NOT POISONOUS!

Excuse me for the bold print but it really bothers me when I see some crazed guy taking a hoe or shotgun to a gopher snake because he does not understand that this species and most others found around here are perfectly harmless.

Even rattlesnakes are fill an important role in the balance of nature. They may be poisonous but they seldom cause any trouble. They will not chase you down or eat your children. They are, like most snakes, very shy and avoid human contact. The only time humans and rattlesnakes have problems with one another is when someone accidental steps on one of these snakes or if one of our pets decides to pick a fight.

Even then, a rattlesnake bite is seldom fatal. If you get bit, stay calm, call 911 and you will be fine. Antivenin injections are stocked in most emergency rooms and can quickly counteract the affects of a bite.

The relationship between humans and snakes is very similar to the ones between humans of different ethnic backgrounds, religions, and economic status. Ignorance often makes people behave badly.

The next time you see a snake, marvel at its beauty. If you can, turn the encounter into a teaching moment by letting your kids marvel along with you. If you raise your children to not be unrealistic fearful of snakes, a few may still be around when it is time to pass the lesson on to your grandchildren.

Sorry for the preaching but this is important to me.

Bob
Bob:

Well put. I agree with you regarding learning about snakes and how important rattlesnakes are to our world.

I have been a fan of snakes since I was a very little kid. My dad, who was a pilot in the navy, would bring home snakes he caught while traveling and when I was older growing up in Lake Tahoe, we caught and released Garter Snakes fishing along the Truckee River, found Rubber Boas in the meadows around Lake Tahoe, and in college would find California Mountain Kingsnakes in the Santa Ana Mountains of south Orange County. Even when I was an officer in the navy, one of my hobbies was to find and record the snakes around the bases; that was a lot of fun seeing the various snakes found crossing the trails as we ran around the bases.

With my two kids, they already like snakes. My son (7 years old) has a coastal rosy boa as a pet (captive bred) and has seen plenty of snakes hiking with me in the Santa Ana Mountains. My 3 year old daughter has only handled small ringneck snakes, but she keeps asking to see a kingsnake. So far this year we have seen coachwhips, striped racers, ringneck snakes, a couple of southern pacific rattlesnakes, and two red diamondbacks near our house. No gopher or kingsnakes yet, but the season is early and they should start appearing in the hills.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Jimmyz123

Again this is why I love this site, you all have provided priceless information and great knowledge.

Even now my wife even says how nice the snake looked, but she is still timid of snakes and that's a fear she'll hopefully one day get over.