Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

Offtopic Anyone into Vintage motorcycles?

Just thought I'd share some pics my BMW ChopR65 I just completed today.

So the story here is that this was my standard R65 BMW that I got nailed on by a hit and run drunk driver a little over a decade ago.

The jerk managed to damage everything on the bike, then fled. Bent forks, dented tank, crumpled the exhaust, trashed the seat, bent shock, smashed the instruments, killed the combination switches, etc... (Didn't do my back or right leg any favors neither).

Now back in 2000 used parts where not as available as today but even now the parts to repair it back to stock would of cost as much as the bike was worth. So it sat for over a decade.

So Just recently I came up with the idea of making a simple chopper/bobber style bike out of it, with possible off road capability (I've always wanted a GS) using as few parts as possible. It was either that or part it out.

So I started with the idea of using a DRZ400 Suzuki fork, and a dual sport monoshock in the rear. I got a good fork off ebay for $110 and purchase a stock WP BMW R1200GS Monoshock fresh off a new bike $39.

I then just worked out the geometry to match shock and fork, and welded up my own swingarm, and extended the drive shaft to fit.

I might as well confess there is something sneaky going on here. The swing arm is very long extended slightly over twelve inches. That makes it look like a cool chopper, but what is not in the pictures is I made an extension for the top shock mount that adds or lowers the shock three inches and can be changed in a minute or two. When in place the frame becomes level, higher like a GS and relatively fully offroad capable, with a slightly elongated wheelbase.

I like the idea of dual sports but most look tall and kinda clunky on the road. With this bike I can ride on the road to the desert as a chopper/bobber then raise it to GS height to ride offroad. It's unique, it's cool, and I did it because.....well.....I could.

So basically only the engine and the core frame around it are original, everything behind it I made myself. The majority is built from either scrap steel from my shop, or modified R65 parts. Like I said the only things added are a tractor seat, the DRZ400 forks, and the R1200GS mono-shock, but none of those components are used in a stock manner and most of the R65 parts have been modified in one way or another.

Rode it today between showers. The bike was ridiculously easy to ride, I felt totally in control instantly. I built it to fit me, and felt right at home with it as soon as I climbed on, so I'm pretty happy with it. One thing that will change is I'm going to a spoked wheel with a respectable dual sport tire on the rear.

That Snowflake and decade plus old Metzler made some interesting cornering today on the wet pavement. Which lead to the comment: "Dude your drifting through corners" to which I responded: "I'm not drifting I'm sliding" ha ha ha

No doubt the BMW purists are writhing in pain about now.

Be not dismayed: Just last week I restored a perfectly respectable dead R75/6 to running condition.

As to that bike well what can I say: Wouldn't run, no oil pressure, no clutch engagement, wires the smoked when I initially hooked up the battery....

Well it's all fixed now. Running, smooth, plenty of power and after trouble shooting everything on it right down to the hardware, the only real issue it had before was an owner who couldn't take care of it, and didn't now how to put things back together right after taking them apart.

Let's just say it's got a good home now.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Drake

That thing is so rad. Nice job
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
mrJB

As usual, well thought out and skillfully executed. The man has some talents...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Nice work.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
roadx

not into beem'ers but that i like! good job
Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
RobFish
Massive Member

Very cool 'doro!
Not the easiest thing to extend a swingarm for a bike with a driveshaft.
The versatility aspect is pretty sweet too.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
DanaPT

I don't ride bikes. . . IF i did, I'd probably ride one of those.

those are sweet.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
jorluivil

Awesome bikes Jim! You need to take those to the motorcycle swapmeet at veterans stadium in long beach.

My neighbor and I tore apart and rebuilt a 1992 HD Heritage Softtail Classic and a 2002 Road King a few years ago. He didnt have enough space in his garage for both bikes so I /kept and rode the softtail for at least a year. We did most if not all of the maintenance on the bikes, oil changes, clutch replacements, electrical work, etc.

I'm currently in the planning stages of building a bike or maybe just buying one thats already dressed, there's some awesome deals out there right now. I'd prefer to build my own but the cost between a custom build and a complete running bike is twice as much.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 01-26-2013 at 11:25 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
MotoHero

Fenders...

The bobber is crying for some black fenders with white pinstriping. A little for safety and mostly for looks. Must be really faaast just a motor and wheels!
Dwayne
MotoHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Awesome bikes Jim! You need to take those to the motorcycle swapmeet at veterans stadium in long beach.

My neighbor and I tore apart and rebuilt a 1992 HD Heritage Softtail Classic and a 2002 Road King a few years ago. He didnt have enough space in his garage for both bikes so I /kept and rode the softtail for at least a year. We did most if not all of the maintenance on the bikes, oil changes, clutch replacements, electrical work, etc.

I'm currently in the planning stages of building a bike or maybe just buying one thats already dressed, there's some awesome deals out there right now. I'd prefer to build my own but the cost between a custom build and a complete running bike is twice as much.
Make sure you get that new game clip before you start getting into a bike!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

What do you spool that thing with? Looks like it would be great with 65 spectra.

Looks like fun.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Make sure you get that new game clip before you start getting into a bike!
Funny you should mention that.

I went to OEX today to get a new game clip and as luck would have it they were out

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
sasha

Great work Love how you made the rear swing arm and the shock.. Only thing I would add would be rear fender.. Unless you want a nice strip of dirt on your back. or worse a rock hitting you in the head lol..
But realy man thats great work. Something that few people can do. my hat off for you...
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Squid Vicious
plastic navey squid

.....really nice.....there were a couple old beemer bikes at cooks corner last saturday.....yours is very clean
Malibu Mini X F & D "anchovie "
Squid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Looks like you did a great job on both. The flashy new chrome will look good cruising down the street.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
bubblehide

Geez Jim, you just mentioned making this to me, and it's completed already. You know how to crank out quality!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #17
Fiskadoro

Thanks all. Haven't been online much too busy riding and working, but I wanted to say thanks for all the positive feedback.

Bikes you just got to love them
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #18
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Geez Jim, you just mentioned making this to me, and it's completed already. You know how to crank out quality!

It's called work Gary, some of us like to actually finish our projects

Fifty bucks says I get the new outboard and transom welded on the skiff before you get your smoker over to the shop.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
fishing-kayak
Junior

I'm not really into motorcycles, or any other vintage things.
My parents have one of these:

I don't know why but unlike the other things, i actually like this one.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
crashcrow

Sweet project! I build custom shocks and forks for a company called Race Tech, we do a ton of vintage stuff. If you guys need any help with setups, I work in the R&D department.
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote