Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Lost irons

Got out early, with a bucket, of bait, to slowly, carefully troll the kelp line for 4 hours. Didn't get one snag... then as I perused my selections of Iron picked up at the long beach show.... I dropped the whole case into the water....

Just one of those days I guess...Might have better luck getting fish to bite by just throwing the whole case into the drink next time, first.

Some diver is going to find a nice set of Irons!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
aguachico

Costa Del Mar sunglasses. Now I wear $9 cheapies.

Two rod/reel combos. One cheap and sentimental - the other expensive. Now I leash my rods.

Have you set your dikes on the table next to your yak?
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
Have you set your dikes on the table next to your yak?
lol lol I lost count the number of times I've done that.
Arne
Old 03-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Piranha

Send a message via AIM to Piranha Send a message via Yahoo to Piranha
Lost!

My buddies VHF radio went over the side at Dana! I keep mine in an Aquapac! It floats! Also my cell phone has its own smaller Aquapac! I have some floating pliers from Cotee. My surgical pliers are clipped onto my Aquapac strap! Nice thing about the Aquapac is you can send/receive with the electronics snugly inside! I drop one of those "do not eat" dessicant packs in each Aquapac. Keeps the inside clean and dry! Piranha
Old 03-31-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
SDdude

I lost an expensive pair of prescription Oakleys in the surfzone last year. I cursed my own stupidity that day. Ever since then I've become ultra-anal. I leash everything of value. I even leash my VHF and cell phone to my PFD (I keep the VHF on a leash in one of the PFD pockets, and the cell in an Aquapac around my neck). If some freak accident ever happens, and I go into the drink and am separated from my boat, I want to be sure both of those are with me and not on the boat.

--Raleigh

Last edited by SDdude; 03-31-2007 at 10:06 PM.
SDdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Now that I have a vhf, I stopped carrying my phone. The only reason I brought my phone is in case of an emergency and to keep time. Now that I have a vhf and a FF/GPS that keeps time, I don't have use for the phone. It may just be me, but having the phone out kinda takes away from the complete experience of being OTW...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Aright, who lost this:

If it's yours, I want my 15 minutes back. And if it is yours, why could I bring it up w/ 40# and you left it with 100' of poly dangling from it? Seems like a good story. But this was my catch of the day 3/31.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
reel fishy

Sorry to hear about the irons Handyman! That sucks!

I did the same thing with the top tray in my tackle box. Plop...ohhh great.

Haven't set my dikes on the table next to the yak yet. That's a good one.
reel fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
Sammy
Junior

Send a message via Yahoo to Sammy
I lost two rods and a GPS by leaving them at the boat ramp and driving away..... The GPS had a way point on it marked as Home, I guess the new owner hasn't tried to find that place yet, I shoulda labeled it 50# YT.

Have you ever left your paddle next to the dikes on the table next to the yak?

On that note, I wouldn't mind walking into my garage and seeing two dykes on the table next to me yak...

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
Louis Clarke II

Ok i will play....heres my loss

Ever had your bait tank pass you? Well some a-hole on the 15 cuts over two lanes and gets right on my bumper. I look out and my bait tank (just to fit the Malibu X-Factor) blows out. Oh by the way my hatch lid was on this tank. The guy on my bumper takes it out. He passes me and I here the unmistakable sound of plastic and metal grinding on the ground. Yep he is pushing my bait tank down the road at about 80mph. My fault the tank blows out….his fault he hits it because of the proximity of his bumper to my bumper, kinda made me laugh, and serves him right….

circa 22 Sept 2006
Louis Clarke II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Calcutta

Classic, fished O-side yesterday for a few nice turd rollers on the plastic- since I launched off the beach, I stowed everything and decided to take in a little wave to the beach, hoping the Cobra F&D would track a little better then it has in the past- NOT- frickin' 2' wave sent me into the drink and the F&D was upside down- glad I stowed EVERYTHING- great yak to fish off, but it's gotta be the worst craft ever to try and surf into the beach- Hellen Keller could shape a better vessel when she was drunk, don't try and ride a wave with a F&D- great yak for fishing, though-
Calcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #12
Dean Machine

No offense but, it's kinda hard to have sympathy for someone who loses unsecured gear on the highway. I always make a point to doublecheck stuff like that. OBTW I have made a few offerings to the ocean myself and now I tie everything down for when it is perfectly flat and I'm launching out of the harbor lol that's when it usually happens. Or when you have your rod leashes on but not clipped!.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
Louis Clarke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Machine View Post
No offense but, it's kinda hard to have sympathy for someone who loses unsecured gear on the highway. I always make a point to doublecheck stuff like that. OBTW I have made a few offerings to the ocean myself and now I tie everything down for when it is perfectly flat and I'm launching out of the harbor lol that's when it usually happens. Or when you have your rod leashes on but not clipped!.

No offence taken and not looking for sympathy. My fault I lost it. It was like my 3rd time out and I forgot to hook the bungees down on the bait tank. Lesson learned. A costly mistake on my part.

Just sharing a lesson learned
Louis Clarke II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #14
madscientist

I have a long list of pliers, bait knifes, and lobster gauges that I've donated. Including several "floating" varieties. Some do float, but that only helps if you've realized you dropped it.

Once I dropped a beer over the side, really pissed me off. Fricken salty.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #15
frugalfisher

Custom GAff a few weeks ago paddling towards the pier.

Then when going diving 2 wks ago I remembered that the $300 GPS was on the edge of the boat when I pulled away. At least someone put it on craig's list but it was run over. Bummer. Lucky that I just downloaded all waypoints.
Then last SAT I dropped my $$ camera on the dock and snappped off some impt parts going on the Big Game 90 to San Clemente last week.