Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Geoffkoop

LJ-First Yellows

I called a good friend of mine and asked him if he could share his great fishing knowledge with me and get me on something other than a bass. We headed out to the fishing grounds early and got set up. About 20 minutes into the journey, I hear thrashing behind me and my clicker goes screaming. I grab the rod, click it into gear and start getting towed around while holding on with a death grip with line is screaming off my reel. This was my first experience with a big powerful fish and I just held on and tried to get line back in between his runs. After a short while, I started to get him close to the boat. My buddy tells me "he is a good 25-30 pounder...be careful he may go for another run, ". Sure enough he takes off back down and my line goes POP!

My heart still racing, I backed the drag off a bit, put on another hook and sent my line back out. About 20 minutes later my clicker screams again. This one felt strong, but not the same as the first one. Got this guy to color after a few minutes and finally got to use my gaff! Even these smaller models fight like hell.

Not the largest thing in the world, but I was just pumped that I got a second chance at a yellow. Now I get to take that Calico out of my avatar.
Good friend, if you are reading this, Thanks a million! You taught me stuff that would have taken years! Also wanted to thank those of you I have PMed with questions!

P.S-I know this is a long shot but I lost some black Oakley Gas Can Sunglasses at the launch

Last edited by Geoffkoop; 08-30-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Whizz Bang

Congratulations. Any yellow, any size, makes for a great day. And that little feller sets you up for all the nigiri you can handle.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
dorado50

Congrats and wtg!! Anytime a fish is near boatside and maybe ready to gaff always..always backoff drag for that exact reason. Let it take off and line with it slowly tighening drag and start the process all over again! I'm sure it won't happen to you again.Good job.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
NextBite

nice
Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
yakrider

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my first halibut...
dang fish!...the nerve of him to break the line like that!
at least you were given a second chance...
congrats on the first of many!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
THE DARKHORSE

I love the Bass pose with the Yellowtail.

The only way to go is up from here .
Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
Aaron&Julie

Congralations!!!
It's great getting the first.
Everything else will feel like gravy, but it's good gravy.
Keep it going and good luck.

A&J
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
-scallywag-
Banned

Geoff,
Nice One!!!! It was cool watching you land your first yellow too bad you guys didn't stick around cause it blew up a couple times after you left....i got burnt in the kelp the first time, then hooked up again a couple minutes later and landed a #21, both on spanish macks.

PS. Your good friend is a freak'in kayak fishing legend!!! you know the kinda guy who catches tons of quality fish, never posts a thing and will take any struggling fisherman who is willing to listen and teach them everything he knows....for free. I personally owe alot of fish to that man. Plus i just like the way he says mackerel !!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Geoffkoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
Geoff,
Nice One!!!! It was cool watching you land your first yellow too bad you guys didn't stick around cause it blew up a couple times after you left....i got burnt in the kelp the first time, then hooked up again a couple minutes later and landed a #21, both on spanish macks.

PS. Your good friend is a freak'in kayak fishing legend!!! you know the kinda guy who catches tons of quality fish, never posts a thing and will take any struggling fisherman who is willing to listen and teach them everything he knows....for free. I personally owe alot of fish to that man. Plus i just like the way he says mackerel !!!
Scally- was that you in the outback? I could tell it was starting to get fishy when we were leaving. We saw a couple other guys who scored around then too. I have a nice reminder of how fun it was - line burn on my thumb!

Darkness-I have a bad habbit of lippin everything. I was even lippin freaking trout in the sierras.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
Iparker
Junior

Bass Pose/Lipping Part Two

Ah you beat me to it with the lipping comment as I was trying to post this photo. After the avator pic, this is take three with the bass pose. Watching too much Bassmasters? Same dumb hat too!
Iparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #11
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

good job on the first YT!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
hobieuser

Congrate on your first YT and of course, and many more.
hobieuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
bender0240

NICE! She's a beaut!!
bender0240 is offline   Reply With Quote