Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
Missing Kayak Fisherman in la Jolla 5-5-10

Cousin (lives on mt soledad) just called saying theres a bunch of search boats in la jolla and said that a kayak fisherman "that was fishing the kelp beds" was reported missing today. Anyone hear about this?

just talked with my cousin again, because i couldnt find a report. He said he saw a bunch of blue lights flashing so he turned on his VHF and the coast guard was issuing a report over the air and trying to get any boats in the area to keep an eye out. Cant figure out how to post the recording he emailed to me. 12ft white fishing kayak, left the beach at 3, supposed to be back at 6 if i heard the recording correctly

Last edited by trob; 05-05-2010 at 09:49 PM.
trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
aftahour

hope all is well
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
trob

i guess the news just said they found him
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
herefishyfishy!

I was on the water til about 830 and didn't see any sign of distress, Coast Guard cutter, nothing, guess they got it resolved anyway
Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
trob

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishyfishy! View Post
I was on the water til about 830 and didn't see any sign of distress, Coast Guard cutter, nothing, guess they got it resolved anyway
yea my cousin called me at 10:30 and they were actively searching. so they probably hadnt been called by the time you came in.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
GunWall Flint
Junior

??

curious to know what and how this happend..?
GunWall Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Rob929

Anyone have a link to the story? I was out until 9ish last night. I did see a copter out a few miles with a search light. Glad they found the guy..
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Rob929

Here's one link to the basic story..

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ssing-kayaker/

I'm a little confused by all of this. I'm all about safety, but this sounds like a mis-communication and some poor planning. (maybe he told his landlord to expect him in earlier?!) This report said he hadn't been seen since afternoon. (So we are talking 6 hours or so?) Does this warrant a full scale search and rescue effort? Especially if he was not alone, nor in distress. Just saying thats a lot of resources put into action possibly unnecessarily

Maybe I am missing critical details. (hopefully) But better safe than sorry I suppose.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
dmrides

Definitely seems like a mis-communication and an overly eager search and rescue operation. Either way that is twice that "missing kayaker" has been in the headlines of a UT article in the last month or so. And perhaps the 4th or so publicized rescue efforts for kayakers since December. Some of these were completely unavoidable, some of them a result of poor decisions. I guess my point is, we all need to be more careful out there. We don't need to give any body any more reasons to close fishing grounds, boat launches, etc.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
Definitely seems like a mis-communication and an overly eager search and rescue operation. Either way that is twice that "missing kayaker" has been in the headlines of a UT article in the last month or so. And perhaps the 4th or so publicized rescue efforts for kayakers since December. Some of these were completely unavoidable, some of them a result of poor decisions. I guess my point is, we all need to be more careful out there. We don't need to give any body any more reasons to close fishing grounds, boat launches, etc.
DITTO. The headline we don't want to see is, "Safety concerns for kayak fisherman in La Jolla spark debate regarding accessibility to this fishery."

Shouldn't someone be charged for the search and rescue operation if they jump the gun? It seems odd that the CG wouldn't have told the guy to wait a bit if the information was given to them as it is presented in the article.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
lamb

CG helocopter was combing LJ in the dark last night. Glad to hear it's all good.

What the hell are these kayakers doing out there so late, I wonder?!

Damn pink craze...

Good meeting you Evan!