Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Mission Bay, 9-24-12

Landwhale and I got on the water about 6:45. It was cool and foggy, very foggy. Almost no tidal movement either. Launched off Vacation Island and headed to our first spot, at the entrance to Sail Bay. Spent about an 2.5hrs there. I got 1 whole fish there while missing many. I fished the blade, slip jig, and various Flurries. Steve on the other hand got 5. I was getting bit, but I just couldn't stick them. Or, they'd roll in the grass and come off. Or, they'd get halfway up and come off. Did I feel dejected, worthless, and schooled? Pretty much. The bite slowed and we went off looking for greener pastures. Eventually ended up at the channel that runs past Sea World and spent an hour+ working that area. For Nada. Nothing. Not a bite until I decided to leave. I had switched to a t-rigged Assalt Ringer Worm and actually got not one bite but 2 in a row. But, I was over the area and wanted to start working my way back to the launch. I was pretty much over this day.

So, we both started slowly working along the east side of Vacation Island. I was now getting bit here and there on the Ringer, but still was either missing the bite or they were popping off before I got them in. Eventually though I realized that every bite came when the bait was retrieved from upwind. Started only casting upwind and the bite kinda turned on for me. I got 6 in the last hour, and missed a bunch more. Also lost a big one when it rolled on the surface and spit the hook. All these fish came on that t-rigged Ringer, color didn't seem to matter though they were all darker colors. 1/2oz bullet weight, 8lb test. Unfortunately, had to leave them biting at a little after noon as I had stuff to do at home.

Big thanks to Steve for gassing up the truck and buying lunch. As always It was a pleasure my friend.

Side note: Today was my 20th day smoke free, and my first day since I was a kid that I didn't smoke while fishing. Thanks e-cig and ECF.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
lamb

Love your reports, always have.

I hate it when I keep getting hit in MB,
and can't hook 'em.
I always like to think they'r really small,
they couldn't even reach the barb with their lips.

I quit smoking on Father's Day.
3+ months now.
Still miss it, always will pro'ly,
but I figured I ought to do without.
No ECig, cold turkey.
I hear ECigs work really good.

Hangn' in there!

Last edited by lamb; 09-24-2012 at 09:51 PM.
lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
kobra

Any day fishing with Steve is a fun day. M.B. can be a really tough bite with little tidal movement. Sounds like you guys did alright for the tough conditions.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Yeah Kobra, we figured it would be a tough day with the tide the way it was. But, what the heck, it was better than sitting at home.

Thanks Lamb. I've tried cold turkey, patches, gum, nicitrol inhalers... Nothing stuck. The key to the e-cig is getting a good one. Pretty much if you see it on TV or in a mall kiosk it's over-priced junk. As far as the fishing today, they were mostly smaller models. But, better than coming home with a stripe on the back.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post

Side note: Today was my 20th day smoke free, and my first day since I was a kid that I didn't smoke while fishing. Thanks e-cig and ECF.
This was the best part of your story.Congratulations on your effort to quit smoking, and from those of us who don't smoke, we wish you many more.

One hour at a time!

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
HAVABASS
Junior

Missing Fish

If you are using a spinning rod, you may want to try Berkely Nanofil fishing line.

It works great..., zero stretch and no wind knots. Best spinning rod line I have ever tried.

Most of us do not even use a leader, tie straight, and let em have it!

Thanks for the report,

Jeff
HAVABASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
This was the best part of your story.Congratulations on your effort to quit smoking, and from those of us who don't smoke, we wish you many more.

One hour at a time!
X2

roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
X2

x3

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
tehburninator

i hear ya buddy, i went out on sunday into mission bay and hung around under the bridges looking for hali's with no love =/ throwing jerk shads and swimbaits are the normal methods for me for hook up esp on sbb that roam the area... i did manage one... and a mini gay sea bass that was 12 inches the other one was this guy

and congrats on your victory over the tabacco company =) im working on quitting as well

youre my hero
Attached Images

tehburninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Thanks for the support guys. The first week was really rough, since then it's been pretty easy.

Tehburninator, try an e-cig. I've tried everything else under the sun, this has been the only thing to stick. Just get a good one, and work through the learning curve. Check out ECF too.