Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Perris Bluegill

I fished Lake perris this saturday with my neighbor Ron "godzilla" as some of you guys know him....We found the bluegill honey-hole!!! Too much fun! We used crickets and redworms for bait, 2lb mono ultra light rod, we ended up catching close to a hundred if not more between the two of us...bluegill and redear. I ended up releasing just as many as I kept.

We were anchored up in about 7' of water, casting to fish that were sitting 3 to 4' deep. It didn't really start going off until the temp reached about 70, and then it was on! It slowed down around noon, and we were done by that time anyways... it was a blast!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
blitzburgh

Nice going! I was thinking about going Sat too....I should have!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Yakin

Those little mice of the water are fun to waist time on but how do you clean/prepare/cook them they just seem way to boney
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
YakMedic

Way to go on the panfish. Those little bastards are a blast to catch. That tankwell pic is awesome.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
Those little mice of the water are fun to waist time on but how do you clean/prepare/cook them they just seem way to boney
Scale em',cut off head, slice belly and scrape out guts then pan fry whatever way you please. Taste great.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Scale em',cut off head, slice belly and scrape out guts then pan fry whatever way you please. Taste great.
I have no problem with the bones just my wife is barely starting to like fish and even fishing at that.
So I was going to take her to a great blue gill honey whole in the mountains to get her into fishing but wanted to teach her you eat what you keep.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
echo1er

awesome pictures thanks for sharing.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
mtnbykr2

Now let me tell you how we do it in Indiana,
See now in Indy we have a whole bunch of farm ponds and we have big lakes too, but as you know, it gets damn cold in the winter, so we go out on the frozen ponds and lakes drill a hole in the ice and fish that way...not a lot of fun as far as I am concerned but i guess if there is enough beer involved anything can be...
That being said needless to say we get alot of perch and crappie, panfish. ALOT...
The bones are a drag, but if you take enough time which we have there, we fillet em, yeah some people just scale em and gut em, fry them up and
you got yourself a meal. My cousin used to fish all winter and save up the fillets for a big ol fish fry, the mess of gills you got will sufice, fillet them, it's a tedious job but the outcome is worth it.
Bread the fillets how you wish and deep fry em in a turkey frier, best thing since corn on the cobb, oh yeah serve it up with some grilled white corn...starvin now....
Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

I got'em all filleted out! Just like brett said, its a lot of work but well worth it in the end!!! I never liked the taste of bluegill until last year when I finally tasted them..... and they were fantastic! I can honestly say that they were almost as good or as good as rockfish! Perfect for fry'n!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
Siebler

Love it! Been thinking about hitting the WFO crappie at Henshaw lately but am holding out for El Cap since it is my favorite kayak lake.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Now let me tell you how we do it in Indiana,
See now in Indy we have a whole bunch of farm ponds and we have big lakes too, but as you know, it gets damn cold in the winter, so we go out on the frozen ponds and lakes drill a hole in the ice and fish that way...not a lot of fun as far as I am concerned but i guess if there is enough beer involved anything can be...
That being said needless to say we get alot of perch and crappie, panfish. ALOT...
The bones are a drag, but if you take enough time which we have there, we fillet em, yeah some people just scale em and gut em, fry them up and
you got yourself a meal. My cousin used to fish all winter and save up the fillets for a big ol fish fry, the mess of gills you got will sufice, fillet them, it's a tedious job but the outcome is worth it.
Bread the fillets how you wish and deep fry em in a turkey frier, best thing since corn on the cobb, oh yeah serve it up with some grilled white corn...starvin now....
I concure. I was born in Illinois and we get some big o'l gills too. I'd walk around afishing hole with my (shit you not) bamboo fly rod. Drop Dow just past some overhanging grass and watch em just attack your bait.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Only a hundred....you guys are slippin'

I wish I could've made it out.....
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
yakman619
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I fished Lake perris this saturday with my neighbor Ron "godzilla" as some of you guys know him....We found the bluegill honey-hole!!! Too much fun! We used crickets and redworms for bait, 2lb mono ultra light rod, we ended up catching close to a hundred if not more between the two of us...bluegill and redear. I ended up releasing just as many as I kept.

We were anchored up in about 7' of water, casting to fish that were sitting 3 to 4' deep. It didn't really start going off until the temp reached about 70, and then it was on! It slowed down around noon, and we were done by that time anyways... it was a blast!!!

Where are you finding them? The dam or the East end? I'd love to take my 4 year old son out there!
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Found them on the east end in about 3-4 feet, when you findem anchor up outside and cast in.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #15
ronaldsgonzales75
Junior

Awesome!... I'd like to try kayak fishing one day in my free time...
ronaldsgonzales75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
NextBite

WTG! Tony
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldsgonzales75 View Post
Awesome!... I'd like to try kayak fishing one day in my free time...
There is no free time for kayak fishing....Free time is what is left over AFTER kayak fishing. Your not thinking right.