Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Papasledge
Junior

Wilderness System 135 Ride Question

Im shopping for a new kayak and im looking at the new WS 135 ride and a Stealth 14...... Does anybody own or used the new WS 135...really interested in the way it would shore launch... and last what make/model kayak would you suggest. thanks
Papasledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Drake

Love the Ride 135 because of the unreal stability. I personally find Wilderness systems to be better quality over all. The stealth 14 is nice, but I had a lot of issues with my 12. Malibu took care of it, but it was kind of like pulling teeth, and they would always look for the easy way out of something instead of taking care if it the right way from the get go.

The ride 135 also has a pontoon style bottom, where the S14 has a keel. Making the 135 a lot easier to load, similar to how we load our PA's.

Take into account cost factor as well. You need to buy a seat for the S14, where as the R135 comes with Wilderness systems AWESOME seat. A good seat can run you up to $200 ($100 for mid range). You need to buy the live well kit (Got mine on amazon for $40ish and did it myself + a battery from OEX)

Last time I was at OEX in Mission, they had a R135 on display, and I really really liked it. I'm surprised Wilderness systems doesn't have a strong market presence in San Diego. I would say it 40% Hobie 40% Malibu 10% Ocean Kayak 5% everything else

Because of that, the S14 might be more likely to hold their value, allthough I've seen 2 in the last two months on here go for WAY less than I think they should have, fully rigged boats with the bells and whistles.

Good luck, wish I could help more
Neill
Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Papasledge
Junior

Thanks for the info very helpful
Papasledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Drake

Oh and I forgot to mention...

If I'm not mistaken, the 2012 R135 comes with the slidetrax system. It's a little more costly to utilize this system over just screwing stuff into the hull, but it will prevent you from having to put any holes in your boat. You can configure it exactly how you want it as many times as you want. If you drill a scotty mount in and realize it's in your way, you're kind of stuck with it.

However, the counter argument is the Malibu X-Wing. Kind of eh, but very functional and practical for anglers.