Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
tima597
Junior

How Much Juice Do I Need?

Well I’ve decided that I’m going to throw some electrical stuff in the yak. Too used to fishing from a boat I guess . Fishfiner, bait tank, and bilge pump most likely. Stern and navigation lights will probably come a little later as well. Couple questions regarding batteries. What battery would you suggest to run all of this or would you run a separate battery for the bilge pump? Any input would be great!
tima597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

12 volt 5 ah battery will run your fish finder all day, 6 volt 12 ah will run your live well all day. Lights use an led set up all around white light with aa batteries, no vav lights unless you are under power. bilge pump, use a hand pump.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
tima597
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
12 volt 5 ah battery will run your fish finder all day, 6 volt 12 ah will run your live well all day. Lights use an led set up all around white light with aa batteries, no vav lights unless you are under power. bilge pump, use a hand pump.
So you would you run two separate batteries for the fish finder and live well? Also, is there any downside to installing a bilge pump other than cost? This thread got me thinking!
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ght=bilge+pump
Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
He knows what he's talking about.

And his shop offers outstanding service!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
He knows what he's talking about.

And his shop offers outstanding service!!!
Yeah might be a good idea to listen to the guy that lives on kayaks alone.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Papa drew
Junior

I am new to all this but from what I have read and seen Andy knows his stuff. He just did my bait tank and next month I will get me that mark 4 ff. look out bait fish here I come. Do you all hold any tournaments on the biggest mackerel caught?

Papa Drew
Papa drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Drake

Damn Andy, you might as well have a throne for you to sit in at the shop!

I ran my Live well and fish finder on 1 battery on my Stealth and it lasted me pretty much all day, sometimes two trips totaling 6-7hours each. Keep in mind, you only need to keep the live well running when you actually have bait! Duh.

Second, regarding the bilge pump. I would go with the hand pump because it will require you NOT to have to penetrate the hull and the only reason it won't work is user error. What happen if in an emergency you take on water and your connections are messed up, or your battery is dead or for whatever other reason, the pump doesn't come on? Also, if your bilge pump is set up aft, and you go bow heavy, your pump is doing you no favors.

It's also must more cost effective and takes up almost no space. If you're concerned about space, a bilge SPONGE is another good option. It's not as effective but can save you in a squeeze.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Baja_Traveler

+1 what Drake said. I always throw one of those big sponges under the hatch even though I have a manual bilge pump. Pumps won't get the sand out of the hull that invariably creeps in from beach launches, where a sponge will.

I run both my FF and bait tank on one battery, and they will last all day if I'm careful to not run them when not needed.

When I fish the bay bass tournaments and want both running all day long (I use the bait tank as a livewell until the weigh boat comes around), or I've got the kayak down in Baja, I have a flexible 11 watt solar panel I bungie to the fore deck that keeps the battery going indefinitely so long as the sun is shining.

Running a 6 volt battery for the bait tank is a good idea though, since the typical bait pump puts out more water than is needed at 12 volts. For me it's just easier to keep everything at 12 volts for ease of solar charging.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Lots of right ways to do it, this is just what I like to use.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

The new 6volts andy has at oex are awesome. 1 charge will literally run my bait tank for days and I have a 500gph tsunami pump. I havent run the battery dead yet so I cant say for certain just how much life they have in them but its alot. And very fairly priced.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
tima597
Junior

Thanks for all the input guys! Sounds like a trip to OEX is needed.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
jorluivil

Just don't get to much juice..........or else

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
TJones

nice george

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
tima597
Junior

I think he alone would sink my yak!

Hey Iceman, if I place an order online through kayakfishingsupplies can I pick it up at your store or would I have to to drive down to SD? Trying to get everything ready to go before this weekend so its probably a little late to have it shipped.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
TJones

whos the babe?

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote