Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
solo
Junior

fishing vest vs. PDF/life vest

Does any one know if there is a difference between a fishing vest and a PDF?

Meaning does a fishing vest float or does is it just a vest with pockets?
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
blazian

There are fishing vests that are also life vest. The one I just picked up from REI is a Type III PFD, which means it is a PFD with the largest range of arm motion for kayakers. It also is a fishing vest with pockets and clip points. Check it out, Fisher Pro by mti.[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Soo/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
steveooo

A pfd floats and typically fishing vests do not.
I'd look at a combo pfd/fishing vest if you want to be safe, and stil have all the pockets to store your hooks and junk. Also get a pfd designed for paddling, so that you can be comfortable. Here is a good one...

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...man-PFD/Detail
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
solo
Junior

Thanks guys,

I wasnt aware of the 3-4 different types I, II, III, IV.

Which one do most guys use.

I just read that the Type I would be for offshore but is that really necessary?

I've search and cant even find a fishing life vest in Type I.

Any suggestion here guys
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Whizz Bang

I use the cheapest type I could buy, and stow it out of the way in my hull. You will hear a lot of opinions on this one. If you are planning on wearing it, fork out the dough and find one with a wide range of movement and some extra pockets to justify any perceived discomfort from wearing it. If you arent goin to wear it all the time. It doesnt matter. This ultimately comes down to your comfort level in the water.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:21 AM   #6
twitchy

You can get a combo. I think Body Glove makes one. Anything with a USCG symbol on it should work. USCG ( US Coast Guard approved ) this means that if you fall face first into the water, the vest is designed for you to roll you onto your back. I thought by law, you had to have a life jacket on your boat/ kayak?
twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

You do need to have a pfd on board. i just have a seat cushion style one strapped to the back of my bucket. That said I am probably dumb for not ever wearing one but being a surfer I would just swim in no problem
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
-scallywag-
Banned

It is the law to have a PFD easily accessable to each passanger on a boat...im not sure if that crosses over to a kayak without registration.
Obviously it only makes sence to have that law include kayaks but where do u draw the line? do i need wear a PFD to paddle my 11' double eagle Frye around? i hope not...so i'm not sure if the law specifically includes kayaks.
On the other hand, if u have a family, or some other reason to value your own life its down right stupid to not wear one, i meen people do win the lottery, get struck by lightning, attacked by sharks...and run over by PB'er everyday. How much do those things cost anyway...maybe I should consider getting one....wait, do u know who much beer i could by with that money!!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Sherm

I wear a regular vest. My PFD is just taking up room on the yak so I can be compliant. I know I'm dumb for doing so( I guess I like life on the edge) but I hate the restrictions of the PDF while on the yak. They just get in the way.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
If you are planning on wearing it, fork out the dough and find one with a wide range of movement and some extra pockets to justify any perceived discomfort from wearing it. If you arent goin to wear it all the time. It doesnt matter. This ultimately comes down to your comfort level in the water.
My Jacket has very few pockets and I wear it most of the time. My jacket is super comfortable, I feel no discomfort wearing it. If you spend the money your going to be comfortable. If you buy a cheap jacket your not going to be comfortable, will not wear it, and then be really sorry when you need it and it is stashed inside of your kayak that youve been separated from.

Instead of trying to justify wearing a jacket with the amount of pockets on it why not justify wearing it with the fact that it can save your life? Dont cheap on LIFE SAVING equipment.

Last edited by Siebler; 10-20-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
You do need to have a pfd on board. i just have a seat cushion style one strapped to the back of my bucket. That said I am probably dumb for not ever wearing one but being a surfer I would just swim in no problem

You should check regulations. Note that on your kayak you are required to have a life Jacket (type III is the common one, Type I/II/III/V is acceptable).

A Seat Cushion is not a legal Life Preserver on your kayak. That type of Life Preserver falls under the Type IV Throwable. These are required Boats over 16' (I do not believe kayaks fall in this however).

Wearable lifejackets must be readily accessible. They shall not be stored in Locked or Latches compartments.

Also note that All persons under 13 years of age are Required to wear their jacket while aboard a boat in the State of California.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/li...fe_jacket.aspx

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
You should check regulations. Note that on your kayak you are required to have a life Jacket (type III is the common one, Type I/II/III/V is acceptable).

A Seat Cushion is not a legal Life Preserver on your kayak. That type of Life Preserver falls under the Type IV Throwable. These are required Boats over 16' (I do not believe kayaks fall in this however).

Wearable lifejackets must be readily accessible. They shall not be stored in Locked or Latches compartments.

Also note that All persons under 13 years of age are Required to wear their jacket while aboard a boat in the State of California.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/li...fe_jacket.aspx

Damn, I have a couple cheapos in the garage i guess i could throw one there.
Thanks for the info
Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote