Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

RockFishin' Redondo...

Sunday started off with some pretty good offshore winds that made it tough to stay on the spots and the sonar fish-marks...I had a first time kayaker and fisherman out with us on one of the PA 14s...I think he's ready to get a kayak after the beautiful day we had yesterday. That Pro Angler makes it so easy and comfortable for a beginner.
The newbie had the first hookup and it was a double of Bocasio and a Vermilion...he was stoked...Dinner on his first drop...the wind picked up and the fish count went downhill for a couple of hours...we really struggled to stay on the fish and get a few hook-ups. The guys were happy with a few tasty Sand Dabs as we quickly drifted off the structure and onto the mud or sand...a few were as big as a short Halibut.
Around 10am the wind died down for about 1 1/2 hours before it switched around and blew us back in. When the wind backed off I switched from the 8 and 10 ounce weights to a 5 ounce weight and started slaying them...I quickly had a limit of a nice mix of rockfish, mostly Vermillions.
I had an interesting experience yesterday as I hooked a fish that really pulled hard for a few seconds before my spectra broke about 10' from the end of my rod...I was bummed as this was a prototype rig from Promar/AHI and it had caught a lot of fish over the last couple of weeks and that was also a lot of spectra to be floating around with that fish. I re-rigged and caught a few more fish, then re-set on the spot again when I felt some line rubbing on my rig. The new guy was near me and I thought we had gotten tangled AGAIN...So I yanked on the line and said "do you feel that"...nope it's not tangled with him...what the hell?...so I reeled in my line and found some spectra tangled...I hand-lined the loose spectra in, to find not only my prototype rig and 8oz. weight but a beautiful big rockfish still kickin'.
There were two guys in Malibu yaks fishing the same spot for only a few fish due to the morning winds...you guys should have stuck it out just a little longer till the wind died...it was gorgeous and the peddle back was easy.
I saw Tony and Roby peddling back from out deeper...I'm not sure how they did...Roby said they had lots of Sandies.
Have a Great Holiday all you BWE friends...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
blitzburgh

Nice work Jim! I gotta get out there before the season ends.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Yeah we caught Sandbass...we all know what they look like...awesome quality though!

Just in case you don't...

[/URL]
Old 12-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
hiramehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
There were two guys in Malibu yaks fishing the same spot for only a few fish due to the morning winds...you guys should have stuck it out just a little longer till the wind died...it was gorgeous and the peddle back was easy.
That was me and a newbie. He was in a mini-x and i was in an OK Trident 13. I wish we could have stayed out longer but we had to get back. I was hoping for a better experience for him but he was totally sold and now wants to buy a yak for him and his wife Sounded like your guys were having a great time! I'm hoping to squeeze in one more session before Jan 1.
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
jorluivil

remember that MAKO or GWS video that I posted a few months ago? I caught that GWS while rockfishing

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
ol'skool

Newbie Question

I'm an old guy newbie that has spent most of his time getting acquainted with his kayak in the shelter of Cabrillo and Redondo where I usually fish since I live in Lomita. I've been venturing out more and about 4 weeks ago my buddy and I took our Outbacks a couple of miles out to the artificial reef off Redondo for nothing more than small whitefish and TONS of macks. My newbie question is, how do you find the rockfish? I assumed that finding the structure would produce the rockfish. Is there another way to find submerged structure other than wandering around until it shows up on the FF? Or just getting marks on the FF as you peddle around? BTW, we used a mix of jigs and squid strips on dropper loops. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
ol'skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
King Saba

Man those are some toad Sand Bass! Love catching those things from the deep. The rolling is second to none!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
Yellfever11

Where do u launch in redondo? Always want to try this area but with little knowledge to area therefore I'm hesitant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellfever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

Finding Rockfish

My newbie question is, how do you find the rockfish? I assumed that finding the structure would produce the rockfish. Is there another way to find submerged structure other than wandering around until it shows up on the FF? Or just getting marks on the FF as you peddle around? BTW, we used a mix of jigs and squid strips on dropper loops. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

"Time on the water"...is the best advise I can give any fisherman.
Look for structure in water over 100' deep if you're looking for rockfish, and look for hard bottom areas...that would be a bottom on your fish finder that shows red or solid rocky ground...then look for scattered fish marks just off the bottom...these usually appear as smaller blue dots or specks littering the bottom and just off the bottom.
I use my breadcrumb feature on my GPS to back-track or remember the areas I've covered. and when you find fish just follow that track right back to the spot and watch your sonar as you get closer to where you caught the fish...I usually use a split screen and thats a good reason to go with the bigger screen on your electronics...4" just doesn't cut it.

Jigs work OK but a strip of squid on a shrimp fly with a larger hook will keep a lot of the little guys off the hook and it's easier to maintain the bottom without getting hung-up...especially for a newer fisherman.
"Rocks don't move" so don't expect anyone to give up some numbers very easily.
You'll just have to "wander around until it shows up on the FF?"...I've found many new spots while traveling to fishing spots or looking around while my lobster nets soak.
Sorry...youre just going to have to put some work in to get some fish tacos...
Hopefully Kevin Nakada and I will be doing Kayak GPS/Sonar seminars at the Hobie seminar stage at the Fred Hall Shows in March.
Good Luck

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 12-20-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
King Saba

I'd say finding the rockfish holes are half strategy and half luck. My last few trips have been mostly luck!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #11
ol'skool

Many Thanks Jim...

for the great advice and tips. I look forward to putting in the time on the water, I just love being out there. With a little luck and more knowledge maybe it'll be a little more productive as well! If you see a big 60 yr old redhead out there in a 2016 dune Outback swing by and say hi...I'll reserve an IPA for ya

Ol' Skool / Bruce
ol'skool is offline   Reply With Quote