Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
MrPukaShell

Beach Access/Launching Pt. Dune Area

Does anyone fish the Paradise Cove/Pt. Dume area? If so where are you launching from? We fished the area last Sunday but it was a long paddle from where we launched. I would like to find a closer area if possible. Thanks in advance for sharing.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

You either launch from Zuma beach (3 dollar parking for 9am), depending on the surf. Or a small little beach call Esco beach. Free parking, (DO NOT BLOCK THE BUS STOP), long way to pt dume.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
MrPukaShell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
You either launch from Zuma beach (3 dollar parking for 9am), depending on the surf. Or a small little beach call Esco beach. Free parking, (DO NOT BLOCK THE BUS STOP), long way to pt dume.
That was where we launched from and it was a "Long" paddle from there. I thought about launching on the Zuma side but I know the surf break can be hazardous at times.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
That was where we launched from and it was a "Long" paddle from there. I thought about launching on the Zuma side but I know the surf break can be hazardous at times.

Correction** Deadly at times

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 10-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
GregAndrew

Cummon you sissy Frank, I have seen worse in my bathtub!!
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

Yeah you already have a wet butt...lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
MrPukaShell

Quote:
Correction** Deadly at times

I gotta tell you I remember a day clear as heck some 35 years ago we were body surfing at Zuma. Got slammed into the sand by a huge wave that broke in about a foot of water. I spit sand for a week & never went back after that. So I agree with the "Deadly at Times" comment.(Great pic by the way)

My buddy checked and the folks at Paradise Cove said no launching from shore allowed, WTF. I would figure at $20.00 a car they would be all over it. I want to fish that area a few more times before it gets closed. A lot of good memories fishing the boats out of Paradise Cove and the Malibu Pier.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
JRD
Junior

The beach closer to Pt. Dume is actually Westward, and if anything its worse than Zuma because it drops off steeper. Funny how you can get completely pounded 10 feet from shore because your in 10 feet of water and cant jump out. From Escondido you can fish the Dume and BKR areas. Actually Paradise Cove and BKR is not that far, about a mile or so. Dume is another mile and a half past that but the wind and tide seem to always be against you coming and going. Check Westward first, then go south if you feel its too big.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
coxtanker421

dont bother planning to go out malibu . high wind advisory. the wind blows more than 30 - 60 miles and hour at the launch site. if the surf is more the 1 - 2 , it is very nasty. breaks very vast and hard. combine that with the winds and swell. very difficult to get back in without a hobie. if anyone needs directions to launch site for future use, fell free to pm me.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Does anyone fish the Paradise Cove/Pt. Dume area? If so where are you launching from?

I can never figure out why it's so hard to get good Malibu info online. People never seem to share, it's almost like some kind of conspiracy

Yep you can launch at Zuma but most launch at Esco going in through a public access gate to the beach on the east side of Escondido Creek. You're not going to find anything closer then those two.

The weather and conditions are perfect for the next 10 days: under 2ft at around 14 seconds with winds less the 10 knots for the rest of the week. You can basically launch anywhere from the pier to County line.

http://magicseaweed.com/Malibu-Surf-...#forecastTable

http://magicseaweed.com/County-Line-...#forecastTable

Oh No!! Now you got me thinking about going.

One heads up if you don't already know it: Be careful what you post about fishing there. Shhhhhhh.... Secret messages only

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-26-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxtanker421 View Post
dont bother planning to go out malibu . high wind advisory. the wind blows more than 30 - 60 miles and hour at the launch site. if the surf is more the 1 - 2 , it is very nasty. breaks very vast and hard. combine that with the winds and swell. very difficult to get back in without a hobie. if anyone needs directions to launch site for future use, fell free to pm me.

Just treat Malibu like any other place, read the weather reports, surf reports, and swell, and wind reports.

There are many times where the weather is rough.

This reminds me of a story.

A few of us went out to fish Malibu a while back and the surf was killer. I claimed it was 5 ft wave, some denied it, and gave all these theories about being 2 to 3 ft.

My point being the surf was big. One of my friends got SWALLOWED BY THE WAVE. Sad to say he does not go there anymore.Cost him 800 dollars in damage.

OKCIRE

as Belcom once said "that place can produce the surf from hell"

Old 10-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
bubblehide

Quote:
...There are many times where the weather is rough.
This reminds me of a story.

A few of us went out to fish Malibu a while back and the surf was killer. I claimed it was 5 ft wave, some denied it, and gave all these theories about being 2 to 3 ft.

Frank, there you go again with your fibbing, I saw those pictures, it was way over 5'
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Frank, there you go again with your fibbing, I saw those pictures, it was way over 5'

Yes, you are right. I said it was a 6ft wave

So ill stick to my story! 6ft WAVE Annihilation!

You had to be there to experience the magnitude of the wave the photo does it no justice.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
That's way bigger than 5ft has to be at least 12-15ft. Look at that barrel, you could pull a semi truck in it.

I launch esco quite a bit. As long as you do your due diligence its a great launch and not a bad paddle to bkr at all.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote