Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Ohana

Newport Harbor, December 20, 2009

Nothing really exciting to report. My wife had an early soccer game in Newport, so I was able to get in a couple of hours in Newport Harbor after the game during when the tide was moving from high to low. A lot of junk still in the water from the rains last weekend, but I was able to c&r two spotted bay bass. Water was slight green but clear in the shallows, but a lot of grass and other floating vegetation.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
NextBite

thanks for the report
Old 12-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Fish4Fun

Newport Harbor

Not sure which part you fished at. I was out in the Back Bay area (north of PCH) on Sat Dec 19th. Conditions were similar (high to low tide) to what you described.. green and clear in shallow, lots of floatin veg and some junk. got skunk! ... but had a fun time with my daughter sharing my mini-X.
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Ohana

I ended up getting the two bass just southwest of the Newport Aquatic Center; I was casting crankbaits parallel to the boats on the main channel just past the first small cove with the houses on the water. The tide was really moving at that time, so I fished next to areas that had a good current.

Last month I caught and released 12 bay bass in 2 hours in the same area. I suspect that the recent heavy rains pushed most of the bass out of the back bay and upper Newport Harbor for now due to the fresh water causing a lowering of salinity and cooling the water.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote