Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
45user

WTB Battery for trolling motor

Hello all,
Need a battery for trolling motor. Motor is minn Kota endura c2 30lb thrust motor. It's not for my kayak. I need something to last me good 6-7 hours of use
I'm in LA/OC
Thank you!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

If you want a good battery for your minn kota and light.

my best estimation this battery will give your 1.5hrs at full throttle, but last all day if you use it at half throttle.

https://www.bioennopower.com/collect...attery-charger

My friend went the cheaper alternative he bought a blue optima car battery deep cycle, last him about 50 mins full throttle all 4-6hrs at less that half throttle.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
YTHunter
Carlisle

I'm using the same motor (Endura C30 30lb) for my 13ft Revo. Took a lot of test data a while back to help figure out what it would do at the the various speed settings (#1 to #5) in varying wind, chop, and current conditions.

(Note, all data below is for a 50AH deep cycle marine battery)

While your battery will run MUCH longer at the lower speeds (speed 1 => 6 hrs, speed 5 => 2 hrs), what you really need to be focused on is the RANGE.

To illustrate this point, if you run your motor at lowest speed setting (i.e. #1) into a really strong current/wind, you'll barely develop enough propulsion to overcome the current. So even though your battery will last 6 hours at this setting, you could literally make NO headway after 6 hours. In contrast, under similar conditions at the #5 speed setting, you'll probably average about 2.5 mph. So even though you battery will only last 2 hours at this setting, you'll at least overcome the current/wind and make about 5 miles forward progress.

In windless/currentless conditions, you will get approximately the same battery life time, but at speed 1 you'll do about 1.5 mph and at setting 5 you'll do about 3.8 mph. So in ideal conditions, at speed setting #1 you'll get about 9 miles (1.5mph x 6 hrs), and at speed setting 5 you'll get about 7.6 miles (3.8 mph x 2 hrs).

Long story short, I typically get about 5 to 6 miles fishing La Jolla with a 50 AH deep cycle marine battery. I tend to run it at speed setting 4 or 5 with moderate to strong currents/winds, and setting 3 in light winds/currents. I typically peddle/paddle out to the fishing grounds and fish for a while, and pull the motor out of the front hatch and use it for the ride in.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTHunter View Post
what you really need to be focused on is the RANGE.
What he says is true, You want to make sure you have enough battery life to fight the current and wind on the way back from fishing, the last thing you want to do is to carry an extra 100 lbs of dead weight. I like to get where i am going fast and come back fast, i eat batteries like thanksgiving dinner

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 06-01-2016 at 07:03 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
YTHunter
Carlisle

BTW, my battery is a VMAX MR86-50 (50Ah) AGM Deep Cycle SLA battery. Battery weight is 32lbs, which is less than a filled bait tank. Got mine new on EBay for around $120 including tax and shipping. I permanently strapped an 18" rubber bungee cord to the battery using heavy duty zip ties I got from Harbor Freight. I use the bungee to strap the battery to the back of my kayak behind my bait tank. I mounted two deck loops to strap it to.

BTW, I have a 35 AH version of this same battery (VMAX) for sell for $70. It's got very little use (less than 5 hours). Battery weight is 24lbs PM me if interested.