Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
driftwood

video rescue

San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.comNew storm brings rain and strong winds to San Diego

Member Center:

• PM PST

Video Gallery

New storm brings rain and strong winds to San Diego

2:45

Links

SAN DIEGO, Calif. (CBS 8) - Some early morning showers and gusty winds greeted San Diegans on their way to work this morning.
For now it seems like the rains are mostly gone, but the wind is sticking around.
In this video story, News 8's Kimberly King is tracking your MicroClimate forecast, and Rekha Muddaraj reports on the rescue of kayakers in La Jolla.

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
dorado50

Experienced kayakers "my ass". The surface wind was much too
strong before some launched (around 5am). At least that one guy had on a pfd. That reporter girl said "yellowtail",not good..Someone said earlier that YT makes people do crazy things..no doubt. If only someone would of told them that this inclimate weather moves fish around then they might not of challenged mother nature? At least they made it back alive..happy about that.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Billy V

That reporter got it all wrong... there are no yellowtail in La Jolla.

Who were those guys ??
Come on - Fess Up we are going to find out anyway.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Wow...what some will do for 15 minutes (or seconds) of fame...

Wait...was her name Rekha or Rica?

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
CurtyL

Ha Billy LOL!. Those guys have iron sacks for heading out into that shit - in decmber no less. Smart, dumb, whatever - that took nads.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
SquidVicious
Junior

There aren't many "experienced kayakers" that would paddle in those conditions - let alone try to fish (pointless!). Very uncool to force others to risk thier lives and gear and spend taxpayer $$ going out in conditions you have no business in. If we kayakers ever find ourselves on the receiving end of regulations that prevent us from launching when and where we want to . . .then we will have guys like these to thank.
SquidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Dean Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidVicious View Post
If we kayakers ever find ourselves on the receiving end of regulations that prevent us from launching when and where we want to . . .then we will have guys like these to thank.
What do you mean?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Podaker

in the computer industry it's called an ID 10 T error. push it together and see what it spells!
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Dean Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podaker View Post
in the computer industry it's called an ID 10 T error. push it together and see what it spells!
I'm not quite interested in entering an infinite loop conversation here. The question was for squid vicious.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
CurtyL

Squid we're already on the recieving end of those regulations. Who cares. Just fish and let the regulatory bodies fall where they may. I do agree with the point that if you need a rescue, you should pay for the rescue. At least for part of it. SD is broke enough as it is.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
swinginFish

Fill us in

Could some of those who risked the elements fill me/us in on what caused the blind eye to the conditions? What was the thought process? For those who got - or were close to getting - hypothermia, were wetsuits or waders worn? Which yaks faired best in the rough water? How did paddles get lost? How long did it take from time of hailing to lifeguard's time of arrival? Any warnings/recommendations?

Much to be gained by all who read these posts if those who experienced this drama/trauma could speak up.

Thanks,

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:57 AM   #12
SquidVicious
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Machine View Post
What do you mean?
I mean if somebody ever tells us "Kayaks may not launch when winds are forecast to be over X knots". Imagine a future scenario where you get to the beach and see the "weather flag" waving and have to go home.

If there are enough rescues or, heaven forbid, a fatality in bad conditions it might occurr to somebody to try and pass such a law.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #13
Dean Machine

I guess I see your point, but its tough to point the blame to just a couple of guys. It would suck to not have the choice to launch or not due to some crazy regulation.
I keep wondering if there was anyone on the beach that morning who actually persuaded anyone not to launch due to their own better judgement of the conditions. It would be nice if we could try to "police our own" instead of ending up in the spotlight.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

I would bet that I would have launched. This wind was not supposed to come up until late morning. The glider showed 10 kts of wind at 5AM after blowing 15, it would appear to be a good morning lull. Unfortunately it turned on like a switch at 25 to 30 kts with gusts to 45 in an hours time. Paddling out after it got this bad is no doubt stupid, but getting caught out in it is just unfortunate. I am glad all are safe, some times little mistakes made public can save lives in the future. Imagine if these winds were Sanata Ana, that is scary!
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
SquidVicious
Junior

Quote:
I guess I see your point, but its tough to point the blame to just a couple of guys. It would suck to not have the choice to launch or not due to some crazy regulation.
I keep wondering if there was anyone on the beach that morning who actually persuaded anyone not to launch due to their own better judgement of the conditions. It would be nice if we could try to "police our own" instead of ending up in the spotlight.
Don't forget that this also happened last year. Same place and same time of year. Wanna make a bet on next year? I'm not blaming just this one group of guys . . but guys *like* these . .who do not take the ocean, weather and safety seriously.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
Dean Machine

I totally agree. It probably will happen again too but hopefully not.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #17
Dean Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I am glad all are safe, some times little mistakes made public can save lives in the future. Imagine if these winds were Sanata Ana, that is scary!
Yes, I have heard plenty of stories about the Santa Ana winds and kayaking. That's pretty scary stuff. These stories need to be heard.

It would be nice to see a sticky thread on the general discussion board related to these types of stories.

Last edited by Dean Machine; 12-24-2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: bbbb
Dean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
Iceman
Administrator

For the finger pointers, the day prior I launched at 4:45 and see no reason I would not have done so on Tuesday.

I would say it was a slow news day with a little sensationalism thrown in to swirl the pot. The LG and CG likely saw it as a good opportunity to dust off their boots and went above and beyond what was needed. How were thay to know all were accounted for. The one guy was brought to the hospital as a precaution only. Experienced guys that got caught out there worked together and watched out for others. Take out the one kayaker that probably should not have been out there at all (alone) and there really is no news story.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I would bet that I would have launched. This wind was not supposed to come up until late morning.
I hear that!!

I was watching the weather and thinking about a trip down, after a 2 hour drive down with the conditions at 4:30AM I would of gone out for sure. The only reason I didn't come down was the wind came up early, up here, and I've been sick.

I'll tell you one thing as soon as it started to blow though I would of headed in, as it was projected to blow later in the morning, and I knew it was coming.

One thing I might add. When it get's really rough I stow all my gear and then attach not only a leash to my paddle, but also a lanyard from myself to the yak so if I end up in the water I won't loose the yak or paddle.

Additionally I keep my radio in my life vest pocket so If I do have to call for help I don't have to open a hatch to get my radio.

Open a hatch and loose the cover and your completely screwwed in those conditions. When it gets rough I want a clean deck with no distractions so I con concentrate on staying in the yak and paddling home.
Just my take though.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
Dean Machine

Quote:
These stories need to be heard.
Not trying to point fingers by any means, just saying that stories of close calls would benefit alot of yakkers. This story has been told as far as I can tell by everyone that was there. The team work shown by all that were out there was great. The guys were practically to the shore when the lifeguards jumped in and would have easily made it. I agree with Andy, the news was slow and it was a good opp. for the rescuers to get some training in. One never knows when it will matter though. I definitely would not expect those guys to just sit on shore and watch those guys come in on their own. If I were them I would have felt some obligation to help out. Yes, the wind was tricky as it came up really quick that morning just like the charts show.