Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Mr_Fixit

Hobie Outback + Sail

Greetings all,

I have been fishing on my Outback for about a year now. When I am out, I like to find some spot and drift around a bit, then move on depending on how business is. I would like to increase my range a bit and use a sail to get around. Looking at the sail setup, its not clear if its a functional solution.

Along with the sail, I was going to get the sidekicks for stability. When I head out, I often have my bait tank onboard as well. I am concerned with the following and hope you guys could say it would work or not:
  • Sidekick will interfere with the placement/function of the bait tank?
  • Sail rigging and control lines interfere with my sonar (Mounted on the left side, in that little well there)
  • Sail rigging interfering with anything else? (bait tank, or whatever)
  • Or is this just a stupid idea and I should stick with what I got.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
CrazzyGar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
Greetings all,

I have been fishing on my Outback for about a year now. When I am out, I like to find some spot and drift around a bit, then move on depending on how business is. I would like to increase my range a bit and use a sail to get around. Looking at the sail setup, its not clear if its a functional solution.

Along with the sail, I was going to get the sidekicks for stability. When I head out, I often have my bait tank onboard as well. I am concerned with the following and hope you guys could say it would work or not:
  • Sidekick will interfere with the placement/function of the bait tank?
  • Sail rigging and control lines interfere with my sonar (Mounted on the left side, in that little well there)
  • Sail rigging interfering with anything else? (bait tank, or whatever)
  • Or is this just a stupid idea and I should stick with what I got.

Sidekicks outriggers are a good idea if you don't know how to control the sail. Bait Tank isn't your problem.... But your rods in the rod holders will be. The Sidekick mounting bar goes behind your seat and won't interfere with your bait tank. As for you FF... There shouldn't be any issues.

Pic of mine in a Revo 13 so you can get an idea.

I have a Hobie sail for sale in like new condition with Hobie storage bag. DM me if interested. I'll send you pic and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
Harry Hill

where do you put the sail when your aren't sailing? Does it fold forward? Is the mast two piece?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
CrazzyGar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
where do you put the sail when your aren't sailing? Does it fold forward? Is the mast two piece?

I keep it in place. I made a PVC furler to roll up the sail. But I have taken it out and put it on the side.

No it doesn't file forward.

Yes the mast is two piece.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
CrazzyGar

Quote:

Old 03-01-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
ctfphoto

Get the Sail as it is awesomely fun.

I use mine all the time on the outback.

The outback is so stable you do not need the sidekicks.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazzyGar View Post

I knew this would happen. I didn't mean when you are at home. I mean when you are on the water. It seems it would be in the way when fishing or if you are just peddling. Plus, it has to change the center of gravity and make the boat more top heavy. What do you do with the sail and mast if you are just drifting and fishing or slow trolling with the peddles?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
CrazzyGar

Quote:
I knew this would happen. I didn't mean when you are at home. I mean when you are on the water. It seems it would be in the way when fishing or if you are just peddling. Plus, it has to change the center of gravity and make the boat more top heavy. What do you do with the sail and mast if you are just drifting and fishing or slow trolling with the peddles?

Additional pictures just so you can see it assembled and stored.

Once again on the water I leave it in will drifting, peddling, or on anchor.

If you want to take it out while on the water... Just bungy to the side of yak where your paddle goes. Earlier model Hobie has bungy on both sides.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #9
Mr_Fixit

Anchoring - Thanks for mentioning that. I had an anchor once on my Outback. Worked well until I tried to pull it up so I can move somewhere else. I absolutely could NOT get it unstuck from the ground. I ended up having to cut the line. How do you de-anchor?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
kirkdavis

Anchor setup

Quote:
Anchoring - Thanks for mentioning that. I had an anchor once on my Outback. Worked well until I tried to pull it up so I can move somewhere else. I absolutely could NOT get it unstuck from the ground. I ended up having to cut the line. How do you de-anchor?
What you need to do is have your rope/chain attached to the nose of the anchor, then run your rope/chain along the shank and attach to the other end with a zip tie or light wire - something that you can break with a hard pull. If the anchor is stuck, when you pull hard the zip tie will break, and you will then be pulling on the other end and that should pull it out of most obstacles. YOu can find pictures somewhere on this site.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #11
CrazzyGar

Quote:

You rigged your anchor incorrectly....!!!

I've worked on Charter boats and owned many boats. Never have a anchor without chain and never connect it to the top of the anchor....!!!

Option #1
Connect to the nose/end and use wire or zip tie to the other end.... Something that you can breakaway when pulling up HARD. Then the other end that is connected solid will pull it out the opposite direction.

Option #2
Tie a rope or cable from each end with a Ring or QUIK link that will slide from noise to tail... Connect you chain to the ring or quick link. This way you don't have to pull hard to break the wire or zip tie.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #12
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazzyGar View Post
You rigged your anchor incorrectly....!!!

I've worked on Charter boats and owned many boats. Never have a anchor without chain and never connect it to the top of the anchor....!!!

Option #1
Connect to the nose/end and use wire or zip tie to the other end.... Something that you can breakaway when pulling up HARD. Then the other end that is connected solid will pull it out the opposite direction.

Option #2
Tie a rope or cable from each end with a Ring or QUIK link that will slide from noise to tail... Connect you chain to the ring or quick link. This way you don't have to pull hard to break the wire or zip tie.

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered a new anchor and line. Once it arrives, I am going to find some suitable zips and rig it per Option #1.

Gonna head to Fast Lane this weekend and chat with them about the sail. I want to physically see it, how its rigged, how it works, and see if its going to cause any issues. Per everyones comments, I dont think it will, but I like to be cautions with such things.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #13
Mr_Fixit

Ok. Got my new anchor but have to test out and select some Zip Ties (Thanks again for the tips on that).

Visited the awesome dudes at Fast Lane on Sunday and walked out with my new sail and sidekicks. I watched a few videos on youtube and really like some of the rigging setups some dudes have, especially the furling kit (On order from Amazon). The idea of running the control line through the stern and hand holding it just struck me as problematic. So, I am going to get two clip on pulleys (So I can take them off for when I load my yak on my car) and a rope latch so my control like does not get lost when the sail is furled.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #14
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I parked my PA near some boilers off Capo, and when some bigger sets came through I needed to pull up quick but found it a big mistake to drop on the reefs because my anchor was stuck good. I was ready to cut the rope before I got rolled but gave it one last hard pull and I felt it pop and the anchor came up. Totally forgot but stoked to find I had a installed a zip-tie on the top of the anchor.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote