Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Denis_Ruso

Malibu 4-14

Launched at First Light to some cold early morning weather with 2 buddies looking for bait to target some larger species. Paddles all over never marked a single school of bait. Bait was impossible to find.

We gave up on bait after about an hour and decided to explore some deep water since there was absolutely no sign of life. Paddled out deep and had a good bite on some deep water sandbass in 110-120 feet. Stopped fishing for them because they were coming up with barotrauma. I kept a skinny 16 incher as he wasn't going to live.

Moved out to some deeper structure and found the rockpile I was looking for. The rockpile took less than two hours to limit out 3 of us with quality grade Reds, Starry eye and chuckleheads. Best part was is all the bites were on a 60g coltsniper.

My buddies were having a little trouble getting the bite going so we cut up an octopus that I jigged up and tipped their jigs with an octo tentacle. That got them going.

Fished right along side the Spitfire at one point and tried to hail them on the radio for a boat burger... No such luck. I was ready to drop 20$ on boat burger at that point.

Heaviest rockfish was a chucklehead at 2 lbs 11 Oz on a calibrated digital rapala scale.
Attached Images

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
slobound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Launched at First Light to some cold early morning weather with 2 buddies looking for bait to target some larger species. Paddles all over never marked a single school of bait. Bait was impossible to find.

We gave up on bait after about an hour and decided to explore some deep water since there was absolutely no sign of life. Paddled out deep and had a good bite on some deep water sandbass in 110-120 feet. Stopped fishing for them because they were coming up with barotrauma. I kept a skinny 16 incher as he wasn't going to live.

Moved out to some deeper structure and found the rockpile I was looking for. The rockpile took less than two hours to limit out 3 of us with quality grade Reds, Starry eye and chuckleheads. Best part was is all the bites were on a 60g coltsniper.

My buddies were having a little trouble getting the bite going so we cut up an octopus that I jigged up and tipped their jigs with an octo tentacle. That got them going.

Fished right along side the Spitfire at one point and tried to hail them on the radio for a boat burger... No such luck. I was ready to drop 20$ on boat burger at that point.

Heaviest rockfish was a chucklehead at 2 lbs 11 Oz on a calibrated digital rapala scale.

Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
Snags

Nice haul.
Thanks for the report.
Cool you caught them on the coltsniper.
Snags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Malibu 4-14

Sometimes all it takes is a little scent to kick up the bite. Funny on the burger. Sometimes I feel it too. Screw bringing food I’m too busy fishing to eat food. Then about 1-2 pm it kicks in
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Oolie
Headshots Only

Nice jigfish!
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
blitzburgh

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
Tekniks

Nice report! Usually don’t see a report close to home. Maybe we can link up
Tekniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:44 AM   #8
Cjleon90

Nice report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cjleon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #9
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekniks View Post
Nice report! Usually don’t see a report close to home. Maybe we can link up
Yah sure, just message me when you plan on going out. I'm usually diving or fishing.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
Baja Marty

Nice catch!

Where do you launch, near the pier or further north? I used to kayak from Leo Carillo years ago. Eventually I tired of wiping out in the surf.
Baja Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Marty View Post
Nice catch!

Where do you launch, near the pier or further north? I used to kayak from Leo Carillo years ago. Eventually I tired of wiping out in the surf.

Further north. Our launch spots are few and far in between out here.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #12
King Saba

Reds and chuckleheads. Can't beat that!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:21 AM   #13
JohnMckroidJr

Good Report, nice chuckle head. Love the photo with the 3/4 day boat in the background - LOL. Back in my pre-kayak SoCal days, the party boats sometimes winged sinkers or heavy lure snagging lines at any boat that came too close. I sometimes wonder how they are handling the explosion of kayak fishing enthusiasts ? They use to monitor VHF ch 69, maybe you could have ordered your cheese burger over the radio --LOL ?
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #14
fourtogo

Cattle boats

Had them barge in trying shove me off my spot by doing same thing . Chucking heavy iron and sinkers at me and my boat . I am sitting there for a hour or more holding In place with trolling motor . Two can play that game I start dragging In customers lines . They moved off after eyeballs on deck started looking in wheelhouse . Cattle boats only care about numbers . Numbers at the dock is only thing the give a crap about .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #15
equyst
Banned

Nice report.
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote