Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

LJ-Saturday

I got a late start Saturday as I was "out" Friday night. I'm not sure what time I got in the water, probably around 9:00 Am.

Pretty much straight out I came upon a huge school of six inch greenbacks and made maybe twenty of them, then proceeded up the line to the area I had several good hookups last Monday.

I settled in, got a bait down on the dropper, and maybe had my first pickup after about thirty minutes. The fish was just huge. It took off under my yak digging me in and then spinning me around on a dime as it headed into the kelp. I followed it for maybe seventy feet before it broke off above the top shot in the 65 spectra. Just a huge fish.

After that I hook one up maybe every thirty minutes and whatever they are it becomes obvious I'm just severely under gunned with my forty rig for them in the kelp.

Now I have fished a lot of big fish, up to over 400 pounds, I once landed a 14 ft+ thresher on forty, so by the third one I'm thinking there is no way these could possibly be white seabass, Blacks at best, more likely sharks of some kind, and not small ones either. I mean I'm putting everything I can into them and they are cleaning my clock.

Fishing is always a learning experience for me and by then I just wanted to know what they were.

Well about the seventh one I hooked I got my answer. This one was noticeably smaller and I get him up to deep color before he made it to the kelp. A monster Seven Gill maybe 150 pounds.

Considering his size and compared to the way the others fought all I can say is the others most of just been real monsters. So I got my answer even if it took me most of the day to do it.

So by now it's pushing 4:00 PM and I'm thinking there is no point and trying my "spot" any longer. A guy I know is fishing maybe a hundred yards away so I paddle up to see how he's doing.

About half way there I watched him hook up and it was the right kind. I'm not going to go into details but he was not fishing the way I was: not macks, no dropper, and while I watched or "tried" to catch my own he got two, one of which he released. Before anyone freaks out these fish were caught in shallow water, and the one he let go was in primo shape, and properly revived so I have no doubt it made it.

At any rate here's his small one that ate the hook too deep and came up bleeding. (Sorry about the smudge but the fish just splashed the camera)

For reference the one he released was a third larger.

So here I am, in the middle of a epic trophy Seabass bite. Two fish caught in less then an hours time, one over forty, the other over fifty a storm, with high winds coming the next day...... This was my chance before the conditions changed.

Josh was right there with advice, gave me bait, in fact he did everything but tie on my hook, but though I fished till midnight I could not get one to go.

Call me snake bit, but the truth is he was doing something a little new to me and tired as I was after a long day of messing with prehistoric monsters, I just did not adapt quickly enough and missed the boat....

Well there will be other boats no doubt.

So there you have it. Long day on the water half a dozen hookups on ancient sharks that before then I had only heard about and never seen. Anther half dozen bass and miscellaneous creatures that I did not even bother to photograph, and priceless lesson, at the hands of a master replete with fifty pound plus visual aids.

God I love fishing La Jolla!!!

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 03-22-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
ratdog

Who is that guy? Seems awfully familiar looking, beautiful fish.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
aftahour

WOW what a monster ...
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Siebler

Jim did you get a water temp? I ask you because I know your reading would be accurate with that transducer you did. Going to do some dives before the Show this week and want to know what to wear.

Thanks

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Jim did you get a water temp? I ask you because I know your reading would be accurate with that transducer you did. Going to do some dives before the Show this week and want to know what to wear.
I'm still reading around sixty, I saw some areas down as low as 59.5 and up to 60.5 but it never went to 61. With the wind etc... this week who knows

Jim
Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Siebler

cool Thanks.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Nice meeting you out there Jim. I have been equally frustrated by springtime kelp monsters eating every precious mack and freight-training into the canopy. Now I'm more sure that they were sharks.

I was back out there this morning (Sunday) from 7 - 9 AM until the weather hit. Suddenly 20+ knots of wind arrived with quickly building windswell. Needless to say, no takers again for me.

Birds piles were very thick for acres just outside the kelpline with the approaching storm today. Lots of activity out there, not sure if any big fish were feeding though.

From my swell forecast charts, it really looks like LJ Shores will be a challenging launch (surf-wise)at least until next weekend ....
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
Billy V

Larry,

As you were peddling over to Jim and the Boys yesterday from the inside passage around 6:30 pm a huge shark breached 50 ft behind your yak.
You momentarily stopped and looked behind you, but the event was over.

I was in the right place, at the right time.
Billy V
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
blackcloud9
Kayaker

(Billy V) Nice to know that somebody's watching ..... (whoa, creeeeeepyyy!)

That was a shark? Scared the @$##@ outta me. I guessed that was a cute little seal like marking his territory or something. When I pedaled in after dark, there were still some big crashes happening on the inside there. Hmm.

I heard the loud whale spouts outside the kelp, and the shouting - one whale almost hit Josh on the way in I guess. Maybe its not as safe as we'd imagine for kayaks, out there, at night.

Keep lifejacket on, gear stowed, rods tethered!

Last edited by blackcloud9; 03-23-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
Dan

man that dude can catch fish. crazy!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud9 View Post
Nice meeting you out there Jim. I have been equally frustrated by springtime kelp monsters eating every precious mack and freight-training into the canopy. Now I'm more sure that they were sharks.....
Very good meeting you as well. It was interesting to hear your story and compare notes. I guess it's just a seasonal thing where they come through. I've never seen so many big sharks congregated in one area like that before local.

After you guys left I had a large Sevengill swim right up to the kayak in the dark. Later a whale came up and started beating it's tail on the surface of the water, just outside of me. I could not see it but it sounded huge.

So are you going to fish this week? Thursday looks the best wind wise but they are saying 4+ at the shores.

Jim
Old 03-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I hate night trips on a kayak. Especially alone. Nothing to do but think and over analyze everything. It doesn't help either that your hearing is amplified at night. Things that are farther out sound right next to you. Things that are right next to make you crap your pants. Spent four years in the Marine Corps, won't do 4 minutes on a kayak in the middle of the night.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
blackcloud9
Kayaker

"For reference the one he released was a third larger."

I call B.S. without pictures and video ......
Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
Geoffkoop

Another great story!
Damn Josh, another great fish.
You go me thinking...where the heck do you put all of your fish when you get home?
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
THE DARKHORSE

Dammit Jim...

I didn't have a problem with you posting a picture of my fish before you even sent me a copy , but you were supposed to keep the real White Seabass secret to yourself. Now that everyone can see the "liquid patience" in the cup holder the White Seabass population is doomed. Remember folks, all things in moderation, but enjoying a brew burried in ice while watching the sunset with friends will add a couple of years to your life. I like to bring just one, only to be drank as a celebratory cold one after I finish the job...if you really want that beer you will make it happen .
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #16
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I like to bring just one, only to be drank as a celebratory cold one after I finish the job...if you really want that beer you will make it happen .
I don't know if I can wait til the end of summer for a beer!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #17
bellcon

blackcloud9 said:
Quote:

bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #18
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud9 View Post
"For reference the one he released was a third larger."

Easy for you to say...