Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
FISHIONADO

Help Save Laguna

Laguna is a very special place to me and I want to save it for my children and their children. When I was a kid you could hike the coast and through the canyons that are now filled with homes. I would like my children to experience it the way I did. Therefore, I'd like to make all of Laguna a nature reserve and remove all the residents that have destroyed the habitat. Nature reserves work, there is no debate about that.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
bellcon

You got my vote
when do we start demolishing the custom homes?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
roadx

when i was a kid i used to walk the local canyons and mesa's of san diego.
i propose to restore san diego. we need to reverse this trend starting with the golden triangle area then move on to mira mesa, tierrasanta, university city, scripps ranch.
we can restore our little town.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
FISHIONADO

one more thing, here's a big "FUCK YOU" to all the people who sat on the sidelines during the MLPA process and did nothing. We could have used your help the last two years.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
mrJB

RE: Laguna

My $.02 - write the Laguna Beach City Council, Chamber of Commerce, beach businesses, etc. and tell them and the rest of the Blue Haired Old Snobs how you WON'T be frequenting their shops, restaurants, hotels, festivals, art fairs, etc.

While I think verbal support and attendance at MLPA meetings has been important, in the end it's money and/or lack thereof that will win out.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Jim Sammons LJKF

And you must prove that you were born in a Coastal city in California to be allowed to make comment on coastal concerns or for that matter to be allowed to stay here. IF you are not at least a second generation Californian GET OUT!!!
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
old_rookie

I should be safe from being kicked out living in Santee. No one really cares about that area anyway.

What really ticks me off is when we have rain, and then the beaches are closed, or there is an advisory to STAY OUT OF THE WATER - but, hey, that's OK for the fish to live in the urban run-off. And all that crap comes from everywhere, including Santee. I don't see anything restrictions on what is potentially part of run-off. No one really seems to care that all that crap goes to the ocean, consumed by fish - and we eat that fish - so we are ingesting the crap that runs-off. But as long as the view is OK, who gives a fock!!
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Laguna is a very special place to me and I want to save it for my children and their children. When I was a kid you could hike the coast and through the canyons that are now filled with homes. I would like my children to experience it the way I did. Therefore, I'd like to make all of Laguna a nature reserve and remove all the residents that have destroyed the habitat. Nature reserves work, there is no debate about that.
X2.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Gino

just hold a kayak fishing tournament at main beach is a good public place to do it. donate most the proceeds to the PSO. make some posters and big signs. will be fun
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Billy V

Quote:
one more thing, here's a big "FUCK YOU" to all the people who sat on the sidelines during the MLPA process and did nothing. We could have used your help the last two years.
In the near future we (kayak fisherman/spearo et.al) must plan several Fundraising Fishing Tournaments in order to assist the ongoing legal challenge against the MLPA.

One of those locations shall be Laguna Beach
-We will not be notifying them of the aforementioned action.
-We will not be purchasing any permits in advance.

We will just show up - in a loosely organized fashion to use our resource
to the fullest extent and continue to do so until we have had out fill.

Our presence is an atrocity to them - Let that be your motivation.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Dean Machine

Quote:

TRUE
Old 12-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Yep, we have a right to interact with the nature that should exist in a pristine Laguna wilderness (as those fuggers would put it).

I am up for any tournies located within the boundaries of the new MPAs. Especially LJ, Malibu, Laguna, and PV.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
StinkyMatt

I love the idea of a Laguna tounament. Even if we don't catch a single flippin fish. Our presence there would send a message to the enviro and the local businesses that we represent $$$. Sign me up!
Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Aw fellas, we can't have what is called a 'tournament' at Lag Beach, you know they have people watching these boards and if they got wind of that, it would be over before it even got started.

But we can use their resources, nothing wrong with having a little get together, do some fishing, BBQ'ing, I would love to "prepare" my fish at waters edge for the BBQ, and do exactly what the Lagheads want us to do - help feed the ocean...

I think a get together among friends and family is just what we need...

And just as it is ok for the BRTF, the SAT, Sutton and Bayless, nothing wrong with anonymous private donations to the cause, right?

Maybe throw out dates, like 12 or so of them, see what weekend works best for everyone, and pinpoint a date...via PM only...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #15
mrJB

Question "Get Together" in Laguna

What about Aliso Beach for a "get together"...? Seriously...

http://www.ocparks.com/alisobeach/de...w=Introduction

Close parking to the water's edge, right off PCH. There is a marine reserve area but it's supposed to be well defined by rock outcroppings.

The shore break can be wicked or non-existant, just depends. I'm sure that could be predicted a few days before...

Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
StinkyMatt

Someone please PM me when you in the know dudes decide. Pleeease!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I used to fish the Aliso Beach area a lot, but what I believe is part of the fallout of this MLPA process, there is now an ordinance against launching and retriving at Aliso. I normally have no issues in launching because it is early, and the gates are usually not even open yet but the last two times when I came back in, I was hassled by lifegaurds stating there is an ordinance against it. I just said "whatever" and went on my way. The change in attitude at the beach was coinsidental to the Survey we were asked to fill out long ago during the MLPA process where we were asked to list specific areas we launched and fished. I'm sure it could be challenged, because I think it is a County park and not City, but I could be wrong.

The launch there can bit dicey, but I usually drag my yak a couple hundred yards to the north where there is a half moon shaped reef, usually above water which give you a small protected area to launch, even in big surf.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Maybe throw out dates, like 12 or so of them, see what weekend works best for everyone, and pinpoint a date...via PM only...

I can think of 114 dates.

EVERY Saturday

EVERY Sunday
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #19
Law Hand

Quote:

Law Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #20
cabojohn
PROBATION

Gotta thank the Montage Resort for all the enforcement around Aliso. They need to protect the $$$/ tourist from the dangerous kayaks, fisherman & skimboarders.

...count me IN for any Laguna nature opps er paddle outs.

I'd be up for another Laguna Paddle~N~Fish OR a Money Between Friends. I would like to get a waters eye view of the future Laguna Nature Reserves on the hill.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote