Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
dbarnett66
Danodog

What kind of leashes do you prefer?

Do you prefer coil type or bungee type paddle leashes? Do any of you go out with out an emergency paddle? I plan to hit OEX on Saturday and by some supplies while they are 15% off.

I also decided on this paddle:
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ing-Ray/Detail

I know some of you advocate sending $$$$$ on the best paddle, but I was hoping to spread the money a little to get on the water faster.

Thanks in advance.

Danodog
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
jorluivil

Search for used first, if that road leads to a dead end visit OEX.

as far as leashes go here's what I have

Rod leash

Paddle Leash

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Drake

The coil ones are less likely to get tangled in your reels when you're fighting a fish or just simply retrieving an iron. They are easy to store and don't tangle as easy. I would certainly suggest those.

As far as the paddle goes, I would suggest getting the Manta Ray over the String ray.

It has a wider blade with more Surface area. It weighs almost exactly the same and the price point is the same.

The rule of thumb when choosing a paddle is you want to match the kayak in width.

"many recreational kayaks are so wide that they need a little extra "oomph" in the paddle to make them perform well—especially when accelerating from a dead stop. "
http://www.roguepaddler.com/choose2.htm

AB Sting Ray Specs
Blade Surface Area:
87 sq.in.
Paddle Weight:
28.75 oz

AB Manta Ray Specs

Blade Surface Area:
104 sq.in.
Paddle Weight
29.5 oz

If I remember, you got an X-Factor? 33inches is a nice WIDE boat. You will definitely notice a difference.

Good luck, see you out there.
Neill
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

i use coil leashed, sabiki proof

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

I get car cell phone chargers and cut them then put on some small carabiners on each end. i use zip ties to secure the carbiners to the wire. theres an innovations post on it that i cant seem to find right now. its wayy better then spending 20$ a leash. i bought a lot f 15 car chargers off ebay for 8$ and the carabiners were 50 cents each for me but usually their about 1-2 $ each.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
dbarnett66
Danodog

Awesome information!

This site is great. I assume that none of you have a back up or emergency paddle?
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

i don't, but one time my paddle broke and i had to paddle back about 2 miles with one paddle. PAIN IN THE BUTT

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

My paddle leash is an old dog leash, nothing fancy, but it works. I'm all about the DIY setups, but I have also learned that you can actually save money buying things that are already made.

Have fun at OEX shopping, there are some great items there I would love to buy.

As for a paddle don't break the bank on one, get something that is comfortable, and works for you. I paid $35 for the paddle I have off of Amazon and it works great. I do want to buy an AT paddle, but the one I have now will work until I can get the AT.

Have fun shopping.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnett66 View Post
This site is great. I assume that none of you have a back up or emergency paddle?
When I take out one of my paddle yaks, I always have a spare paddle stowed in the hatch. I had a paddle blade snap on me during a surf launch in the surf zone. I had to one blade canoe paddle past the breakers then pulled out my spare and was able to save the trip. Would have ruined by day especially after I drove 90 miles to where I wanted to fish.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
GregAndrew

Here is what I am using for rod leashes. Plastic coated steel cable. Stretches to about 6 feet, returns to original shape quickly and does not absorb water. Much stronger than phone cords.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote