Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Doldrums...

During my thirty-five short years on this planet I've learned to embrace 'em. Without doldrums, we wouldn't be able to really appreciate our true passions in life. Without the bad, the good wouldn't be nearly as sweet, right?

We're truly blessed in Southern California, though. Have you been paying attention to the weather the past three months? The pumping surf? All thing's considered, even for a grump liked me---it doesn't get much better. And I apologize in advance if you've been locked up in a cubicle this Winter (if you could call it that!). After the last two years of inclement weather patterns I was beginning to forget why we pay so much to live here. This Winter made me feel like a kid again. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard, either. The surf has been pumping for two months straight. The never-ending-sunshine has been relentless. The flag off the point has resembled a wet-sock on most days. The Whales have kept dark launches interesting to say the least, but, life's dangerous no matter how you choose to live it.

Not to mention, depending on who you talk to---the fish never left. The radio chatter has been kept to a minimum. For the most part the internet has been quiet as a Mouse, too. Boats and kayaks have been playing nice, working together on most bites that I was blessed to witness. I'm guessing a direct result of the, 'quiet as a mouse', anthem. Which, regardless of how you feel about the subject (pro-posting or not) is, no doubt, something we've all benefited from. And if you feel otherwise, please: go catch a monster, take a picture, write your own post and preach all you want. After all, it's a public forum; I'm in no way telling anyone how to live their life---so do as you wish! If you're somewhat optimistic and have a smidgin of imagination, though, it's easy to pretend like the good 'ol days never left.

Big a$$ fish and waves to match aside, the sunsets alone have been worth the price of Southern California living. I'm blessed. I realize that. Having an opportunity to watch a few hundred sunsets a year is part of my minuscule pay. They're called sun-dollars. And while they won't feed you when your old, they'll keep you young. Well, that's what I keep telling myself anyway. Watching that ball drop over the Pacific Ocean never gets old.

Some are more special than others. Like any fish report: always up to speculation, though. You might think this sunset kind of sucks. Maybe it's not your cup of tea. Notice the giant-barrel of gold in the sky, though? I was mind-surfing this thing until dark!

And since this is the fishing reports section---here's another dead fish. I'm not too sure how a dead fish is going to help you catch one, but take this photo for what it's worth. Whether it makes your coffee taste that much better, or set your alarm to chase a trophy of your own, is up to you. For me, it sums up the Winter that made me feel like a kid again. Solitude for the taking. Ridiculous weather that just won't quit. And enough swell to make the decision to fish or not, tough to say the least.

Any day above ground is a good one, but like that sunset above---some days are better than others.