Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Viper3173

First Yellowtail and First 20+# Fish

My 4th time out at La Jolla and got lucky! Launched around 5:45, just behind fishnfool. Bait was surprisingly easy to come by, I filled up with an assortment of 12 macs in about 10 mins.

I headed out to open water and threw a greenie out on a flyline and immediately got hit with back to back 5-6# bonito. Since I really wanted a Yellow before the bite is gone this season so I paddled a few hundred yards further, away from the bonito, dropped another mac back and 15 mins or so later, zzzzzzzzz!

The fight was on, and he was a brute. 4 nice long runs and ~10 mins later I landed this beauty. My first yellow and first fish over 20# ever, I am stoked.

It was only 7:55 when I landed it but I was spent and had to get home early so I headed in with my prize. Came in at 29# on my bathroom scale (not sure how accurate that is). If I wasn't hooked on yak fishing before, I definitely am now!

Attachment 13794
Attached Images

Last edited by Viper3173; 11-05-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Viper3173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Cbad Mike

Right on! Congratulations!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Nice catch!! You catch him on a spanish or greenie?
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
Deamon

Sweet! Seems easy sometimes and sometimes you'll think you're the worst fisherman in the world...nothing better than being towed around. Well earned. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Congrats!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
ashmoz

sweet fat jello! Congrats
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
crazywakeboarder

I think hooking that first yellow embeds a hook in us as well. Being hooked on kayak fishing. Glad you could share in the feeling!
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
LBKayakDude

Niice fish
LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
jorluivil

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z
WAYzTOzGOzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
Racksticker
Junior

Well done on the 1st YT!

It's encouraging to guys like me, who are really *greenies* in kayak fishing, to hear about other new guys being successful. This is my 1st year at it and I have only been out in the bay so far.

Good Job and keep at it!
Racksticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
Viper3173

Thanks everyone!

Cadillyak I caught him on a probably about 8" greenie on flyline about 100ft back.

Racksticker I'm glad I could encourage you, the guys on this forum are so helpful and informative it really makes the learning process extra fun.
Viper3173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
FISH11

Congratulations. Wow only the 4th time at La Jolla, now that's really good. I think I saw you comming in yesterday near the north corner of the kelp. I though you must have had an early launch and great luck to head back that early. Good for you, you missed the crazy 25+mph winds that kicked up after 11am. I didn't have the luck yesterday and called it a day after loosing all the bait to seals and fighting the wind chop. Left around 2pm but I had started late around 7:15 am. Tight Lines
Old 11-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
skrilla

4th times a charm.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
Dannynguyen

Congratulations

Congratulations
Dannynguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
min-va

Congrats!! Nice yellow!

I can see how excited you were, to a point that you needed to repeat your story in one post.. lol
Old 11-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
wrxkid
Junior

Great job man. I am definitely not giving up on LJ. looks like one must take their licks and keep on fishing there.
wrxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #18
captnblood34

Good going man
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #19
fishnfoool

congrats patrick. should of stuck with you instead of going out deep. I got picked up around 9, but mr. yellow did not want to stick around and play. Will be back at it on friday.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #20
lbsurf2ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper3173 View Post
My 4th time out at La Jolla and got lucky! Launched around 5:45, just behind fishnfool. Bait was surprisingly easy to come by, I filled up with an assortment of 12 macs in about 10 mins.

I headed out to open water and threw a greenie out on a flyline and immediately got hit with back to back 5-6# bonito. Since I really wanted a Yellow before the bite is gone this season so I paddled a few hundred yards further, away from the bonito, dropped another mac back and 15 mins or so later, zzzzzzzzz!

The fight was on, and he was a brute. 4 nice long runs and ~10 mins later I landed this beauty. My first yellow and first fish over 20# ever, I am stoked.

It was only 7:55 when I landed it but I was spent and had to get home early so I headed in with my prize. Came in at 29# on my bathroom scale (not sure how accurate that is). If I wasn't hooked on yak fishing before, I definitely am now!

Attachment 13794
Damn look at camel hump on that thing... Nice fish congrats