Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Dannowar

Offshore Kayaking manly man adventure thread

With this warm water the pelagics should be coming and (hopefully) staying in range of kayaking. I have tuna on the brain and would like to make some notches on my bucket list. Huge thanks to Mattrabasco for the inspiration, i figured we could make a separate thread since guys were already looking into some trips. So...........

Lets get some groups together for trip planning?

i wanted to head out wednesday but it looks like a small windswell in moving in from the north, that crossed with the long period south could make the paddle not so enjoyable.

Please...contribute to this thread with info, advice, suggestions, or questions. This could (no jinx) be an epic summer, and it might not happen for another 20 years, ya never know. Lets slay some fish!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
cell128
lizard king

Lizard king interested
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
[QUOTE=Dannowar;231140]With this warm water the pelagics should be coming and (hopefully) staying in range of kayaking. I have tuna on the brain and would like to make some notches on my bucket list. Huge thanks to Mattrabasco for the inspiration, i figured we could make a separate thread since guys were already looking into some trips. So...........

Lets get some groups together for trip planning?

i wanted to head out wednesday but it looks like a small windswell in moving in from the north, that crossed with the long period south could make the paddle not so enjoyable.

Please...contribute to this thread with info, advice, suggestions, or questions. This could (no jinx) be an epic summer, and it might not happen for another 20 years, ya never know. Lets slay some fish![/QUOT
================================================== ======================================

Danny you could be right, This could be the BEST summer of your LIFE!!!!!
But only if you get out there. Guys, do NOT let this be the summer that was, and the summer you MISSED!

Around the 1st of July some of us might post about our latest trip to Gonzaga
24-30 June. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
Fishin Phil

Another idea would be to find a private boater willing to participate. Daisy chain three or four yaks behind the boat. Everyone on the boat and get the yaks towed out to the fishing grounds. The boat leaves and then all of you only have to paddle back in.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Phil View Post
Another idea would be to find a private boater willing to participate. Daisy chain three or four yaks behind the boat. Everyone on the boat and get the yaks towed out to the fishing grounds. The boat leaves and then all of you only have to paddle back in.
That sounds like a good idea. I think a certain person with an outback just bought a boat.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
MattRabasco

You are welcome Dano! I was hesitant to post it, but I wanted to share and get some people motivated to go for it. The day I went, there were perfect conditions for doing it. Wind and Swell were virtually non existent. I would go again if the forecast was the same. I don't know if I would do it solo again though; too many what ifs by yourself. I am down for it if the conditions get right again. Keep us posted on who, and when and I will join the search! Boat support would be great, but to be honest I would be more into doing it unsupported, from the kayak, from the beach!

Matt
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Went out yesterday. So many boat bearings to keep track of in not what Id call good paddle conditions. One in particular was visible and bow-on for almost 20mi. I knew it was huge but I couldnt see a profile. Finally I looped back on my track and let it pass as it seemed to be on collision course for a long time.

209' yields to no yak.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Dannowar

I agree. 100 % manpower.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

considering Wednesday going long, traveling light. Swim baits and surface iron.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
MattRabasco

Going out mañana- Tues. If conditions permit I will go offshore. Blue Hobie. Will be at the launch around 5:30-5:45.

Matt
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Phil View Post
I'm surprised that no one has chimed in on your reply to say what a bad idea this is

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
easyday

I'm in....
Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
Apex

Keep us posted I've been itching at the idea ,,none of my paddle buddy's are crazy as me
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #14
SaltwaterSoul23
Junior

Let me know when yall are headed out boys! Fished offshore yesterday Headed out to the 267 then across to 14 mile came across a lot of Dolphins mixed in with tuna, must of had at least a 100 pounder jump almost right across our bow. The bait wasn't right so couldn't get them to stick. Hit up four parties closer to shore and none were holding ( must of been our lucky day). But they are out their you just have to get em. Tight lines B.R.
SaltwaterSoul23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #15
surfisher

Sounds interesting, didn't The Darkhorse do this a while back but instead went looking for paddies?
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #16
chuckt

How far out you guys are talking about going? To N9? or just heading west of LJ launch and keep searching for paddies?
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #17
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I'm surprised that no one has chimed in on your reply to say what a bad idea this is
about the make your own way back park or the tow part?
my buddy offered to tow my yak out the channel islands, is this a really bad idea?

not paddling back.

Aaron
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #18
yemff

Tempting. Been 4 miles or so out by myself, what's another couple miles. Could only do a weekend though.
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #19
Viper3173

I'm in Danny, I've been wanting to explore the deeper water just not solo. I'm free wednesday, or another day....lets catch some bluefin!
Viper3173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #20
danjor

I am planning to go out sunday, pending buying a VHF and getting my mirage drive rebuilt or buying a new one. Last trip out my drive got really hard to use and started squeeking, thinking my bushings are toast
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote