Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
driftwood

Bug time be careful...

Lobster season starts at midnight tomorrow. And every year people die for getting to close the waves. Be careful out there!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbSDMVfgn8
Old 09-30-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
ctfphoto

Every Year people DIE diving for lobster. It's just a bug.

That said Kayak Hooping seems easy.

Time for a mid day nap .......
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
tacmik

Hate going out opening weekend. Everybody and their brother is out there and most have been drinking while waiting for the season to start.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Yak Daddy
Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Hate going out opening weekend. Everybody and their brother is out there and most have been drinking while waiting for the season to start.
MB was packed. More than Ive ever seen. Some dipchit dove my hoop nets right in front of me. I was in the water diving too!
Yak Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
HELLSTER INC.

Hit the the oil islands long beach last night 4 keepers,tossed back at least 10 that should be legal next molt!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Wyota

quiet part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak Daddy View Post
MB was packed. More than Ive ever seen. Some dipchit dove my hoop nets right in front of me. I was in the water diving too!

I went out of dana point and it was empty except some idiots dropping hoops in the center of the channel instead of keeping to the sides. Went outside the bay on scuba and only start hooping after commercial guys clean out all the legals outside the bay

Got 3 keepers on scuba and whiffed in a few more. Good start to the season
Wyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
Chuck D

Went out opener knowing that I can't stand the crowds, but willing to deal. Went out early to claim my spot. Had to call the cops on a 30 foot boat, 8 dudes that were drinking, set on top of me, threatened to run me over, kick my ass and made multiple attempts to bully me on the water with his boat. Cops gave him a warning, over opening night. It always seems to be too much drama, this will be my last. Managed one bug before 10 other boats laid down on top of me, over it. Be safe out there...
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
Went out opener knowing that I can't stand the crowds, but willing to deal. Went out early to claim my spot. Had to call the cops on a 30 foot boat, 8 dudes that were drinking, set on top of me, threatened to run me over, kick my ass and made multiple attempts to bully me on the water with his boat. Cops gave him a warning, over opening night. It always seems to be too much drama, this will be my last. Managed one bug before 10 other boats laid down on top of me, over it. Be safe out there...
That's a bummer Chuck...It was Busy and Crowded in my neighborhood this weekend, If you were lucky enough to get something before the fleet dropped on top of you and or the divers rolled thru your gear, you were lucky! On another note DFG was busy busting guys up here, lots of tickets written.

Make sure you guys that are new to hooping, you have all of your paperwork in order! Make sure that you fill out your card before you leave the dock and make sure you finish filling it out before you get back to the dock! And watch out for hitchhikers!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #9
Yak Daddy
Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
Damn man! I would've done the same! Freakin morons out there... I went out off the point in LJ today. Came out with a keeper. Ever want to go freedive let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161003_181520.jpg (58.0 KB, 255 views)
Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #10
Phishphood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak Daddy View Post
Damn man! I would've done the same! Freakin morons out there... I went out off the point in LJ today. Came out with a keeper. Ever want to go freedive let me know.
Nice! You hit it during daylight hours?
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #11
Yak Daddy
Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood View Post
Nice! You hit it during daylight hours?
Yep. Was a bit choppy & surgy but vis was good. Tomorrow supposed to pick up a lil more, but Ill be out there again probably.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyota View Post
I went out of dana point and it was empty except some idiots dropping hoops in the center of the channel instead of keeping to the sides. Went outside the bay on scuba and only start hooping after commercial guys clean out all the legals outside the bay

Got 3 keepers on scuba and whiffed in a few more. Good start to the season

ALso at dana. Very quiet until 12 then the boaters showed. It was rough. seas rolling. surf banging. water had foam and was murky. Never caught so many eels in my life. nasty critters. 3 traps moved into the rocks, 1 stayed behind. First pull at 1225 yielded 2 bugs nada after that.

Fish and game checked in on me after "i almost died" retrieving a net in the rocks. He said he saw my heroic net rescue. He also asked for license and wanted to measure my bugs. He made me throw one back said it was "negligibly not legal". I shined the light between the carapace and gauge and there was no gap or vertical movement. He measured I measured, HIS CONTENTION was the gauge was sliding left to right and shouldn't do that.

Back to the ocean for the next guy's stoke. The Warden didn't give me a ticket. I wasn't quite sure what to make of this. I guess I'm lucky I didn't get shot. So all is good.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
Wyota

No ticket=good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
ALso at dana. Very quiet until 12 then the boaters showed. It was rough. seas rolling. surf banging. water had foam and was murky. Never caught so many eels in my life. nasty critters. 3 traps moved into the rocks, 1 stayed behind. First pull at 1225 yielded 2 bugs nada after that.

Fish and game checked in on me after "i almost died" retrieving a net in the rocks. He said he saw my heroic net rescue. He also asked for license and wanted to measure my bugs. He made me throw one back said it was "negligibly not legal". I shined the light between the carapace and gauge and there was no gap or vertical movement. He measured I measured, HIS CONTENTION was the gauge was sliding left to right and shouldn't do that.

Back to the ocean for the next guy's stoke. The Warden didn't give me a ticket. I wasn't quite sure what to make of this. I guess I'm lucky I didn't get shot. So all is good.

Awesome that you didn't get a ticket. Had a guy with us who has received tickets in the past for "clicker". Basically, the DFG guy would push down real hard on gauge, and if would then crack and squeeze over the carapace, even not moving at all, then it was "illegal" and he had to pay 500 bucks.
Wyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #14
Mahigeer

I have heard of using a file to make the gage slightly wider than manufacturer.

That way there is no question that the bug is legal.

If you notice the warden will use their own gauge to measure, and not yours.

Even though you bought the gauge pre-made, you are responsible for its accuracy.

Seems like a good warden.

Did you get his name.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #15
east county dirtbag

Looks like carrying a micrometer is a good way to protect oneself from government abuse. A ruler does not lie like a government official
east county dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

If your gauge hooks, throw it back. I promise you'll catch another one.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #17
Saba Slayer

Gauges

"If you notice the warden will use their own gauge to measure, and not yours.

Not always true...Here is a photo of a warden using my gauge to measure the evenings catch. Once he saw my gauge he didn’t hesitate to use it.

I have back-up gauges made by Promar in the event some one looses a gauge...but my primary measuring gauge is made by Top-Me in Maine...recently Lobster Port in Oceanside started selling their own knockoff of the Top-Me gauge and it's a really good product. It’s well made of a nice thick stainless stock and has a handle off to one side. I picked up one at my seminar that I did in their shop and I’ll be using it this season.

This is a very true statement and you should all be aware of this..."Even though you bought the gauge pre-made, you are responsible for its accuracy."

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #18
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Am I the only one that doesn't eat those trash eating water insects?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #19
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't eat those trash eating water insects?
my wife doesn't eat lobster or crab, it makes me sad that I have to eat everything myself
Old 10-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #20
HELLSTER INC.

I feel so sorry for you Harry, I'm just down the road in banning if you need some help eating it! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote