Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2017, 01:46 AM   #41
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Here are a couple excellent images of the SY border crossing and FMM info. Stole it from another forum and I wish I could give proper credit but thank you TMW from Baja Nomads.

This may help in getting your FMM.

Follow the red line to the area to park. Follow the blue line and go inside the bldg and walk to the area between buildings. The office is to your left. Fill out the paper work then go back inside the building to pay at the bank. There are two banks one on your left as you came into the building and one on your right as you went out near the FMM office. I'm not sure if you can pay at either as I've only used the one where you come in on the left. Anyway pay then go back to the office and get it stamped and signed.

Follow the yellow line to the toll road. Remember to stay right when you leave the entry gates.
FMM TJ.jpg

FMM TJ2.jpg
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #42
Baja_Traveler

You can also do the FMM after crossing the border. In the bottom picture, just under the Google Earth logo you can see some cars parked. Park over there and walk back to that same building. Of course, if you are just doing the several day tourist FMM, you do not need to pay...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #43
Druko

I won't be able to make the trip Bob. Probably see you in gonzaga over 4th of July weekend, weather permitting...
Old 06-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #44
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druko View Post
I won't be able to make the trip Bob. Probably see you in gonzaga over 4th of July weekend, weather permitting...
See you in Gonzaga then.

I leave in a couple of days, weather for San Quintin Halibut Tourney fooks like 80 daytime, 70 night and 10-15 mile winds. So all is good, sea food ordered for dinner on the 23rd. Buy your own drinks but dinner is on me. Tourney on the Saturday the 24th. Early Sunday mourning I travel thru l Rosario and Lago Chapalla, past Coco's corner to Rancho Grande then 10 miles north to paradise. I expect to arrive in our camp around noon.
Temps HIGH 90's days, 80 at night nd winds below 10mph all week???? At least that's how it appears to me where I looked.

So if YOU are coming for the 4th of July weekend be prepared with SMALL drinking water bottles. I have about 20 one gallon bottles of water on hand, and paper plates, paper towels and toilet paper. So please do not bring these items.

Paper bowls and plastic silverware appreciated. If you plan on using the Gregor skiff it burns about 3 gallons of gas a day and is only safe for two persons. The quad is full and so is the generator so we should be good there. Solar is almost dialed in so recharging your electronics should be fine. Sunglasses, sunscreen, long sleeve shirts, hat and put your game face on, as the fishing should be wide open.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #45
makobob
Baitless on Baja

I was just informed Kermit cannot come, so there is an other FREE room at the inn, so if you need a room please let me know or if you want to fish the tourney pay pal me your 25 dollar entry fee and the room is yours.

r.moore760@gmail.com

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 06-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #46
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Sunglasses, sunscreen, long sleeve shirts, hat and put your game face on, as the fishing should be wide open.
Still trying to figure out my game plan.. May end up going to Gonzaga a few days with you of course will keep you posted.

Stoked for this!!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #47
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
Still trying to figure out my game plan.. May end up going to Gonzaga a few days with you of course will keep you posted.

Stoked for this!!
No problem Stevie, make it if you can amigo, Tight Lines. Gonna be fun both at San Quintin and Gonzaga. Don't miss the seafood dinner, Live Fresh Oysters, Fish, Clams and whatever else we can scrounge up. REPORTS of Halibut in the BAY. Don't forget your gulp and jigheads 1/2 thru 1 oz. My personal favorite is a 3/4 or 1 oz diamond jig with a swimtail. Double whammy!!!!! Might be nice if we can to drop off some fresh halibut to CoCo on our way back to paradise.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 AM   #48
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
No problem Stevie, make it if you can amigo, Tight Lines. Gonna be fun both at San Quintin and Gonzaga. Don't miss the seafood dinner, Live Fresh Oysters, Fish, Clams and whatever else we can scrounge up. REPORTS of Halibut in the BAY. Don't forget your gulp and jigheads 1/2 thru 1 oz. My personal favorite is a 3/4 or 1 oz diamond jig with a swimtail. Double whammy!!!!! Might be nice if we can to drop off some fresh halibut to CoCo on our way back to paradise.
All good advice Roberto. I will say that Coco does not eat fish but any extra Fruits, vegies or huevos are always appreciated.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 06-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #49
chris138
donkey roper

Reports of Halibut in the Bay!!?! We are pumped for the trip! I've never fished the bay there, so we really appreciate the tips you guys are giving. Is El Soccorro too far to fish for the tournament? Also, what time do you anticipate the weigh in will be, or does it go all day?

Bob I'll send you your money on pay pal this week before we leave for SQ on Friday morning!!

Stoked... anybody have any pics from previous SQ hali tourney?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #50
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Reports of Halibut in the Bay!!?! We are pumped for the trip! I've never fished the bay there, so we really appreciate the tips you guys are giving. Is El Soccorro too far to fish for the tournament? Also, what time do you anticipate the weigh in will be, or does it go all day?

Bob I'll send you your money on pay pal this week before we leave for SQ on Friday morning!!

Easy part first, FINAL weigh in will be at Don Eddies NOT later then 6pm. Is Soccorro too far, to paddle yes but you might drive and do a surf launch but that can be iffy. Guys usually drive to the light house by El Cielito Lindo Hotel and launch in the bay. Ask around at the dinner the night before the tourney some of the guys share info, but not secrets. See you there.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #51
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Easy part first, FINAL weigh in will be at Don Eddies NOT later then 6pm. Is Soccorro too far, to paddle yes but you might drive and do a surf launch but that can be iffy. Guys usually drive to the light house by El Cielito Lindo Hotel and launch in the bay. Ask around at the dinner the night before the tourney some of the guys share info, but not secrets. See you there.
Awesome thanks for the info Bob! And also thanks for organizing another great Baja event.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #52
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I arrived in SQ just after noon today and plan to fish for the rest of the week. Dead calm when I got here but a little breeze later in the afternoon. I'll post up a report tomorrow but I will be looking at some new areas so I may not have much exciting news,
— Herman Melville

Old 06-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #53
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I arrived in SQ just after noon today and plan to fish for the rest of the week. Dead calm when I got here but a little breeze later in the afternoon. I'll post up a report tomorrow but I will be looking at some new areas so I may not have much exciting news,
I think you might try to get into the deeper water. If I remember right EVEYONE bunched up shallow, Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 06-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #54
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
RayRay snaffled my swimbait. One of the skiffs stopped on the way out the bay to watch and took some pix.

El camping @ El Faro.

Beach chickens.

Rossman *Prefish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_1190942424289384.jpg (25.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20160608_194034.jpg (61.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20160609_183859.jpg (195.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20160610_071117sm.jpg (139.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #55
MrPukaShell

Awesome. Good luck guys
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #56
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Got on the water about a half hour before sunrise this morning. Cool wind from the north and strong enough to produce whitecaps in the bay. Pretty uncomfortable for the first hour and then it totally glassed off. I was expecting warmer water temps (57) and warmer air temps (61) so I did not bring my waders with me. Got a little chilly in my shorts. The water was green and just a bit of red tide action. The floating eel grass and ribbon grass was not nearly as bad as my previous trips here. Worked some areas that I hadn't fished before and managed 3 butts. They all came at the peak of high tide. I suspect I'll need something bigger than this for a shot at the money on Saturday but at least I have some meat for the cooler. Off the water by 10:30. I have a couple photos but for some reason BWE is not allowing them. First time I've had that problem. Both phone and computer
— Herman Melville

Old 06-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #57
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Got on the water about a half hour before sunrise this morning. Cool wind from the north and strong enough to produce whitecaps in the bay. Pretty uncomfortable for the first hour and then it totally glassed off. I was expecting warmer water temps (57) and warmer air temps (61) so I did not bring my waders with me. Got a little chilly in my shorts. The water was green and just a bit of red tide action. The floating eel grass and ribbon grass was not nearly as bad as my previous trips here. Worked some areas that I hadn't fished before and managed 3 butts. They all came at the peak of high tide. I suspect I'll need something bigger than this for a shot at the money on Saturday but at least I have some meat for the cooler. Off the water by 10:30. I have a couple photos but for some reason BWE is not allowing them. First time I've had that problem. Both phone and computer
Thanks Rossman!! See you in a couple days!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #58
FullFlavorPike

Youse guys have fun down there! It's gonna be cool!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:46 AM   #59
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

A disappointing morning so far. I headed out to my kayak launch spot at el faro and it seems that the combination of high tides and high surf made the 4 miles of dirt and sand out to the point impassable. At least for me. Lots of mud and standing water. I followed a local towing a panga for a while but he came to an area that even he with his high clearance 4WD was hesitant about. He did continue on but I chose to abort. I might head up to Socorro or Tranquillo and look at conditions there but I'm afraid the surf is going to keep me on the beach today. Hope the beach road improves before Saturday or I will have to go to plan B, and I don't have a plan B.
— Herman Melville

Old 06-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #60
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Hope the beach road improves before Saturday or I will have to go to plan B, and I don't have a plan B.
Oh crap - well that puts a kink in my plans as well. I was thinking of sleeping out there to get an early morning start, and I don't have a plan B either.
When you get to the end of the road and take a left to the campground, Google Earth does show a road splitting off to the right that leads out to a point in the bay. May have to slog the kayak over some marsh though, but it would cut the paddle distance down tremendously over launching at the Mill.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote