Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Uhh...one more late report from AK - pic heavy

Well grey zone and the rest of ya make the mistake of being nice. We all are kayak anglers right? That means we all have a little narcissist in us too right?

So as I looked at the post count...as narcissistic anglers often do, I thought "Hmmm...seems low." I realize I hadn't posted an update on the Winter Homer King Derby held March 21. So uhh...a little more Alaska scenery to convince some of ya that are talking about road trips and cabins to get up here pretty much any time of year. Besides, with my GF taking pictures with a DSLR, these pics are much better. I am working with a place that rents pro anglers and outbacks and there are a few extra kayaks laying around up here. So C'mon up. In the words of my favorite mentor... "Try not! Do or Do not. There is no try."

So without further adieu...I sure hope I haven't posted this yet. lol.

Reprinted from my blogs with a few edits.

The 22nd annual Homer Winter King Derby was held this weekend. $100 per entry. This was my third year entering. The previous two years I have been blanked. The weather and fish certainly cooperated for the derby. Records were shattered in number of anglers, boats, and fish caught. The total ended up being 1,324 anglers, on 386 boats (7 kayaks) with 590 fish caught! That fish per angler was 0.45 fish per angler.

There were 3 Hobie Outbacks, two Pro Anglers, one wilderness System kayak, and a Native Propel. Two kayakers including myself entered fish. Of the seven, 5 were from "TEAM NWKA". A huge shout out and thanks to those who entered! AKRod, EricBlim, Michilutiiq, and Uuqutiiq!!!!!!!!

I only got to speak to Travis on the Wilderness System. A third kayaker, Derrick (sp?) lost a fish which was unfortunate because had he landed the fish instead of being 0.29 fish per kayak angler it would have been 0.43 which would have been virtually identical to the power boats! Now THAT is pretty cool! Especially when you consider the area we fished is NOT consider a hotspot by any means and most boats traveled at least ten miles one way to get to their spots. My 16.2 lbs fish was the first ever entry and winner in the kayak division in this derby.

I pre-fished the derby on Friday with AKRod and EricBlim from the NWKA forums. I managed a fish in the first 5 minutes of fishing but didn’t get another strike the rest of the day. I caught it on a chrome Silver Horde Coho Killer spoon behind a red/chrome Fish Flash flasher and 12oz of weght.

On derby day, I had a solid strike early but when I reeled up, 40lbs fluorocarbon had been cleanly cut off just above the spoon. I switched to herring and nothing. Switched back to a Black and White coho killer spoon and within 2 minutes had my fish on! I am starting to think the action of the spoon trumps the fishiness of herring. More reaction strike than an "eating" strike…maybe?

A strange mix of weather. Cold and breezy in the morning. Blazing sun and heat during lunch, then a few more sprinkles. But you couldn’t ask for a better time!

To add a little more kayaking flair to my story, I head out Sunday on a powerboat with friends who had gotten skunked during the derby. Four rods for 6 hours and zero strikes. Maybe my kayak really is more optimal in catching fish! Lol.

Great times, slow fishing. But who can complain!!! Thanks to the Homer Chamber and the entire community for holding this great event! We willdefinitely be back!!!!

So a fairly unedited video. My Friday and Sat fish. Double my normal length at 5 minutes, but pretty amazing considering I hit the button pretty much as soon as I get the rod in hand and get the fish initially under control...about 10 seconds after the strike. It sure feels like an eternity when you are fighting a good fish, but to be able to land two kings in under 5 minutes sure seems like a lot faster than when we are on a boat. I know its different in rivers but we've battled big kings for nearly an hour.

It's definitely one of the things I like best about kayak fishing and one of the things I like the least. What I like is I swear my hookup to landed ratio is off the charts compared to fishing from shore or a big boat. I attribute that to the fact that kayak acts as another shock absorber. Instead of the fish just running for a hundred yards, the kayak slowly gets towed and it slows the fish down sooner. So the thing I hate most is the same concept. I don't think the battles off a kayak are anywhere near as exciting as from the shore or the boat. I learned in my ultralight fishing days, the fish seemed to battle proportionately as hard as you pulled. Yah, length of fight may differ, but the "berserkness" factor is much lower from a kayak in my opinion.

oh yeah, the video...sorry.

https://youtu.be/a2i0Mr1DEHI

A few..uh, bunch of pics. All the good ones courtesy of Michelle.

And finally my favorite pic with my daughter Sakurako!

Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Raskal311

Awesome!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Doing it up right. Congrats on the fish!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
FISH11

Great story and super pictures. Beautiful scenery, but man it looks cold.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #5
ericko

Very cool
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #6
CardShark

Nice report and great pictures
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:09 AM   #7
corpsmanusn2001

Cool pics!
corpsmanusn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
Nice report and great pictures
X2
What's the name of the resort you work at ? Haven't heard of any resorts or a Fish Camps/Lodges that have Kayaks .
The chance/thought of catching a 'Butt over 100#'s sounds intriguing.
Also couldn't help but notice the large nets you guys carry. Down here CA regs. specify 20", yours easily look considerably larger or is it just me?
Thanks for posting.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #9
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Thank you for taking the time, and posting such good motivational fishing memories.

loved the pictures!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #10
taggermike

Looks like a fun day day. Great photos and fish too. I'd sure like to get to AK. But living 10 minutes from the boarder makes hard to leave Baja. Flyfisjonyakr, its not legal to gaff salmon and since kings can get over 40lbs the guys use those huge nets. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
grey zone

When good weather and fishing come together it doesn't get better than that except for a great family photo. We have had a very mild winter in southern CA and I get the impression that south central AK has been in a similar weather pattern.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
blitzburgh

Friggin rad!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
X2

What's the name of the resort you work at ? Haven't heard of any resorts or a Fish Camps/Lodges that have Kayaks .

The chance/thought of catching a 'Butt over 100#'s sounds intriguing.

Also couldn't help but notice the large nets you guys carry. Down here CA regs. specify 20", yours easily look considerably larger or is it just me?

Thanks for posting.

FFY

I don't work at a resort. Just a fisher with no other life outside of work and family. There are very few places that are equipped for kayak anglers. I am trying to write a piece for a national magazine but short of hailing your own kayaks up, it's nearly impossible.

Just recently ak raft and kayak became the sole hobie dealer and they will have outbacks and pro anglers for rent as well as inflatable Aire kayaks.

So far I know of three 100+ pound halibut firm kayaks in this area. Southeast has a few too I think. I managed mine out of Kodiak last August.

As far as the net...that's my small net. I need to increase size as per the suggestions in my snowy day King thread. It's like goldilocks. Current net too small. Back up net too big. Need one that is just right!!!

I know I'm chomping at the bit to try some warmer water fishing. I have to believe the Warmer water guys think AK might be something different. Cmon up! We will get Ya set up with the right stuff!!!!!! Many of my best life long friends I have met through fishing. I don't see why that's going to change anytime soon!!!!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
My personal pages...I'm not a guide.
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #14
Fishin Phil

Nice fish, excellent pictures, and definitely daddy's girl. You sir are truly blessed!
Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
fishja

Looks like a blast! Nice fish too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #16
ashmoz

my friggin god this is great.
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #17
chancy94

So sick!!! Definitely jealous and added fishing up there on my bucket list