Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
goldenglory18

Anyone using the Raymarine Dragonfly 7?

Is anyone on here using the Raymarine 7" Dragonfly?

I just looked up the specs and that unit is 8x8" square. That seems like a huge obstacle to fish around, especially after mounting it on a RAM arm or off a YakAttack CellBlok. I can envision line getting wrapped around that thing and rods easily hitting it throughout the day.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with this unit and if so, do you feel that the screen was almost too big for a yak?

Thanks!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Hunters Pa

What kayak are you in? too big for a scrambler, would work in a PA.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

I fished dragonfly 7 for about a year on my Kraken. Its not too big, and easy to fish around, assuming you set it up in an ergonomic spot. I now fish a 7" lowrance, and I can tell you I won't ever fish a smaller screen again. Not that a 4" unit won't work fine... I had an elite 4x for years.

But the extra screen size does more than just look cool. It drastically increases the data you get from it. Think about it... a 200 kHz signal has so many oscillations per second (200,000 I believe). For that finite number of cycles to be graphically represented, it must be converted into pixels. The more pixels you have, the more information is displayed on the screen. Actually it's more correct to say that less information is left out of the return. Just like how you can't view a 12mp photo on an old motorola flip phone. The hardware can't handle the information being thrown at it. So you see, the bigger screen actually adds more detail and more accuracy, not just a bigger picture.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I fished dragonfly 7 for about a year on my Kraken. Its not too big, and easy to fish around, assuming you set it up in an ergonomic spot. I now fish a 7" lowrance, and I can tell you I won't ever fish a smaller screen again. Not that a 4" unit won't work fine... I had an elite 4x for years.

But the extra screen size does more than just look cool. It drastically increases the data you get from it. Think about it... a 200 kHz signal has so many oscillations per second (200,000 I believe). For that finite number of cycles to be graphically represented, it must be converted into pixels. The more pixels you have, the more information is displayed on the screen. Actually it's more correct to say that less information is left out of the return. Just like how you can't view a 12mp photo on an old motorola flip phone. The hardware can't handle the information being thrown at it. So you see, the bigger screen actually adds more detail and more accuracy, not just a bigger picture.
Damn it. So you're saying I have to buy a new toy now? Guess I won't be going out to eat this month.