Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
DanaPT

Oil spill

So unfortunately oil spill closures are down as far as san clemente, with these postings.

Read dept fish and wildlife/game has closed lobster fishing. DP Harbor has the emergency oil floats on north and south ends of harbor, so very little boat traffic.

No signs of oil yet.

So for my SD friends, you may have more company as peeps race the closures (presumed to be headed your way too)
Attached Images

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
CrazzyGar

My buddy just hooped DP last night with out any issues of closure or no issues of Oil. Let’s hope the oil stays away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:37 AM   #3
DanaPT

So harbor was closed, weds.

CF&G web still has fishing closed FWIW. I thought about beach launching outside harbor ....

https://wildlife.ca.gov/News/souther...e-to-oil-spill

Hopefully everyone else is having a great bug season.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
Caseym

Oily Air Show

Took our 18' Stringari outta Newport on Sat to watch the jets. My 2 sons and I were having the time of our lives. The smell began to build during the final show w the Blue Angels. I honestly thought it was exhaust there was so much haze in the air from all the trails. Suddenly looked off the very rocky bow and saw this gigantic floating ball of crude about to consume us. It wrapped the anchor line for about 8'...imagine all the up and down with 1,000 boats firing up and motoring around. Then it splashed up and began sticking to our hull. We watched numerous guys haul oily lines and anchors onto their beautiful decks. After one idiotic attempt I realized my 13 year old had the right idea. We made the unfortunate decision to cut the line and anchor to save the boat. We motored back to Newport where we eventually trailered the boat and I finally got my first glimpse at just how bad it was. The entire length of the hull on the lower 1/4 was wrapped in tarry ooze. We towed her home and at o dark thirty the next day I began cleaning the hull with Gasoline and rags. The sun heated everything up (94 degrees in Temecula that day...naturally) and it began dripping all over my trailer. What a nightmare, By Day2 I had all the oil/tar off and had buffed and waxed the hull back to it's previous self. This had to be one of the most bizarre episodes of a day on the water ever and had me almost wondering "Why in the hell do I do this?" Here's to hoping it never reaches you guys down in Dana and South. I'll drop some pics in a bit.
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
Salty

So I've been trying to keep track of the local fishery closure due to the oil spill to find dates or estimates for when it might be reopened. While information is sometimes scattered, it seems the CDFW's Twitter page has the most accessible information:
https://twitter.com/californiadfw?lang=en

Also, the CDFW has a dedicated Spill Response twitter account as well:
https://twitter.com/CalSpillWatch

Here's the map of the currently closed fishery(last amendment on 10-7-21):
https://socalspillresponse-com-jtti....2_10.07.21.pdf

This is the latest update I could find from the CDFW:
"Fisheries Closure Update: Onshore seafood sampling underway & offshore testing to start within 2 weeks. Data will be used to evaluate seafood safety for fisheries in areas affected by the spill. The CDFW director will reopen upon recommendation by @OEHHA"

For info the Seafood Sampling process, here's the link they shared:
https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads...acts031115.pdf

Unfortunately, the only bit of info pertaining to a timeline for reopening our fishery is this sentence: "Because PAH levels in mollusks may not reach their highest level for some weeks after a spill, testing is usually repeated until it is clear that PAH levels are stable or declining. When PAH levels are below the “level of concern” and no longer increasing, then OEHHA will recommend that a fishery be re-opened."

This "Some weeks" timeframe would explain why they are just starting the testing process "within 2 weeks" of the 10/16. They're not clear on exactly when the sampling and testing would begin or how long it might take. Someone asked for an ETA on the reopening on the Twitter post on 10/18 and that post is still unanswered as of today.

I'm no expert in oil-spill seafood sampling/testing nor am I an expert in government processes. I just wanted to share the info I had found regarding this issue. If anyone with any additional knowledge has any insights or nuggets of information to share, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to hear them. Like all of us, I just want to know when I can get back out there to wet some lines or drop some hoops.
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Wow, that is a huge chunk of the ocean they closed down. Seems disproportionate to the Sth of the incident? Can't close the port areas?... too much at stake there? I hope the bureaucracy works fast on this one.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:18 PM   #7
jruiz
Large Member

I'm here camping at San elijo for the weekend and finding tar along the beach. We had 6ft high tide that receded to a 0ft low and it left tar right where the bluff met the sand
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #8
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I'm here camping at San elijo for the weekend and finding tar along the beach. We had 6ft high tide that receded to a 0ft low and it left tar right where the bluff met the sand
Looks like it's on the move to the South... I surfed Oceanside today and there were clean up crews sifting through the sand on the beach. Didn't see anything myself, but they are definitely looking.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:56 PM   #9
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Wow, that is a huge chunk of the ocean they closed down. Seems disproportionate to the Sth of the incident? Can't close the port areas?... too much at stake there? I hope the bureaucracy works fast on this one.
Ports/harbors were all closed to all marine traffic for several days after the incident. Beaches were closed for all activates. That has since been lifted in most areas, but the fishery closures are still in effect "for some time"(whatever that means...). I understand the reasoning behind the closure, but that doesn't make it suck any less!
Old 10-24-2021, 04:15 AM   #10
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Ports/harbors were all closed to all marine traffic for several days after the incident.
I think what you meant to say is closed to recreational activities. A fleet of vessels is normally deployed to clean up the mess. I would be very surprised if they stopped the business of the ports. The whole thing sucks. let's hope they can get it back to normal quickly.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:15 PM   #11
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I think what you meant to say is closed to recreational activities. A fleet of vessels is normally deployed to clean up the mess. I would be very surprised if they stopped the business of the ports. The whole thing sucks. let's hope they can get it back to normal quickly.
Sort of. I believe it was more like essential traffic only. Newport and Dana Point harbors both had their entire entrances sealed with pollution prevention floats/booms for several days following the spill(see pic). Assuming they would only move those out of the way for a select few vessels. I don't know if Long Beach was closed at any point though. And you are also correct that there were cleanup vessels deployed! The California Responder spill response vessel was spotted working the coastline for quite some time.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Sort of. I believe it was more like essential traffic only. Newport and Dana Point harbors both had their entire entrances sealed with pollution prevention floats/booms for several days following the spill(see pic). Assuming they would only move those out of the way for a select few vessels. I don't know if Long Beach was closed at any point though. And you are also correct that there were cleanup vessels deployed! The California Responder spill response vessel was spotted working the coastline for quite some time.

Good to know. MSRC has vessels are on standby around the united states for clean-up activities. A result of the Exxon Valdez incident. I am surprised the Pacific Responder was not sent down from SF to help? A recent Satelite photo indicates they have a good amount to go.