Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2021, 10:20 AM   #1
jlabs63
Member
 
jlabs63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SD - Carmel Valley
Posts: 78
Advice - San Diego Bay Fishing for Kids

Hey guys, i have 3 daughters (5-9) that i need to get into fishing. I have access to a boat out of Harbor Island and looking for some general advice regarding locations, bait and tackle. It would be great to get them hooked up with some bass (just something other than greenbacks).

I have some spinning rods with Carolina rigs and some small Hookup Baits on 10 lb flouro.
- Hook size
- Bait (ghost shrimp, shrimp? No squid, right?)

To be clear, i am not looking for numbers to anybody's honeyhole. Ive never fished SD Bay, so just some general (or detailed, if you want) advice on where to go.
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Mahigeer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Hey guys, i have 3 daughters (5-9) that i need to get into fishing. I have access to a boat out of Harbor Island and looking for some general advice regarding locations, bait and tackle. It would be great to get them hooked up with some bass (just something other than greenbacks).

I have some spinning rods with Carolina rigs and some small Hookup Baits on 10 lb flouro.
- Hook size
- Bait (ghost shrimp, shrimp? No squid, right?)

To be clear, i am not looking for numbers to anybody's honeyhole. Ive never fished SD Bay, so just some general (or detailed, if you want) advice on where to go.
Shelter island is a good place for newbies and kids.

A dropper loop rig with one or two hooks is better for kids.

Ghost shrimp is a great bait. Fillet mackerel for more mackerel is great.

#8 baitholder hooks are a good size for pier.

There are other piers in San Diego too. Check pierfishing.com website.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 09-21-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
PapaDave
Senior Member
 
PapaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 1,286
I usually drift with the tide using plastics and weedless jig heads along the bottom. Drift down the rows of boats in any of the harbors, the main channel gets a little rough with the boat traffic on busy days.
__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish...
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
jruiz
Large Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: La Verne, CA
Posts: 958
When i was growing up, I was perfectly happy to catch macs. Cut those sabikis in half and put one on each rod. 1 hour drifting for nothing and you'll quickly have a boat full of kids that have had enough and want to go home and would likely not want to go out again.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:08 AM   #5
Mahigeer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
When i was growing up, I was perfectly happy to catch macs. Cut those sabikis in half and put one on each rod. 1 hour drifting for nothing and you'll quickly have a boat full of kids that have had enough and want to go home and would likely not want to go out again.


Plus one.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #6
jlabs63
Member
 
jlabs63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SD - Carmel Valley
Posts: 78
Thank you fellas. Greenbacks would be just fine, but wouldnt mind introducing them to some other species. I found this article, which is pretty helpful:

https://sdfish.com/forums/t/fishing-...go-bay.163428/

My plan is to get plenty of shrimp / squid (enough for chum) and ghost shrimp if I can find them. Tie on a few sabiki rigs tipped with bait for the kids while is fish plastics / hookup baits for bass.

Probably hit around Shelter and Harbor Islands; maybe the bait barge.
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:49 AM   #7
Mahigeer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Tie on a few sabiki rigs tipped with bait for the kids while is fish plastics / hookup baits for bass.

IMHO, using bait on Sabiki during day lights is unnecessary. It does not harm, but not needed. It would be cheaper to tie a bunch of hooks and then put bait on them.
The cost of Sabiki rigs is for the feathers, beads, etc. It is so the hook looks like a shrimp or kirll.

At night bait as scent is ok on Sabiki, then again, why not tie bare hook with bait.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.