Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
buddha

Ok if you are interested in the trip I have UPDATED information.

We are filled for the San Rogue House.
If you want to camp next to the house it is 5 dollars/night.

I have been chatting with Makobob and we are planning a trip down to Bahia Asuncion. There are several accomodations from tent camping to RV to renting out a house and all are reasonable.

http://bahiaasuncion.com/php/index.p...d=14&Itemid=28

http://bahiaasuncionmexico.wordpress.com/

Fishing is great all year long here and is good everywhere also.

Surf fishing is very good and a lot of halibut.

Kayak fishing is very good.

Panga fishing is great.

October to December is the peak season and they get busy but january the fishing is just about peak.

There are other houses that are very reasonable that have power and water and are more comfortable if you want to rent those. Post in the thread if you want to do this and hopefully there will be enough people to fill another place, actually only need 2 or 4 people for some of the other places.

Talking to the owner she said the calicos there are really huge and abundant.

Last year at this time it was the best for yellowtail.

Halibut in the surf is very good also.

Pangas to rent for the day for 2 people are 175/day a good deal.

The paddle from the house which is right on the beach is only 1-2 miles to the fishing grounds.

Come join us.

Baja or bust!

I think this could be an amazing trip and one that we might do a few times a year.

So far Buddha, Makobob, Svendawg, Rossman, Dbrogdon5, and Shawn are in for this trip.

Last edited by buddha; 09-27-2013 at 06:17 PM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #22
buddha

Ok we have the house filled with 4 people.

If you would like to camp in a tent next to the house it will be 5 dollars/night.

There are other houses that are very reasonable to rent also.

Talking to the owner she said the calicos there are really huge and abundant.

Last year at this time it was the best for yellowtail.

Halibut in the surf is very good also.

Pangas to rent for the day for 2 people are 175/day a good deal.

The paddle from the house which is right on the beach is only 1-2 miles to the fishing grounds.

Come join us.

Baja or bust!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
dbrogdon5

so, what is the exact mileage to Bahia from San Diego? for some reason my GPS services are not working so well. I will be coming down from yucaipa which is about 120 miles from San Diego
dbrogdon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
taggermike

If the road in is paved all the way my little ford focus would make it but if owners of more Baja worthy vehicles would be willing to car pool at full occupancy the trip would be safer and more economical for all. A good trailer that could take many kayaks, coolers, and other bulky but light items would be a very helpful as well. A caravan is always a good way to travel in Baja. Just some thoughts. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Mo Betta

I usually just come on here to check conditions on the WebCam when Im thinking about taking the 14' Klamath out. I saw the Baja post and decided to chime in about BA.

Its an incredible place, old Baja for sure. Shari is a great host and the whole town is friendly. Make sure you eat at Juanitas, its like eating at grandmas house.

I only get to travel to Baja during the summer when the days are longer. I dont think you can make it down in 1 shot without driving at night. Guerro Negro has Hotel Cowboy, left side of the street as you enter town. Catavina has a hotel on the right headed south, its really nice.

We have a video from our summer trip. In the video is Sharis place with the rock rooms then it goes onto San Roque. San Roque is very small and its a definte must see. The Kelp beds out that area are pristine. I didnt get to wet a line, but I will be back very soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--thJ...Rh9y9ZwodQgaWg

Frank
Mo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
dbrogdon5

Taggermike,
If I end up going on this trip I have a trailer that I put my PA on and can hold two other smaller kayaks (12 OK etc..) and I can throw another on top of my vehicle. I will let you know if I make the trip for sure.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
And I just put a THULE xsporter on my silverado, so I can take an extra yak too.

Shari said mileage from US border is right at 560 miles, or about 13 hours, roads seem in fair shape all the way to Asuncion. I would suggest a night stop somewhere on the way, Baja can be bad to drive at night.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 09-27-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: update
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
makobob
Baitless on Baja

The San Roque Rustic House is full. Buddha, Makobob, Rossman and Svendawg. Plenty of room for tents, if you look at pictures of house there are miles of beach to camp on. House should provide some wind protection. Also appears to have covered porch, patio. More houses in town, but that is miles away. We are on the water, with Isla San Roque 2 miles away!!! Don't forget New Years in town! We will have small generator for recharging our electronics.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #29
buddha

Ok so far we have 6 guys confirmed for the trip.

Buddha, Makobob, Rossman, Svendawg, dbrogdon5 and friend Shawn.

Talking to the owner she said that the best place and easiest to get tourist visas is just past the border. 25 bucks for 6 month visa.

We have tent camping available for 5 dollars a night.

If you want other accommodations there are other options.

If you want to rent a house I would think about doing it soon as Oct-December are the busy months to make sure you can get a spot.

The owner's sister in law also does lobster meals and can deliver it to wherever you are staying.

I think we may take her up on this!

Yellowtail, calicos, halibut fishing all great at this time of year!

Ex rap rapalas in white and root beer color, plastics and irons are what you need. Surf fishing carolina rig and then scoop up sand crabs for bait.

Should be a great trip!

Baja or bust!

Last edited by buddha; 09-26-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #30
buddha

yellowtail in January

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yh0T...RE5nAp5CwflRZg
Old 09-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
dbrogdon5

Its gunna be sweet!! So its official, my friend and I will be heading down to meet you gentleman in bahia asuncion. We will not be able to head down on the 28th so we will be heading out that way on Jan 1st and returning on the 6th. Still enough time to get some good fishing in. This will be the first time for both my friend and myself so we will be looking to you guys for the expert advise and help!

Makobob and Buddah, thank you for the opportunity and I am looking forward to getting out there with you guys!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #32
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrogdon5 View Post
Its gunna be sweet!! So its official, my friend and I will be heading down to meet you gentleman in bahia asuncion. We will not be able to head down on the 28th so we will be heading out that way on Jan 1st and returning on the 6th. Still enough time to get some good fishing in. This will be the first time for both my friend and myself so we will be looking to you guys for the expert advise and help!

Makobob and Buddah, thank you for the opportunity and I am looking forward to getting out there with you guys!
Great glad to have you come along. Remember you have to get a tourist visa.

We are going to share in the expenses for groceries for breakfast: eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast, pancakes, cereal, etc.

We will get sandwich stuff to bring along for the day.

Also share some dinners and also go out to the town for some meals also.

I will be bringing an outdoor propane cooker. If you have any large stock pots let me know.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
dbrogdon5

I do not believe I have any pots but ill keep an eye out. I have a passport so i think i am good there. I will let you know if i come across any items that will be beneficial to everyone
Old 09-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrogdon5 View Post
I do not believe I have any pots but ill keep an eye out. I have a passport so i think i am good there. I will let you know if i come across any items that will be beneficial to everyone
Even though you have a passport you still need to get a tourist visa.

I will try to put together a list of things we might need as we get closer to the time.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting you.

I will also try to have at least one get together here in San Diego before we leave.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #35
svendawg

Large pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Great glad to have you come along. Remember you have to get a tourist visa.

We are going to share in the expenses for groceries for breakfast: eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast, pancakes, cereal, etc.

We will get sandwich stuff to bring along for the day.

Also share some dinners and also go out to the town for some meals also.

I will be bringing an outdoor propane cooker. If you have any large stock pots let me know.
buddha

I have a large stock pot I can being, we can talk when we get together
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #36
makobob
Baitless on Baja

90 days and counting! This is the 1st Baja or Bust for 2014 with 6 of us ready to go, join us!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #37
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

Budda

Is this your trip there ? if it is its a great place; I world taking lots of plastics tails and leads heads the calico fishing is outstanding and 6x jr for yo yo for the yellow tail any color will work, if you a get Juan to take you to san pablo up the coast there is a reef there you will yo yo there .also take x rap rapalas the deep diver ones. sometimes the yellowfin tuna come there also so bring trolling feathers and cedar plugs. in your kayaks troll around the islands with cd 14 and 18 rapalas, always troll a rapala when you are moving the fish are close sometimes come close to shore. when i did that l got two yellowfin tuna and a dorado, trolling cd rapalas the kids in town fish from shore with cut bait and do very well they even catch small yellowtail from shore. sounds like a great trip. good luck. sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #38
momo fish

guess its a personal choice. Spoke to owners of place we are staying at and they said in 40 years they been living and driving there, they have never been asked for FFM. And told us not to buy one..

so confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
buddha

I have a large stock pot I can being, we can talk when we get together
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #39
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
guess its a personal choice. Spoke to owners of place we are staying at and they said in 40 years they been living and driving there, they have never been asked for FFM. And told us not to buy one..

so confused.
Shari the owner of the house we are staying at told us it is best to get the tourist visas right after you cross the border.

Better safe than sorry especially in Mexico.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #40
momo fish

I know.. Just confusing as some say get it and so e don't as its a waste.. I was told unless your in TJ or Ensenada its not worth it as you won't get stopped and asked for it.. I rather save money and spend it on the locals verses paying for something that is rarely checked.. I will start a poll here

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Shari the owner of the house we are staying at told us it is best to get the tourist visas right after you cross the border.

Better safe than sorry especially in Mexico.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote