Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
SHARK BAIT

KAYA TANK

WAS THINKING OF INSTALLING A KAYA TANK. WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS? THANKS
SHARK BAIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
TheSherThang

I have one that came with a used yak I bought

Barely used it but here is my take.

Pro: Low center of gravity. Easy access without turning around. Good craftsmanship.

Con: You have a bunch of water that if anything happens to the tank, it'll be in your yak instead of on top of it like other tanks.
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARK BAIT View Post
WAS THINKING OF INSTALLING A KAYA TANK. WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS? THANKS
I've got one on my Prowler 15 and really like it.

Pros: Always rigged and ready to go, nothing to forget except battery. Low center of gravity. Convenient location on Prowler, right between your legs.

Cons: Not portable to other kayaks. Potential for it to rupture or leak into your hull, it could sink you quickly, but I've never heard of that happening.

Proper installation is very important, I installed myself because I have trust issues.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...light=kayatank
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Kaya good.... bucket bad.... that pretty much sums it up!

Although, I agree that installing it properly is essential! And try to keep irons and other sharp objects out of it!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
madscientist

The only con I've found with my kayatank is I sometimes forget and leave bait in it. Makes the garage aromatic.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
And try to keep irons and other sharp objects out of it!
Actually; unless you take a very very sharp razor to the material of the kayaktank - hooks, knives irons rapalas can't do squat but puncture a tiny tiny tiny hole into the material.

I've been working with this material for 6 years and I can vouch that no COMMON yak situation will tear the kayaktank ever. Be prudent with your pump connections as any seaman would and you will have the best bait tank ever.

As for portability, AYS can build you a portable tank made of the same material. Mine is a perfect example. It's a portable tank.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Mo Betta

How do you empty it at the end of the day? So much for keeping my Yak bare bones and simplelol
Mo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
FISHIONADO

Its easy to empty the tank in a prowler, just turn the kayak on one side and the tank drains in less than a minute. At home I'll rinse it out and lift one side again to drain and I'm done.

It works great for keeping lobster also. Some day I hope to pull one that won't fit through the hatch, hasn't happened yet.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Turn your kayak over once you land or buy a cheap hand pump, which I would recommend having anyway, and pump the water out on your way in to shave weight.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
Turn your kayak over once you land or buy a cheap hand pump, which I would recommend having anyway, and pump the water out on your way in to shave weight.
The hand pump wouldn't work on a Prowler because the tank sits below the waterline and fills immediately. Something else that is cool about a kayatank on a Prowler, there is enough water flow without using the electric pump to keep 4-5 baits alive for hours.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
The hand pump wouldn't work on a Prowler because the tank sits below the waterline and fills immediately. Something else that is cool about a kayatank on a Prowler, there is enough water flow without using the electric pump to keep 4-5 baits alive for hours.
True. It's good and bad. When the battery dies you still have a serviceable tank, but when you don't have any live bait with you, you still gotta haul around the extra weight. This only applies to the prowler I think. The only other problem is when bleeding a fish, make sure you don't get the blood in the prowler tank or it clogs up the pump when it coagulates.

It's a great system. I love mine.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
Actually; unless you take a very very sharp razor to the material of the kayaktank - hooks, knives irons rapalas can't do squat but puncture a tiny tiny tiny hole into the material.
I know the material is tough, but that is great to know! When I first got mine, I was a little worried about some of the more frantic bait hammering away at it; but it really has proven impervious to all the abuse I have given it. I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market that I've seen yet.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
True. It's good and bad. When the battery dies you still have a serviceable tank, but when you don't have any live bait with you, you still gotta haul around the extra weight. This only applies to the prowler I think.
I've got an X-Factor and my KayaTank will fill up at least 2/3 full even without the pump on. Hauling around that extra weight isn't as bad as it would be with an on-deck tank.

I don't think I'll ever go back to an on-deck bait tank. The Kayatank has worked well for me and I'm very satisfied. I know it takes a little convincing to drill holes in the bottom of your kayak, but it's worth it.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #15
Siebler

Hey guys if you KNOW you will not be using your tank for the day we do have plugs that you can use. The exhaust must be pluged from the outside so its not something you do and then decide to unplug while out unless you paddle back to shore.

There are a few tanks that will fill up partially without turning on, although none are like the prowler tanks.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #16
SHARK BAIT

WELL GUYS, THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO. I AM GOING TO PUT A KAYA TANK IN MY X-FACTOR. HAVE TO WAIT A FEW WEEKS FOR IT TO GET, BUT I THINK IT WILL BE WELL WORTH THE WAIT.
SHARK BAIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #17
jscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
True. It's good and bad. When the battery dies you still have a serviceable tank, but when you don't have any live bait with you, you still gotta haul around the extra weight. This only applies to the prowler I think. The only other problem is when bleeding a fish, make sure you don't get the blood in the prowler tank or it clogs up the pump when it coagulates.

It's a great system. I love mine.
I have a FND with a kayaktank==> my tank fills about 2/3 full without pump on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc View Post
Hey guys if you KNOW you will not be using your tank for the day we do have plugs that you can use. The exhaust must be pluged from the outside so its not something you do and then decide to unplug while out unless you paddle back to shore.

There are a few tanks that will fill up partially without turning on, although none are like the prowler tanks.
How can I get a plug?
Is there a way I could rig a rope to it so that I could put it on before launching- and pull it off if I change my mind while out OTW?

Thanks...
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #18
jscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post

It works great for keeping lobster also. Some day I hope to pull one that won't fit through the hatch, hasn't happened yet.
Hey--- I wondered about that....how many lobster can you fit inside?
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #19
Siebler

Jscott, just come by AYS and ill hook you up. If i can remember ill take some to Fred Hall as well so if anybody needs them just find me in the OEX booth.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #20
TheSherThang

CJ, are you going to be at the LB or the SD one? I can't make the LB one. Also, will you be at the OEX Oceanside Inshore Day?

Kayak is working great by the way!
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote